Chichcan

May 19th Webber interview

Just now, Mello Yello said:

Are you his missing 10%...?...

I make a point about him being honest and you completely support that with the 90% remark. 

that geezer is too honest for his own good 

Just now, Yobocop said:

I make a point about him being honest and you completely support that with the 90% remark. 

that geezer is too honest for his own good 

Yeah but I'm a compulsive liar.....

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i do not know about Now as Recruitment team has changed and Webber seems to have falling apart recruitment wise 

But 100 % before the targets and agents spoken to and players are scouted and lists drawn up 6 months to a year 

scouting is a funny game our top target say at CDM might change his mind sign a new contract and stay 

target CDM No2 may want to decide to take another offer and stay local to where he lives ,

Target No3 might want to come here but his club is not willing to sell at the eleventh hour as they can not get a replacement 

So many problems signing a player work is done well ahead 

of course a PL team might buy someone and XYZ becomes available where he was not before sure you get things like that happen 

but main targets are 6 months at least before 

But like When Alex Neil was here i know scouts used to say here is a list of 10 CDM's ( example ) he often would not fancy anyone on the list and pick someone himself maybe his lack of being at a Bigger club with such a network of scouts ? 

Things haven't been the same since Fat Frankie left. 😁

Apples

• Haha 1

On 08/05/2023 at 18:05, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I wonder why-how the local media got banned then. 

I think some form of telepathic reiki. There you go, that must be it 👍

Parma

'Distance Reiki' really is a thing. Having experienced it, the sheer accuracy of the written report that followed totally blew me away. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

You Are a good Poster Hog i enjoy our Posts !! 

i have got a funny feeling about this nothing i know or heard etc 

i think MA is using Webber to get into the club he has to have Allies in the club to make a takeover quicker and smoother 

MA Successful in Business and in Sport ownership he will be ruthless and if he does not think Webber is doing a good job once he has control i am sure he will will get rid quickly ,

Could Well be!

But when he took over the Brewers I read on the athletic that he kept the existing equivalent to a SD on board for a number of years before he felt comfortable changing. And with Webber apparently being largely involved in the communications it just comes across as he may be wanted by the Americans for at least one more season.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

Could Well be!

But when he took over the Brewers I read on the athletic that he kept the existing equivalent to a SD on board for a number of years before he felt comfortable changing. And with Webber apparently being largely involved with the communications just comes across as he may be wanted by the Americans for at least one more season.

There you have it if hoggy is right where the disconnect has been this last year or so.

1 hour ago, percy varco said:

Which hill is he off to this year? 

Whichever one he frequents in his spare time or is he not allowed a social life? 

Webbo's interview is a week today....isn't it going to be exciting!....A countdown to ecstasy....

I've never felt this exuberant since I boiled an egg....

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Whichever one he frequents in his spare time or is he not allowed a social life? 

Only it wasnt in his spare time. 

55 minutes ago, percy varco said:

Only it wasnt in his spare time. 

That's not something you have any proper knowledge of and posting it makes you look very stupid.

Can’t believe people are still defending the 90% comment. Did they actually read the interview and the context of how he said it?

He wasn’t championing a better work life balance. He was clear he was prepared to walk away and only stayed because he was being allowed to pursue his own personal ambitions at the expense of part of his dedication to the role.

Too honest yes, but incredibly arrogant and unbelievably dumb thing to say on many levels for a person in his position.

9 hours ago, Yobocop said:

His wife is on record as saying that you have to be so devoted to the Club that if you can't make a dinner date so be it. How does that square with the Mountain climbing activity?

5 minutes ago, essex canary said:

His wife is on record as saying that you have to be so devoted to the Club that if you can't make a dinner date so be it. How does that square with the Mountain climbing activity?

The saddest part of this post is that you don't realise how stupid your question is.

14 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We read the interview and understood perfectly that he is allowed to do what he wants in his own time.

I do wonder why some of our fans are so anti basic accountability for Mr Webber.

Yes he can do what he wants in his own time. But, if what you do in your own time starts to have a negative impact on your work then it becomes your works business too.

A couple of real life examples...

I worked with someone who's big passion was travel. She was an Aussie who'd moved to the UK and used to love doing short weekend trips to various European countries- out the office at 5pm on a Friday, straight to the airport, fly back late Sunday. Issue was she kept booking flights so late on a Sunday that she'd either turn up late Monday morning or turn up so tired she was struggling to do her job and her performance suffered. So her personal time started becoming a work issue.

Similarly I worked with a guy who, in his own time, was a professional wrestler. This is a pretty dangerous hobby. We kept having issues with him calling in to say he couldn't come to work on the day after he'd done a show due to various injuries, aches, pains etc. This put a strain on his co-workers and in the end, his personal time became a work issue.

So yeah Stuart can do what he likes in his spare time but if it starts affecting his performance then it isn't as simple as that. We have no idea if his recent run of dog**** recruitment has anything to do with the time and energy spent prepping for his big climbs. What people are concerned about though is that he is married to the person who's job it would be to hold him to account if it turns out it was.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 3

Of course he can do what he likes in his spare time but if for some reason it impacts on his performance at work then it can be called out, and rightly so.

On the back of a dreadful relegation season last and a botched attempt at promotion this, it's fair for supporters to question if only '90%' was or is an acceptable situation.

I admire what he has done but there has to be 100% focus from him now. He cannot demand the same from our Head Coach and players if he cannot do likewise.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

That's not something you have any proper knowledge of and posting it makes you look very stupid.

Sorry Zoe

28 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

We read the interview and understood perfectly that he is allowed to do what he wants in his own time.

Or the 10% 

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do wonder why some of our fans are so anti basic accountability for Mr Webber.

Yes he can do what he wants in his own time. But, if what you do in your own time starts to have a negative impact on your work then it becomes your works business too.

A couple of real life examples...

I worked with someone who's big passion was travel. She was an Aussie who'd moved to the UK and used to love doing short weekend trips to various European countries- out the office at 5pm on a Friday, straight to the airport, fly back late Sunday. Issue was she kept booking flights so late on a Sunday that she'd either turn up late Monday morning or turn up so tired she was struggling to do her job and her performance suffered. So her personal time started becoming a work issue.

Similarly I worked with a guy who, in his own time, was a professional wrestler. This is a pretty dangerous hobby. We kept having issues with him calling in to say he couldn't come to work on the day after he'd done a show due to various injuries, aches, pains etc. This put a strain on his co-workers and in the end, his personal time became a work issue.

So yeah Stuart can do what he likes in his spare time but if it starts affecting his performance then it isn't as simple as that. We have no idea if his recent run of dog**** recruitment has anything to do with the time and energy spent prepping for his big climbs. What people are concerned about though is that he is married to the person who's job it would be to hold him to account if it turns out it was.

Your last paragraph is an admission that I'm correct.

Then an admission that you have 'no idea'.

Then an assumption about who he reports to.

24/7 culture isn't good. Then again in some professions (eg. medics on call) it is necessary which is why it is apparent at times in other senior positions.

The hypocrisy is in claiming it is the working culture at one point in time then suddenly it isn't because your spouse has a new hobby.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It's all down to interpretation isn't it.  I hate terms like 100% as they're just so throw away.  i.e. To truly give 100% of yourself you'd be collapsing on the floor each night.  And let's not even get on the "I give 110%" style comments. 

I don't doubt that he's along the spectrum somewhere, as I probably am, so I do find myself aligning well when he's talking in this fashion, in fact I really support that honesty.  If we stick to being real, 90% is a massive amount of "me" to be devoting to the job, it's not a sly in the latest. 

Trouble is when people take the "me" and turn it into "effort" such as the pinkun did, I find that very underhand:

i.e. https://www.pinkun.com/news/22691516.norwich-sporting-director-stuart-webber-confrontation-fans/

"During the interview, Webber appeared to suggest he wanted to leave the club, but had agreed to continue at 90pc effort."

I have questions on his ego and arrogance, I don't doubt the hard work he puts into this club - in fact, I'd go far to say that he's probably spread himself too thin in recent years.

3 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Webbo's interview is a week today....isn't it going to be exciting!....A countdown to ecstasy....

I've never felt this exuberant since I boiled an egg....

He surely wants some news to break before then ? Can only presume we will have a couple of signings before then or the share announcement 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Well clearly you didn’t, or you wouldn’t say that. Everyone is allowed to do what they want in their own time, it’s such a basic concept that it doesn’t need mentioning. The fact that some companies are ****ty and expect people to give up their free time isn’t what he was talking about. 

He literally said "Delia and Michael didn’t want me to leave. So I said, ‘Listen there’s only one thing which matters to me in this negotiation, it’s not about money, titles or kudos. The only thing I want is the chance to go and achieve a dream and my dream is climbing Mount Everest. I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’ But they wanted me to stay and I’m grateful to them for that."

You don’t negotiate with your employer for what you are going to do in your own time. If you go to your employer and say I’m ready to walk but if you give me the time off I want to pursue my own goals and are happy with 90% of what I was giving I’ll stay, unless that’s exactly what you mean.

Webber gets a lot of criticism, plenty fair in my opinion, a lot OTT. But the fact some people choose to ignore what’s he actually said in a crusade to defend him blows my mind. He was clear, stupidly, arrogantly honest.

