Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Luton moving on out

Seems their time at Kenilworth Road is almost over. Shame in some ways given it's fair to say it is somewhat iconic, even if rather derided and mocked from time to time. Will give them some credit mind as their new stadium design does look pretty unique and is not just some boring bowl like so many other new stadiums.

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2023/may/imagine-the-power

Large

400-pct-v03-r02.jpg

This has been on the books for ages Cambridge, if you saw where they’re putting it you’d never believe they’d fit a footie stadium in there let alone all the other things going in there 

unlike most clubs Luton are using this stadium to regenerate a derelict area of their town centre (much to the annoyance of the mall who tried to block the move and in true Luton style, the club moved their store out of the mall to just outside in retaliation) its slap bang in the middle of both train stations and will be a real asset to the town. 

It will also kick start more regeneration across the town including the mall 

there’s been a few hurdles down the line including them having to rotate the design 90 degrees and a river flowing under the proposed new ground but as you say it’s not a boring bowl design and it’s a move the club need as they progress forward 

should be in within the next 2-3 years 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Old news. Luton fan colleague has been going on about this for years. He's excited. He's not dumb and realises that heartbreaking as it is Kenilworth road is done. 

40 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Old news. Luton fan colleague has been going on about this for years. He's excited. He's not dumb and realises that heartbreaking as it is Kenilworth road is done. 

Certainly isn’t heartbreaking for anyone who wants anything other than a 19th century experience by candlelight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That river outside the ground seems like a TERRIBLE idea for a bunch of pissed up 40-60 year olds…

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Looks impressive. Exciting for them. 

That’s exactly how I thought when I flew from Luton London last May. Then realised Luton wasn’t London and had to stay in a Holiday Express the day before my holiday and still had to walk 15 mins to the airport at 5am in the morning…

18 minutes ago, WD40 said:

That river outside the ground seems like a TERRIBLE idea for a bunch of pissed up 40-60 year olds…

All part of a scheme to open up the river lea which the victorians thought would be a good idea to put underground 

I had the absolute pleasure of being invited to the grand opening of hat gardens where they did something similar 

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Trent Bridge cricket ground and the City Ground are just yards apart

Forest have coped with it for years

7 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

That’s exactly how I thought when I flew from Luton London last May. Then realised Luton wasn’t London and had to stay in a Holiday Express the day before my holiday and still had to walk 15 mins to the airport at 5am in the morning…

Oh dear, poor you, having to walk 15 whole minutes to go on holiday. I hope you were awarded a medal? Maybe the airport staff gave you a round of applause for your incredible hardship. Whatever happened, I'm proud of you. 

7 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Get yerself one o' these....China: Motorised suitcase could take you to the airport - BBC News

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh dear, poor you, having to walk 15 whole minutes to go on holiday. I hope you were awarded a medal? Maybe the airport staff gave you a round of applause for your incredible hardship. Whatever happened, I'm proud of you. 

Thanks man! I thought the same when I reached the check in area. I assume you’ve never flown from Luton? 

“The horror… the horror…” 

10 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems their time at Kenilworth Road is almost over. Shame in some ways given it's fair to say it is somewhat iconic, even if rather derided and mocked from time to time. Will give them some credit mind as their new stadium design does look pretty unique and is not just some boring bowl like so many other new stadiums.

Conceived in 2015/16, initial planning permisson given in 2016 to '2020 Developments (Luton)', scheme running at least two years late.

They won't be moving on out any time soon.

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Conceived in 2015/16, initial planning permisson given in 2016 to '2020 Developments (Luton)', scheme running at least two years late.

They won't be moving on out any time soon.

Within 2-3 years 

1 hour ago, Danke bitte said:

Thanks man! I thought the same when I reached the check in area. I assume you’ve never flown from Luton? 

“The horror… the horror…” 

Luckily I know enough people who work there to get free car parking, fast track and even a coffee on the way thru 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

All part of a scheme to open up the river lea which the victorians thought would be a good idea to put underground 

I had the absolute pleasure of being invited to the grand opening of hat gardens where they did something similar 

Is that similar to Hatton Gardens? I was at a rather grand opening of that once, but I'll stop there lest I incriminate myself.

Well the area/town could certainly do with some regeneration. Without doubt one of the biggest sh*tholes in the Uk, and I include a number of highly deprived northern dives in that comparison.

