Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

Re: Duffy, it’s definitely a bit of an issue when players reach the wrong side of 30 in terms of how much you should risk on them.  It’s not surprising if a bit of compromise has to go on, the player can’t really expect to still be on what he once was.

On 06/05/2023 at 03:03, 7HAR1980 said:

Signing a 33 turning 34 year old is going backwards. It's disappointing that supporters believe signing Barnes is a good idea.

We'll see. It is a signing that would have been difficult to accept over the past four years and more for sure, but it is considered to be a good idea by many of us as the player seems just right for our needs at this moment in time.

Nobody expects a bag full of goals from Barnes. He is not a Pukki replacement by any means but overall his strengths (of character and on the pitch) would seem to fit the bill when considering the obvious frailties within the squad last season. His presence alongside our two young strikers might prove to be important and perhaps even Idah might finally blossom under his influence.

Experience, influence seem to be the main order of the day as far as Ashley Barnes is concerned, although he remains no mean player both canny and skilful, who could well be a game changer next season.

I'm in favour, but nevertheless see it as amounting to just sticking plaster needed to address the existing shortcomings that we are all well aware of.

We still need that extra goalscorer on board, imo, and he shouldn't be far down the list of the Summer's priorities.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Re: Duffy, it’s definitely a bit of an issue when players reach the wrong side of 30 in terms of how much you should risk on them.  It’s not surprising if a bit of compromise has to go on, the player can’t really expect to still be on what he once was.

It's an even bigger risk when you already have 2 players 30+ in his position as well. Obviously Gibson only has a year left and there are question marks over Hanley post-injury but with Omo more than likely off there's no clear succession plan for the position and adding Duffy to that would make it even harder. Ideally I'd like us to go for someone around 25/26 and then a younger option as the 4th choice. That provides a healthier balance in my view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, repman said:

It's an even bigger risk when you already have 2 players 30+ in his position as well. Obviously Gibson only has a year left and there are question marks over Hanley post-injury but with Omo more than likely off there's no clear succession plan for the position and adding Duffy to that would make it even harder. Ideally I'd like us to go for someone around 25/26 and then a younger option as the 4th choice. That provides a healthier balance in my view.

Fine, but I think you’re forgetting Hanley is probably out until Fall at least. We need experience, and Duffy fits that bill. Right now we have Gibson (lost his way since his 20/21 season) injured Hanley, Omobamidele (who could be off) and Sorenson (as cover). Should Omo leave we’re short and I don’t include Sorenson as a CB because we can’t keep doing that classic of having a fill in. We need 4 fit out and out centre backs. 

10 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Fine, but I think you’re forgetting Hanley is probably out until Fall at least. We need experience, and Duffy fits that bill. Right now we have Gibson (lost his way since his 20/21 season) injured Hanley, Omobamidele (who could be off) and Sorenson (as cover). Should Omo leave we’re short and I don’t include Sorenson as a CB because we can’t keep doing that classic of having a fill in. We need 4 fit out and out centre backs. 

I definitely agree that we need 4 centre backs, as opposed to what we did in the 2nd half of the season with 3 + a converted midfielder. I don't think that Hanley's injury will preclude him being part of the 4 needed. If we went into the season with 4 + Hanley then we'd have 5 once he returned and unless we play a back 3 that's too many. Even if we do need experience that doesn't mean we have to sign someone who's Duffy's age. When Hanley joined the club he was only 25 but was also labelled as much needed experience. I also think both Hanley and Gibson are already pretty unsuited to playing in Wagner's system and I don't see Duffy being much different in that regard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Please just pay up Webber. We had this kind of farce with Ajer..

If a Sporting Directors job was to always "just pay up" then it wouldn't really be a profession. Even you could do it, crying out loud. But it's not how things actually work. Nor should it.

Nothing is going to happen at Leeds until the takeover issue is dealt with although that could be done this week if the current owner accepts a much lower value for the club.

26 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Nothing is going to happen at Leeds until the takeover issue is dealt with although that could be done this week if the current owner accepts a much lower value for the club.

Mention the word Leeds and they come crawling out the wood work. Quite incredible. 

