Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Wagner wants to overhaul the squad in the summer

Wagner talking of next season is possibly the thing winding me up the most about the club right now. He's failed in basically every way since his appointment. Overhauling the squad for a coach who hasn't had any notable success for 5 years would be a disaster. 

I presume that Wagner’s statement means that he believes Idah has the right mindset, hence the 5 year contract. I’m much more worried about whether he and some of the others have the ability!

I'd like to see what he can do with a squad of his own. 

There's an entire spine of the team to replace.

If we don't sign at least decent DM and CB, I'm out. You've heard my warning Stu! 😉

• Like 1

He wants an overhaul and starts by giving the likes of Hernandez a new contract.

Unless he knows something about funding, and I guess he might, then it aint going to happen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He wants an overhaul and starts by giving the likes of Hernandez a new contract.

Unless he knows something about funding, and I guess he might, then it aint going to happen.

He wants an overhaul because he has won 1 in 9 games, no better way to protect yourself than by saying it's not me it's all these players. 

It will certainly be a busy summer transfer wise, I personally think that Wagner will look to add a lot more physicality & height to our squad, one of our failings has been the opposition seemingly being faster/taller/stronger & fitter than us. Presuming we sell Max, I think we’ll sell Sara, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sargent was also sold, add those potential sale’s together, plus whatever money they had earmarked for this summer transfer window & it would give us a decent war chest. 

The first thing we should be doing is putting in a bid to get Skipp from Spurs. They are a shambles at the moment too and he has fallen out of favour with their supporters.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The first thing we should be doing is putting in a bid to get Skipp from Spurs. They are a shambles at the moment too and he has fallen out of favour with their supporters.

He is literally their best player and a fan favourite.

The thing that irks me the most is that we're potentially handing our very limited kitty and gambling our future on someone who the fans aren't behind, has a VERY distinctive style that not many coaches coach and someone who plays one midfielder (which will be useless if we get promoted). Will we ever learn?

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Holt said:

He is literally their best player and a fan favourite.

That would be why they scored him at 2.49 (the third lowest) after yesterdays game. He's not a fan favourite of the many Spurs fans I know and anyone who says he's their best player is delusional.

We certainly need an overhaul, but people need to be a bit clued up that we are in the Champs and our parachute payments are coming to an end.  Saying we need an upgrade on Hernandez is all very well, but he's a decent winger at this level and I don't think we have the money to splash out on that area when there are other areas of the squad that are much more in need.

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

That would be why they scored him at 2.49 (the third lowest) after yesterdays game. He's not a fan favourite of the many Spurs fans I know and anyone who says he's their best player is delusional.

Even if he isn't there is no way he's dropped to the Championship.

I've no dobut if Spurs were open to bids 7 or 8 Premier League clubs would be on the phone right away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

And other hillarious jokes you can tell yourself

I've guestimated our potential transfer pot before but will repeat for ease. Taking Richens at his word in his December video, any purchases have to be taken out of trading with the current squad, as we have no parachute monies available. We know Rashica should raise c.£6m if Turkish gossip is to be believed, Maddison being sold by the Foxes should add another similar amount (he's easily worth £60m ain't he?), I think Sara will be sold and £20m seems to be about right, Attanasio's £10m for the C Pref shares is knocking about, the sale of others including Max or Sarge will comfortably take the total pot to £50m. That is some serious budget to underpin a squad refresh.

So WebWag will have to look in bargain basement but if they can't find ten incoming with that pot, to replace Pukki / Sara / Max or Sarge and move 7 others into the good and honest back up roles, then really they aren't up to the job and deserve to get the boot if not challenging for the top 6 after ten games next season.

The overhaul will keep us busy on here over the summer.

7 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I've guestimated our potential transfer pot before but will repeat for ease. