dylanisabaddog

Your favourite films

Also, no great revelation to most here but I watched Heat for the first time last night, it was brilliant. 

Edited by king canary

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

No it's on my list but I feel like it would benefit from a big screen viewing? I'm hoping when the sequel comes out cinemas might reshow one just before!

It is definitely worth seeing on the big screen. A big TV with a great sound system at the very least.  It got simultaneous release in cinemas and on HBO max, and I bet people will have seen it on HBO and then decided to see it at the cinema, as the cinematography is spectacular.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Also, no great revelation to most here but I watched Heat for the first time last night, it was brilliant. 

I watched LA confidential for the first time, really enjoyed it 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Excellent film, quite a cast. 

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

The ‘fake’ Lana Turner scene is a hoot.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Excellent film, quite a cast. 

Yes one of the best films of it's time and hold up well, but trigger warning for the offended. Kevin Spacey is in it! Maybe a good stepping stone film if you're planning on watching American Beauty

10 hours ago, king canary said:

No it's on my list but I feel like it would benefit from a big screen viewing? I'm hoping when the sequel comes out cinemas might reshow one just before!

It benefits from the big screen from a cinematography perspective, but having been a big fan of Dune I found it a bit boring and I had a complete lack of interest in the characters. I felt parts of it were oversimpathetic to social commentary, but it can only play to it's modern audience and it's not making it up just highlighting the source material a bit more. I've watched the David Lynch film, read the books, the other screen version and played the games. It's a difficult book to adapt and alter so every version tends to tell pretty much an identical story. I prefer the 80's film which being fair, is an "ok" movie, but it's more fun.

However I'd wait for the next one to come then try to watch both new the ones together. Otherwise read the book(s), but once they go past where the films go it gets pretty confusing.

Edited by KiwiScot

16 hours ago, king canary said:

If you enjoyed Heat (I did too) you might enjoy Baby Driver. Sadly Kevin Spacey's personal life got in the way of the release a bit. 

It's an extraordinary film because the writer/director chose the soundtrack and wrote the film around it. It's not a musical but much of the film is choreographed around the background music. 

It's a shame about Spacey being involved because I can think of several actors who would've matched or improved on his performance. 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If you enjoyed Heat (I did too) you might enjoy Baby Driver. Sadly Kevin Spacey's personal life got in the way of the release a bit. 

It's an extraordinary film because the writer/director chose the soundtrack and wrote the film around it. It's not a musical but much of the film is choreographed around the background music. 

It's a shame about Spacey being involved because I can think of several actors who would've matched or improved on his performance. 

Ah yes. Great film, great soundtrack.

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The ‘fake’ Lana Turner scene is a hoot.

Very very different to La Confidential, is a Danish historical  romantic drama (available on Netflix) called Ehrengard or the Art of Seduction. Great sparring dialogue between the would-be seducer and the grand duchess, played by Sidse Babett Knudsen, who was the prime minister in Borgen.

Edited by PurpleCanary

I've started the Christmas film viewing. It was Gremlins last night, Elf next weekend then Muppet Christmas Carol after the Huddersfield game. Only after that will it officially be Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

Will also watch Christmas Chronicles at some point. Kurt Russell is a great santa.

Then Star Wars on New years day. The first film I watch every year.

Any of you have films you watch every Christmas?

5 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I've started the Christmas film viewing. It was Gremlins last night, Elf next weekend then Muppet Christmas Carol after the Huddersfield game. Only after that will it officially be Christmas as far as I'm concerned.

Will also watch Christmas Chronicles at some point. Kurt Russell is a great santa.

We have to watch Home Alone in my house, still find it funny

• Like 1

Elf sits in the group of films that everyone but me seems to love. Probably didn't help that I had loads of 'you HAVE to watch Elf!' comments before I finally did.

Can put Forrest Gump in that same category.

On 10/12/2023 at 08:47, The Raptor said:

The Wizard of Oz.

• Like 1

So it's Christmas films eh. Well Star Wars has been mentioned and of course there is the great escape and the large amount of war films that get put on. I have noticed less of those films in the TV guide going on about that Jesus guy.