If he’d had this exact negotiation, and never said anything publicly. If the club framed his goal positively, showing him training before work etc. without this baggage, there would have been some noise no doubt when results were what they were, but when he left nothing to the imagination he got the exact response he was going to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

He surely wants some news to break before then ? Can only presume we will have a couple of signings before then or the share announcement 

News is all I want from him.

I am not interested in him, his excuses, his complaints, his waffle or even his fanciful promises.

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Well clearly you didn’t, or you wouldn’t say that. Everyone is allowed to do what they want in their own time, it’s such a basic concept that it doesn’t need mentioning. The fact that some companies are ****ty and expect people to give up their free time isn’t what he was talking about. 

He literally said "Delia and Michael didn’t want me to leave. So I said, ‘Listen there’s only one thing which matters to me in this negotiation, it’s not about money, titles or kudos. The only thing I want is the chance to go and achieve a dream and my dream is climbing Mount Everest. I sleep easy at night because ultimately as I said to Delia and Michael, ‘If 90 per cent of me isn’t enough, it’s fine because I’m already ready to walk out the door. I’m ready for the next stage of my life.’ But they wanted me to stay and I’m grateful to them for that."

You don’t negotiate with your employer for what you are going to do in your own time. If you go to your employer and say I’m ready to walk but if you give me the time off I want to pursue my own goals and are happy with 90% of what I was giving I’ll stay, unless that’s exactly what you mean.

Webber gets a lot of criticism, plenty fair in my opinion, a lot OTT. But the fact some people choose to ignore what’s he actually said in a crusade to defend him blows my mind. He was clear, stupidly, arrogantly honest.

If he’d had this exact negotiation, and never said anything publicly. If the club framed his goal positively, showing him training before work etc. without this baggage, there would have been some noise no doubt when results were what they were, but when he left nothing to the imagination he got the exact response he was going to.

Webber was stupid for saying it. Whenever things go bad it's something for fans to latch onto and we have seen that repeatedly since. 

I don't think it's the big deal people have made it out to be but equally it depends what we're blaming. Are we annoyed about the fact he said it or the fact it's what he's doing? IF it's the latter then surely the board are to blame for accepting such a proposal.

For all the criticisms in the world, I'm yet to come across anyone within the club in any capacity who doesn't think Zoe and Stuart are two of the hardest working people around the club.

Couldn't the solution here be asking her to work a shortened week of 4 days, but the same hours? Just interested if that could have worked, it would have been something I would have suggested at her development review. Or work from home?

Similar response to the above? 

Your view seems to suggest that they were doing a role that could only be 9-5, 5 days a week, that had to be done in the office. There of course more than one solution to any HR problem, if the talent is there and needs to be retained.

Anyway the above prompted me to face the main criticism I have with young Stu. The issue stems from when he made that 90% comment. Presumably following his review with the Board, according to him they decided they could not afford to lose his talent so allowed a workaround, although who he reports and who has direct responsibility for him is somewhat unclear. I believe at the time of this interview his full team was not in place to allow him to give less than 100% of his vocational and non-vocational time to the role (I may have that wrong, forgive me if so).

What also grated was spending one of the transfer windows up a mountain in Chile. Now I know modern technology is such that communication should not have been an issue, but the guy was testing himself physically to climb Everest, so he was not going to be 100% at giving his work due care and attention. And although the excuse was made that everything was set up and ready to go for that window before his departure, didn't the previous summers window go completely pear shaped because the best laid plans were scuppered by additional demands from players that needed a snap but well thought through and challenged response? Given the Board's lack of true governance, that could only really come from Stu, but could he truly get his head around things half way up a mountain? Albeit such an issue didn't occur, but in a poorly managed organisation without appropriate governance (IMO) that should not have been an allowable position. 

I may have this all wrong, but it is this level of detail that I would like to see discussed with young Stu on the 19th, I just don't think we will get anything like that.

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Couldn't the solution here be asking her to work a shortened week of 4 days, but the same hours? Just interested if that could have worked, it would have been something I would have suggested at her development review. Or work from home?

19 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Similar response to the above? 

Your view seems to suggest that they were doing a role that could only be 9-5, 5 days a week, that had to be done in the office. There of course more than one solution to any HR problem, if the talent is there and needs to be retained.

You assume I was in charge of these people, I wasn't, they were just examples of people I'd worked with. They were also both pre covid where WFH was much less accepted.

FYI I work from home 3 days a week and am very happy with the set up. 

Edit- re reading I can see easily how the second anecdote could sound like I was saying I was in charge of the solution!

Edited by king canary
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

FYI I work from home 3 days a week and am very happy with the set up. 

Bet you are, posting on here during the day and getting paid, sounds great!  :classic_biggrin:

Imagine the fallout if we found out that Webber had 20,000 posts on a mountaineering forum and his latest activity all showed them during working hours. 

• Haha 1