dylanisabaddog

Your favourite films

On 16/12/2023 at 11:12, sonyc said:

For Christmas...Has to be It's a Wonderful Life which still gives me a lump in my throat, even though I've seen it dozens of times... and an honourable nod to The Bishop's Wife with David Niven & Cary Grant. The dialogue is excellent. Then, most versions of the Christmas Carol, old and new, but Alastair Sim as Scrooge is always my favourite. Something utterly comic and tragic in his eyes, both at once.

IMG_20231216_111150.jpg

Excellent choices. Not really a Christmas film as such, but  Oliver! the musical is in the tradition. In principle I hate musicals but in practice I love an awful lot of them, & the songs in Oliver! are brilliant (as is most of the acting). Wizard of Oz is another great one - and no list is complete without A Muppet Christmas Carol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Just noticed SISU is on NOW TV.

That's tonight's viewing sorted out 👍

Didn't they own coventry?

Rogue one watch complete. 

Nicely sets up the mornings traditional viewing of Star Wars. Always the 1st film I see every year. 

Then I supposed I'd better go to the game. Unless it's raining in which case Empire strikes back it is!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Just noticed SISU is on NOW TV.

That's tonight's viewing sorted out 👍

Did the lead actor actually speak in the film? I saw the first 30 minutes and he didn't say a word! 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Did the lead actor actually speak in the film? I saw the first 30 minutes and he didn't say a word! 

I got waylaid by the Last Leg being on.

Today 😁

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

SISU.

Well that was a bloody good watch I have to say 👍

Well then, did he actually get to speak? 

I got one of those unlimited film passes for Christmas so I've seen three films already this year which is unusual for me.

The Boy and the Heron- I've never seen a Miyazaki film before and thus was largely confused by this. Beautiful to look at though and moving at points.

The Beekeeper- I saw this by accident (the cinema does mystery screenings each month so I went and it was this). Trashy, dumb and largely pretty enjoyable. Dialogue is at times so bad it is funny. Statham can't do accents. If you want to switch your brain off and watch stupid action scenes and dreadful bee puns this is the film for you. 

Poor Things- Stunning, lives up to the hype. Stone is wonderful but Mark Ruffalo was an amazing surprise. Visually stunning and is simultaneously beautiful, moving and hilarious. Some will dislike the weirdness and don't go if your not a fan of nudity/sex/bad language as there is LOTS of it. 

• Like 2

Saw Poor Things on Friday and it was absolutely incredible. Two older persons walked out at the first sight of gore and nudity (which was probably to their benefit with everything else that followed). There's been a bit of ScotNat controversy about taking the setting away from Glasgow, but all the locations are so exaggerated and fantasy-like I can't see that it makes much of a difference.

Hoping to see The Holdovers this weekend, which has picked up some rave reviews and Paul Giamatti is always worth a watch.

Apples

4 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Two older persons walked out at the first sight of gore

Reminds of when I was seeing Battle Royale at the cinema

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Saw Poor Things on Friday and it was absolutely incredible. Two older persons walked out at the first sight of gore and nudity (which was probably to their benefit with everything else that followed). There's been a bit of ScotNat controversy about taking the setting away from Glasgow, but all the locations are so exaggerated and fantasy-like I can't see that it makes much of a difference.

Hoping to see The Holdovers this weekend, which has picked up some rave reviews and Paul Giamatti is always worth a watch.

Apples

I'm intrigued by the Holdovers. I love Paul Giamatti and Sideways was a wonderful film so him and Alexander Payne combined is always a treat. The trailer made it look unbearably schmaltzy though so I was a bit surprised to see the rave reviews coming in. 

Just noticed Clerks is 30 years old today. Probably not to everyone's tastes but I like it. Will give it a watch in a bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Just noticed Clerks is 30 years old today. Probably not to everyone's tastes but I like it. Will give it a watch in a bit.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Fantastic film and so instantly quotable.

'I'm not even supposed to be here today!'

'No time for love Doctor Jones!

and of course....