@king canary - You know I must have seen Elf, but don't recall it. Is it a Will Ferrell thing? If not give Semi-Pro a go, which has nothing to do with Christmas. It's a comedy about a lower league basketball club getting disbanded with one more season left.

49 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

So it's Christmas films eh. Well Star Wars has been mentioned and of course there is the great escape and the large amount of war films that get put on. I have noticed less of those films in the TV guide going on about that Jesus guy.

@king canary - You know I must have seen Elf, but don't recall it. Is it a Will Ferrell thing? If not give Semi-Pro a go, which has nothing to do with Christmas. It's a comedy about a lower league basketball club getting disbanded with one more season left.

It is Will Ferrell- I've never seen semi pro but I do enjoy his films generally. I'd really recommend The Other Guys which is a fantastic comedy starring him and Mark Wahlberg. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It is Will Ferrell- I've never seen semi pro but I do enjoy his films generally. I'd really recommend The Other Guys which is a fantastic comedy starring him and Mark Wahlberg. 

Well I'm the guy standing behind the masses chanting must watch Elf who's saying watch Semi-Pro instead. I'll download this other guys I need something to watch and comedy is so rare now.

Edited by KiwiScot

Debbie Does Dallas every Christmas Eve, a coming to age film classic. 

As it's Christmas this is my favorite Christmas film.. 

A very modern take and shake up of the scrooge tale, musical but every song hits. Absolutely love it. 

MV5BMGMzYmZmNjYtMTFmZS00ZGY4LWIwNWUtMzYwNjcyYTI4YTRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Great Escape! 

I always knew that Steve McQueen wasn't allowed to film the scene involving him jumping barbed wire on a motorbike but heard on the radio yesterday that he actually took part in the scene as a German soldier on a motorbike. 

When I acquired Dylan as a puppy the breeder had named him Hilts because he kept escaping all the time 😊

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Great Escape! 

I always knew that Steve McQueen wasn't allowed to film the scene involving him jumping barbed wire on a motorbike but heard on the radio yesterday that he actually took part in the scene as a German soldier on a motorbike. 

When I acquired Dylan as a puppy the breeder had named him Hilts because he kept escaping all the time 😊

"Gut luck."

"Thank you......ah bollox...LEG IT!!!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

"Gut luck."

"Thank you......ah bollox...LEG IT!!!"

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The Great Escape! 

I've got a great idea. It might not be, but let me know. A Christmas re-make of The Great Escape. Like a mostly serious slight comedy version, but set in Christmas and say they escape in santa outfits. Still have all the sad bits like the scotsman dying on the fence, the poor forger losing his sight and of course "Good Luck".

• Haha 2

For Christmas...Has to be It's a Wonderful Life which still gives me a lump in my throat, even though I've seen it dozens of times... and an honourable nod to The Bishop's Wife with David Niven & Cary Grant. The dialogue is excellent. Then, most versions of the Christmas Carol, old and new, but Alastair Sim as Scrooge is always my favourite. Something utterly comic and tragic in his eyes, both at once.

IMG_20231216_111150.jpg

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 11:12, sonyc said:

For Christmas...Has to be It's a Wonderful Life which still gives me a lump in my throat, even though I've seen it dozens of times

A great but very sad film when you don't know much about it and expect a christmas

@king canary I gave the other guys a go and it was ok and tbh I would have preferred it if the rock and Sam J were in it throughout. Also watched Elf for something festive to end the night. Oh dear. Do people really insist on watching that rubbish every Christmas. Bah Humbug

IMG_20231216_111150.jpg

Edited by KiwiScot

On 08/12/2023 at 17:51, FenwayFrank said:

If you can put up with James Ellroy's writing style (not for everyone) the books are great reads too.

Apples

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

If you can put up with James Ellroy's writing style (not for everyone) the books are great reads too.

Apples

Yes. I read American Tabloid and, although a fantastic read, nobody other than Bobby Kennedy comes out of it with any sense of decency. JFK is completely rinsed. 👍😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canary73 said:

Has to be this feel good festive favourite...

Wicker Man.jpg

I was lucky just to channel flick onto it one night and not long after it starting. I didn't know the title or seen any posters so the ending was very surprising