dylanisabaddog

Your favourite films

I've been re-watching Billions and now I'm on Breaking Bad again. I notice there is a shared actor in both of them and reckon a Breaking Bad/Billions crossover of the two characters would work with a Walter White into Heisenburg style approach.

Saw 'The Creator' last night. Visually it's great. The story is a bit predicable in places but I'd say it's worth a watch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Saw 'The Creator' last night. Visually it's great. The story is a bit predicable in places but I'd say it's worth a watch.

Thanks. I had been planning to see it tomorrow.

22 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I saw the trailer and rolled my eyes a bit but the good reviews I've seen have made me curious to see it. I think people are ready for a bit of good quality sci-fi that doesn't fall under the Marvel or Star Wars banner. 

• Like 1

Yes. I wasn't sure from the trailer but was swayed by the reviews and the fact it was made by the guy who made rogue one which is my favourite/easily the best star wars film since the originals trilogy. Glad I made the effort. 

Just watched Reptile on netflix. I enjoyed alot. Now its te to order some lego.and get to work to do the overtime to pay for it!

• Like 1

On 05/10/2023 at 15:35, king canary said:

I saw the trailer and rolled my eyes a bit but the good reviews I've seen have made me curious to see it. I think people are ready for a bit of good quality sci-fi that doesn't fall under the Marvel or Star Wars banner. 

I think the last decent Sci fi film I saw was Arrival 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think the last decent Sci fi film I saw was Arrival 

Arrival is excellent, with an unforeseen (by me at least) emotional twist at the end. The Creator is OK, but like so many films let down by an often clunky script and too many supposedly tense but actually predictable "We gotta get out of here NOW!" scenes.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Arrival is excellent, with an unforeseen (by me at least) emotional twist at the end. The Creator is OK, but like so many films let down by an often clunky script and too many supposedly tense but actually predictable "We gotta get out of here NOW!" scenes.

I loved Arrival and like you I didn't see the twist coming which took my breath away. Wonderful film.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I loved Arrival and like you I didn't see the twist coming which took my breath away. Wonderful film.

Yes. The way it is filmed /edited makes you think certain events have happened in one order of time when they have happened in a significantly different order. And of course time not happening - or being understood - in a linear way is key to the whole film.

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I bow down before you and @PurpleCanary

I had to watch it twice to understand the ending 😂

On 04/10/2023 at 17:16, The Raptor said:

Having seen it on Wednesday I'm pretty much in line with your take.

The story and dialogue are pretty heavy handed and nothing we haven't seen before- I could have predicted the ending coming with ease and the amount of exposition in the dialogue was laughable at times. I also have to question how the two American soldiers pursing the main characters were able to head around a country they were seemingly at war with with little to no issue.

Saying that...it looked beautiful. Very different to most Sci Fi I've seen. Aesthetically it reminded me a bit of Blade Runner and I thought the Nomad ship was a fascinating design concept. Overall enjoyable, worth a night at the cinema and it also didn't trigger my current bugbear of films being so bloody long these days- just over two hours works fine for me.

I just watched WarGames. It's a 1983 film about a military supercomputer in control of the US nuclear arsenal, starring Matthew Broderick and Ally Sheedy. Broderick unintentionally starts a simulation running that the computer can't distinguish from reality, so a coundown is on to stop the US accidentally launching a first strike on Russia. 

We had it on tape when I was 6 or7 years old. I thought it was really cool, with all the hacking and so on; I used to watch it again and again. It's really interesting, though, watching it again as an adult and realising just how well-crafted the story was and how well thought-out it was.

• Like 1

Went to see 'Killers of the Flower Moon' last night. I'm always skeptical about films needing to be that long but what a powerful piece it was. Fantastic acting across the board, especially De Niro and Lily Gladstone. Well worth seeking out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 23/10/2023 at 10:13, king canary said:

Went to see 'Killers of the Flower Moon' last night. I'm always skeptical about films needing to be that long but what a powerful piece it was. Fantastic acting across the board, especially De Niro and Lily Gladstone. Well worth seeking out. 