No doubt another club we will soon be told we can’t compete with within two or three years due to their new ground and proximity to London. Whilst our owners continue to stifle the growth of our club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well the area/town could certainly do with some regeneration. Without doubt one of the biggest sh*tholes in the Uk, and I include a number of highly deprived northern dives in that comparison.

No doubt another club we will soon be told we can’t compete with within two or three years due to their new ground and proximity to London. Whilst our owners continue to stifle the growth of our club. 

You’re a ray of sunshine aren’t you lol 

36 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Luckily I know enough people who work there to get free car parking, fast track and even a coffee on the way thru 

You sir, are living like a Lord

52 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Within 2-3 years 

"... groundworks for the new stadium should begin by the turn of the year with the construction period for the stadium itself estimated at around 24-30 months."

So, best case scenario is Jan 2025, July 2025 is still within their projection, and any slippage could see that closer to 2026.

So not within 2-3 years at all.

Edited by NewNestCarrow
edit

16 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

"... groundworks for the new stadium should begin by the turn of the year with the construction period for the stadium itself estimated at around 24-30 months."

So, best case scenario is Jan 2025, July 2025 is still within their projection, and any slippage could see that closer to 2026.

I know norfolk is a little bit behind the times but in Hertfordshire we’re in 2023 so 2-3 years falls within your timeline above unless I’ve grossly misunderstood it 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I know norfolk is a little bit behind the times but in Hertfordshire we’re in 2023 so 2-3 years falls within your timeline above unless I’ve grossly misunderstood it 

Not sure why "Norfolk" has got anything to do with it.  Do you think you are the only poster that lives outside the county?

As the Power Court project has already slipped by at least two years (see below) then I have no reason to believe that July 2026 is a trustworthy date for completion.  We will see.

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2021/march/power-court/

• Late 2021 – Commencement of initial works at Power Court.   
  • 2022 – Initial phases of development at Newlands Park and Power Court complete.

Edited by NewNestCarrow
ed

12 hours ago, Yobocop said:

This has been on the books for ages Cambridge, if you saw where they’re putting it you’d never believe they’d fit a footie stadium in there let alone all the other things going in there 

unlike most clubs Luton are using this stadium to regenerate a derelict area of their town centre (much to the annoyance of the mall who tried to block the move and in true Luton style, the club moved their store out of the mall to just outside in retaliation) its slap bang in the middle of both train stations and will be a real asset to the town. 

It will also kick start more regeneration across the town including the mall 

there’s been a few hurdles down the line including them having to rotate the design 90 degrees and a river flowing under the proposed new ground but as you say it’s not a boring bowl design and it’s a move the club need as they progress forward 

should be in within the next 2-3 years 

To be honest though, there’s an awful lot of Luton that needs regenerating!

29 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Not sure why "Norfolk" has got anything to do with it.  Do you think you are the only poster that lives outside the county?

As the Power Court project has already slipped by at least two years (see below) then I have no reason to believe that July 2026 is a trustworthy date for completion.  We will see.

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2021/march/power-court/

• Late 2021 – Commencement of initial works at Power Court.   
  • 2022 – Initial phases of development at Newlands Park and Power Court complete.

Awww I was only jesting my friend, I’m sure Bristol canary, Cambridgeshire canary and a few others are not from norfolk ; - ) 

you are of course 100% correct, we shall see a lot of work to do at Newland’s park too and believe Covid has played a huge part 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Large

400-pct-v03-r02.jpg

Do try to keep up old bean, I mentioned this in the previous thread about Luton needing to spend £10M on Kenilworth Rd if they get promoted to the Prem........

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Do you mean slippage into the river 😀 - it looks no closer than the River Wensum to Carrow Road to me 

12 hours ago, WD40 said:

Football Away Days on Twitter: "Gayfield Park. Home of Arbroath F.C. the  closest ground to the sea in Europe🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 https://t.co/1e42t5Yzev"  / Twitter    Check out Arbroath's stadiums seaside location

Edited by KiwiScot

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

To be honest though, there’s an awful lot of Luton that needs regenerating!

Yes, Luton doesn’t trouble the ‘ Best Places To Live In England ‘ chart very often.

There’s all this talk of levelling up the North. With due respect to Lutonians who’ve probably got a soft spot for it perhaps the easiest solution in Luton’s case is just levelling ( wink )