• Haha 1

Sport Witness relaying a Brazilian article on Gabby Sara.  Seems we owe 10% of any future move to Sao Paulo. Athletico Madrid remain interested, as do some Premier League clubs. Claims that Sara and his staff keep an eye on opportunities, but his "adaption" to the city and club have "put the brakes" on any chance for a move this summer.

Sounds positive. 

12 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sport Witness relaying a Brazilian article on Gabby Sara.  Seems we owe 10% of any future move to Sao Paulo. Athletico Madrid remain interested, as do some Premier League clubs. Claims that Sara and his staff keep an eye on opportunities, but his "adaption" to the city and club have "put the brakes" on any chance for a move this summer.

Sounds positive. 

Sounds like he's up for a fight for promotion. Do fear that if we don't go up this upcoming season then he will be off mind

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Mention the word Leeds and they come crawling out the wood work. Quite incredible. 

Meaning what exactly?

14 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Sounds positive. 

Interesting because early on Webber was quoting him as an example of a foreign player who might find it hard to adapt. I think he said something along the lines of going from a 24 hour city in Brazil to Norfolk where the pace of life is very slow and a whole different style of football but it only took him half a season really if that to adapt. Just goes to show it's a complete lottery and you never really know how a player is going to fit in even if you can make fair assumptions about them. 

Farke is totally wrong for Leeds right now and culturally. He needs time to implement his ideas and even at it's best it lacks the intensity and aggression than an Elland Road crowd would demand. Even at our best we still didn't really tackle or track back well, the whole off the ball aspect of our gameplan was pretty weak when it was exposed and we didn't like it when we faced really fast or really physical teams and I don't think a Leeds crowd would appreciate that. Bielsa's football was quite different, they moved the ball well but it was also 100mph and players ran and got stuck in. I also don't think they'd be as tolerant of Farke's quirky personality either, if results didn't go their way fast he'd get a tonne of abuse over it. 

As others have said Farke was a perfect fit here, he's just all wrong for Leeds and I can't see it. He'd have been a much better fit for Southampton or even Leicester to be honest. Leeds would be better going for Corberan who's football is much more Bielsa-like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sounds like he's up for a fight for promotion. Do fear that if we don't go up this upcoming season then he will be off mind

I don’t think you need to fear that, it’s 100% what will happen if he does well and we fail. That’s the nature of things, we’ll get good money for him and go again.

Looking at the players we’ve signed and been linked with gives me the impression that the club aren’t looking at just next season, but the next two seasons, targeting promotion next season then PL survival following season as a lot of the players we’ve been linked with have PL experience (Steer, Begovic, Stacey, Duffy, Davies, Barnes). In actual fact I’m also getting a horrible feeling that with Delia still in charge of the club if we did achieve promotion next season that next summer we may see the same thing happen that happened in 2019, although Attanasio might make a difference

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t think you need to fear that, it’s 100% what will happen if he does well and we fail. That’s the nature of things, we’ll get good money for him and go again.

If we get an offer north of £20m plus and that club wafts £60-£70k a week he'll be gone. 'Sara and his staff' will see to that.

We can't be sure until the transfer window slams shut.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

If there is any truth in the Duffy rumour and Dean is being given the once over it does suggest Omo may be off. Though whther four central defenders of that.standing would all fit in is another matter, but, again, if true we are certainly looking at experience over using the season to develop youngsters.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He'd likely be training on his own then...

Not necessarily. Some players do hang around. Particularly those recovering from injury. It's not beyond the realm of possibility he's in for a trial. I agree though, it's unlikely. 

7 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Not necessarily. Some players do hang around. Particularly those recovering from injury. It's not beyond the realm of possibility he's in for a trial. I agree though, it's unlikely. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I was posting. There may be one or two players in, but hardly any, and I'd say they'd be more likely to be doing work in the gym rather than on the pitch. The chances of a prospective signing being there is very slim, I'd say.

25 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

0 followers and 1 tweet, I wonder if this is another Ipswich fan!

Judging by the Leicester City badge and lcfc in his title I reckon you're spot on 

🤦‍♂️

Just make sure you spell it as 'Harlee Dean' and not 'Harley'. Just typed that in Google and glad my wife wasn't sat beside me lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3