dylanisabaddog

Your favourite films

On 09/05/2023 at 19:59, Wings of a Sparrow said:

*anyone seen Sisu yet?

I have. It's one of those films where you have to suspend belief but it's entertaining and the dog is great. 

The extraordinary thing is that the lead character doesn't speak which must be a first?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone seen 'Are you there God? It's me Margaret'. I would appreciate a review. 

Apparently it's based on a book I should have read but I haven't. 

35 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I have. It's one of those films where you have to suspend belief but it's entertaining and the dog is great. 

The extraordinary thing is that the lead character doesn't speak which must be a first?

Is it as violent as the trailer portrays it?

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

A three-quarter fan. Liked Rushmore, Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom. Sort of liked Budapest Hotel. Thought the last, the French Dispatch, was self-indulgent and unfunny. This sounds like a good one, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A three-quarter fan. Liked Rushmore, Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom. Sort of liked Budapest Hotel. Thought the last, the French Dispatch, was self-indulgent and unfunny. This sounds like a good one, though.

The reviews for French Dispatch were pretty scathing so I didn't bother. Budapest Hotel is a favourite. 

Favourite films -

Midnight Cowboy with John Voigt and Dustin Hoffman, mid-late 60s.  It was groundbreaking - one of the first to  use singles and album tracks by musicians of the day instead of a specially composed film score. 

It prefigured the likes of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs - I still can't listen to "Stuck in the Middle with You" without thinking of that torture scene.

When it comes to film scores, one of my all-time favourites is Dances with Wolves by John Barry.  In the early days of surroundsound in the cinema, the whole place reverberated.

Edited by benchwarmer

9 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Favourite films -

Midnight Cowboy with John Voigt and Dustin Hoffman, mid-late 60s.  It was groundbreaking - one of the first to  use singles and album tracks from musicians of the day like Simon & Garfunkel instead of a specially composed film score. 

It prefigured the likes of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs - I still can't listen to "Stuck in the Middle with You" without thinking of that torture scene.

When it comes to film scores, one of my all-time favourites is Dances with Wolves by John Barry.  In the early days of surroundsound in the cinema, the whole place reverberated.

The closing song in Midnight Cowboy was perfect. The only X film ever to win the Oscar for best picture 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 23:35, PurpleCanary said:

A three-quarter fan. Liked Rushmore, Tenenbaums, Moonrise Kingdom. Sort of liked Budapest Hotel. Thought the last, the French Dispatch, was self-indulgent and unfunny. This [Asteroid City] sounds like a good one, though.

Just seen  Asteroid City.  For what it's worth I found it tiresome and uninvolving.

Best 

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just seen  Asteroid City.  For what it's worth I found it tiresome and uninvolving.

Best not to recommend it then? 

9 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Thank you, that's saved me a few quid. I became suspicious when it got a 5 star review from The Independent 😂

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thank you, that's saved me a few quid. I became suspicious when it got a 5 star review from The Independent 😂

Having posted yesterday I then looked at some reviews, and I found a two-star one from the BBC"s Nicholas Barber which pretty much expressed what I thought:

"Asteroid City is ingenious and amusing, and yes, it's as meticulously designed as ever, but this perplexing pile of postmodernism seems intended to test the patience of the director's fans – to see how far he can venture away from human emotion and into arch, self-congratulatory whimsy before they give up on him. For the first time in his career, he's ventured too far for me."

Buit others loved it.

14 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Having posted yesterday I then looked at some reviews, and I found a two-star one from the BBC"s Nicholas Barber which pretty much expressed what I thought:

"Asteroid City is ingenious and amusing, and yes, it's as meticulously designed as ever, but this perplexing pile of postmodernism seems intended to test the patience of the director's fans – to see how far he can venture away from human emotion and into arch, self-congratulatory whimsy before they give up on him. For the first time in his career, he's ventured too far for me."

Buit others loved it.

The Coen brothers all over again 

• Like 1

Just seen Indy 5. I enjoyed it. Full of good action, chases, nazis, caves, travelling by map. Everything you want from Indiana Jones. Was perhaps 15 minutes too long and it did get a bit random at one point but a good way to finish. A few nice nods to the old films as well. 

Random comparison to Elton John alert.   Elton looked an old man at Glastonbury and the way he hobbled on to stage I wandered if he was going to make it thru the set. The minute he sat down at the piano and started playing you knew he was a rock star.

Same with Indy. Suit indy looked old but the minute he put on the hat and picked up the whip he's Indy.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Just seen Indy 5. I enjoyed it. Full of good action, chases, nazis, caves, travelling by map. Everything you want from Indiana Jones. Was perhaps 15 minutes too long and it did get a bit random at one point but a good way to finish. A few nice nods to the old films as well. 

Random comparison to Elton John alert.   Elton looked an old man at Glastonbury and the way he hobbled on to stage I wandered if he was going to make it thru the set. The minute he sat down at the piano and started playing you knew he was a rock star.

Same with Indy. Suit indy looked old but the minute he put on the hat and picked up the whip he's Indy.

Thanks for that. What was Phoebe like? 

Slightly annoying. Don't let that put you off tho as I've always thought that about her although I can't put my finger on why. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

On the subject of annoying, the girl in The Last of Us 

Last of Us is just annoying in general and it's not just her however I'm finding a lot of things boring or underwhelming these days.

Recently watched Everything everywhere all at once and I could see what it was doing, but found the whole thing just plain boring and pointless. Then watched Parasite which was ok, but a sign I wasn't enjoying watching much right now as it didn't grab me. I mean they act so clever to get into the position they get then become stupid the minute a problem occurs.

Based on real life events.

Thousands of  children being trafficked around the world , where are they going and for what?

So many being abused in Ukraine, not just since  the war but before also. Money shouldn’t buy a child even if your so called ‘ rich’.

l

I noticed "Sunset Boulevard" was on Sky movies last night and watched it again for what must be the umpteenth time. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

51 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I noticed "Sunset Boulevard" was on Sky movies last night and watched it again for what must be the umpteenth time. Absolutely wonderful stuff.

The original Jazz Singer is your favourite though mate? You saw its premiere didn't you.

• Haha 1

On 07/07/2023 at 09:08, Sheva said:

Based on real life events.

Thousands of  children being trafficked around the world , where are they going and for what?

So many being abused in Ukraine, not just since  the war but before also. Money shouldn’t buy a child even if your so called ‘ rich’.

l

Jim Caviezel is a complete looney in reality. He has made some good films but his Qanon beliefs put him in the shouldn't be let out category.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The ageing footballer's retort: "I am big. It's the pitches that got small."🤩

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The ageing footballer's retort: "I am big. It's the pitches that got small."🤩

One of the best lines ever written.

• Like 1

If anyone hasn't seen Rocketman it's on C4 tonight. Well worth a watch and, in my opinion, much better than the Freddie Mercury film

• Like 1

Just watched Oppenheimer. First of all, it's not really one of those films you have to see at the cinema. No big special effects at all. 

It wasn't at all what I expected but it's very powerful. I expected to be baffled by the science but the film is more about the politics behind the bomb and the treatment of Oppenheimer afterwards. 

Definitely worth a watch. Don't be put off by the length, it flew by. Don't go to Cinema City in the afternoon to see it, my parking bill was £9.00.

PS there was a showing of Barbie on one of the other screens. There were a lot of women who dressed for the occasion which has left me with some disturbing images I'll probably never be able to erase! 

• Like 1