Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

43 minutes ago, chicken said:

One thing I note with Sargent is people saying "he needs more chances to score". I can recall exactly the same thing being said about Pukki, in the premier league especially.

Reality is, if Sargent was scoring more goals he'd unlikely still be here. When you start putting 15-20+ goals a season away on the regular, you get looked at by top tier sides. Unless you are top tier of the top tier...

It's true though. Strikers are pretty much only as good as the team behind them, maybe they can create some chances on their own but that would only make up a small percentage.

Over his 5 years at the club Pukki has scored 87 league goals from 85.6 xG, he over-performed by nearly 5 xG in his first year and this season was the only year his goals and xG number's weren't within 1 of the other. There may be some decline in Pukki but the fact is he only had an xG of 12.4 this year.

If Sargent does start banging goals in next season then obviously teams will be looking at him, this season he's performed above his xG but that probably won't hold over the long term. There are clear skills for strikers that will lead to them being able to score goals; good movement, shooting well with both feet, shot selection just to name a few. 

Good players will always look worse playing in bad teams, and bad players can be made to look better in good teams.

2 hours ago, repman said:

Over his 5 years at the club Pukki has scored 87 league goals from 85.6 xG, he over-performed by nearly 5 xG in his first year and this season was the only year his goals and xG number's weren't within 1 of the other. There may be some decline in Pukki but the fact is he only had an xG of 12.4 this year.

I'm sure that makes sense somewhere. It reminds me of the bloke down our local bookies who had a great record in predicting winners - if you only counted the races where his predicted horses won..

Wagner says there will not be a fire sale.... That's mainly because no would want alot of our players 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Gianoullis being linked to two Russian clubs

Good, hopefully we get a wedge for him. He never kicked on like I thought he would 

11 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Gianoullis being linked to two Russian clubs

I’d not feel happy receiving Russian money in the current climate 

18 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No clue how we get the money given the Russian sanctions. 

I think the sanctions only apply to Putin & his murderous regime. 

2 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I think the sanctions only apply to Putin & his murderous regime. 

The banking system is too. Makes money transfers a bit tough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Oh I didn't realise, I just thought because the whole of Europe is still buying its energy from Russia, it would still be possible to transfer players.

2 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Oh I didn't realise, I just thought because the whole of Europe is still buying its energy from Russia, it would still be possible to transfer players.

Worth reading into the transfer of Arsen Zakharyan and how that fell through.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 15:32, BroadstairsR said:

So far Barnes is expected to be a goalscorer, a leader of the line, a Grant Holt, an inspiration on the pitch, a force in the dressing room, an example to the youngsters in the club and now a mentor to his fellow strikers.

He must be one helluva guy. 😀😃😀  handsome cartoon superhero wearing a mask was standing with confidence and heroic with a friendly smile - 16974267

Actually, the only people saying all these things are those telling us that he is none of them and using that as a stick to beat the club/other supporters with.  

The rest of us think he could be a decent first signing, off the back of a decent season for Burnley who ran away with the title.  He’d be offering something we don’t currently have, and an upgrade on Hugill who we did have but let go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, don't really fancy McCallum as our first choice left back.. Looked rusty and a little off during pre season and still does not look that great.

Could be mumba 

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Could be mumba 

Does seem that he played both on the right and left for Plymouth this season.  We’ve been linked with a rb from Motherwell so are obviously looking.

29 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

PayPal 👍

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Does seem that he played both on the right and left for Plymouth this season.  We’ve been linked with a rb from Motherwell so are obviously looking.

I’d imagine the Motherwell link is to replace Aaron’s 

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I’d imagine the Motherwell link is to replace Aaron’s 

Well, we have Byram to replace too (not that he played often)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well, don't really fancy McCallum as our first choice left back.. Looked rusty and a little off during pre season and still does not look that great.

Kenny, sorted. Was our best LB this season.

The Sus Twitter Rumour Brigade have spewed out the name Tom Davies just now.

Don't know an awful lot about him but I'd be surprised if there weren't PL offers ahead of us.

6 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Don't know an awful lot about him but I'd be surprised if there weren't PL offers ahead of us.

He's the one on the right 

Screenshot_20230514_175654_Chrome.thumb.jpg.31d9f1f4cd16c1f860054ea7151d1353.jpg

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Do those lovely shoes really go with his slacks? 

I'm afraid I'm unable to help. I'm not really a Primark sort of person 

26 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Not bad for a championship signing 

43 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

"Conley"

And no clue what a "tier 2 source" is. Smells bull****ty.

2 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

"Conley"

And no clue what a "tier 2 source" is. Smells bull****ty.

This would be a great signing. Cantwell and Dowell wrapped up in one. Good player links play and can score goals. If we get him I forcone will be impressed