'My girlfriend sucked 37 ****!' ..... 'in a row?'

1 minute ago, king canary said:

'My girlfriend sucked 37 ****!' ..... 'in a row?'

Clerks 2 is good as well in that it doesn't try that much to be original more a feel good nostagia take.

Kevin Smith films more miss than hit with Dogma being a highlight although I've never looked at his more recent work. Oh! Just discovered there is a Clerks 3.

Edited by KiwiScot

49 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Clerks 2 is good as well in that it doesn't try that much to be original more a feel good nostagia take.

Kevin Smith films more miss than hit with Dogma being a highlight although I've never looked at his more recent work. Oh! Just discovered there is a Clerks 3.

Dogma is excellent, as is Chasing Amy. Mallrats is hit and miss. Jay and Silent Bob strike back was the funniest film in the world to me when I was 14, less so now.

Red State was his most interesting film outside of the Jay and Silent Bob verse. I've not got the stomach for Tusk though.

10 hours ago, king canary said:

Dogma is excellent, as is Chasing Amy. Mallrats is hit and miss. Jay and Silent Bob strike back was the funniest film in the world to me when I was 14, less so now.

Red State was his most interesting film outside of the Jay and Silent Bob verse. I've not got the stomach for Tusk though.

• Like 1

Saw All of Us Strangers last night, very moving film, especially for anyone who has lost parents. Glad I saw it but don't think I fancy watching it again any time soon.

Andrew Scott was excellent but I was mainly surprised by Jamie Bell- I've never found him particularly compelling but he's excellent in this.

• Like 2

I watched Landscape with Invisible Hand last night. A very ood mix of funny, thoughtful and depressing. The plot revolves around the years after first contact with an alien species who go on to get involved in business on Earth and finish up making all human industry, services, and employees redundant. Funnier than you might think given the subject matter.

On 19/01/2024 at 10:23, king canary said:

I'm intrigued by the Holdovers. I love Paul Giamatti and Sideways was a wonderful film so him and Alexander Payne combined is always a treat. The trailer made it look unbearably schmaltzy though so I was a bit surprised to see the rave reviews coming in. 

Finally got to the Holdovers today and it was brilliant (the trailer doesn't do it justice). Upliftingly funny and heartbreakingly sad in equal amounts, visually stunning and a great cast. Destined to become a Christmas classic (despite seeing it in February 🤦😅).

Apples

11 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Finally got to the Holdovers today and it was brilliant (the trailer doesn't do it justice). Upliftingly funny and heartbreakingly sad in equal amounts, visually stunning and a great cast. Destined to become a Christmas classic (despite seeing it in February 🤦😅).

Apples

I saw the trailer and decided it was American schmaltz to be avoided but your opinion was seconded by a friend yesterday. I'll do my best to see it but I have One Life and the Jodie Comer film already booked next week. 

• Like 1

I watched One Life this afternoon. If you don't know the story it's well worth a watch. It's an extraordinary story. I've walked past the memorial at Liverpool St Station many times without giving it much thought but I found myself very moved watching the film. 

Anthony Hopkins is excellent as always. A wonderful understated performance. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2024 at 07:15, dylanisabaddog said:

Well then, did he actually get to speak? 

Got round to Sisu yesterday. Batsh*t crazy, ludicrous Finnish grindhouse and incredibly entertaining. 🫣🤣

Wish I'd seen it at the cinema rather than TV as the backdrop looked amazing. He says just two things as far as I can recall. 😂

Apples

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure of 'favourite' but a film that made an impression with me was The Northman from a few years back.

I really must keep a list of films to watch, whenever I find the time my mind goes blank.

I just saw the Iron Claw, as a wrestling fan it's right in my wheelhouse but suffers from trying to pack too much in, leaving key characters undercooked. Enjoyable but would have been better as a miniseries.

• Like 1

I've just seen Wicked Little Letters which is loosely based on a true story. It's OK for a dull Sunday afternoon when Burnley v Sheffield United is on tv. 

As for 'based on a true story'. Hmmmm.