Saw it this afternoon. Despite its length it didn't drag at all. Positively Shakespearian. And like most American drama is all about family. Without giving anything away, towards the end there is truth followed by one lie. I wonder what would have happened if that final answer had been truthful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Saw it this afternoon. Despite its length it didn't drag at all. Positively Shakespearian. And like most American drama is all about family. Without giving anything away, towards the end there is truth followed by one lie. I wonder what would have happened if that final answer had been truthful.

Hope to see it tomorrow (technically today)

Heard great things. Was slightly concerned about the length. (Oh! Suits you sir!) But multiple reviews have said see it. So I will.

6 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Hope to see it tomorrow (technically today)

Heard great things. Was slightly concerned about the length. (Oh! Suits you sir!) But multiple reviews have said see it. So I will.

Yeah the length was my main concern but it didn't drag at any point.

So I've got a free house this evening and considering settling in for a lengthy film that I've not had a chance to see yet. I've got three choices so should I watch...

• The Irishman
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Dune

Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, king canary said:

So I've got a free house this evening and considering settling in for a lengthy film that I've not had a chance to see yet. I've got three choices so should I watch...

• The Irishman
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • Dune

Any recommendations?

If you haven't seen The Long Shadow it's available on ITV X and worth a watch. Sorry, I haven't seen any of those films 

• Like 1

Settled for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and was mildly underwhelmed- can't see what all the fuss I'd heard was about.

• Like 1

I found it pretty self indulgent. The couple of minutes insane violence at the end was great but apart from that I thought it was pretty dull. 

In the latest sign of how cinema's are being sidelined, there is a new movie by one of our more interesting working directors, David Fincher, out now to relatively little fanfare because it'll be on Netflix in two weeks.

Very odd.

On 27/10/2023 at 14:24, king canary said:

Settled for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and was mildly underwhelmed- can't see what all the fuss I'd heard was about.

Saw it last night, knowing nothing about it. I thought the ending was extremely distasteful, given the  real story. I guessed there was going to be ending linked to the Manson massacre the moment Brad Pitt (given where he hung out) met the hippie chick, although it didn't work out quite that way. But either way, to turn tragedy into screwball farce was not a  good idea.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

Saw it last night, knowing nothing about it. I thought the ending was extremely distasteful, given the  real story. I guessed there was going to be ending linked to the Manson massacre the moment Brad Pitt (given where he lived) met the hippie chick, although it didn't work out quite that way. But either way, to turn tragedy into screwball farce was not a  good idea.

I read an interesting piece that described it as Tarantino's love letter to a lost era that the Manson family murders is seen as ending. It was all a bit school boyish wish fulfilment, if only some brave strapping cowboy action hero had been there to save them then everything would have been ok and Hollywood would still be making the kind of films he idolises. 

It wasn't for me.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 18:21, king canary said:

I read an interesting piece that described it as Tarantino's love letter to a lost era that the Manson family murders is seen as ending. It was all a bit school boyish wish fulfilment, if only some brave strapping cowboy action hero had been there to save them then everything would have been ok and Hollywood would still be making the kind of films he idolises. 

It wasn't for me.

I don't know if you've got around to the new Dune film yet. Very faithful to the book and takes the time to fill in more of the concepts from the book than the original 80s film does.

Or you could hold off until the end of February 2023 and then go and see part two days after when it's released!

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't know if you've got around to the new Dune film yet. Very faithful to the book and takes the time to fill in more of the concepts from the book than the original 80s film does.

Or you could hold off until the end of February 2023 and then go and see part two days after when it's released!

No it's on my list but I feel like it would benefit from a big screen viewing? I'm hoping when the sequel comes out cinemas might reshow one just before!

• Like 1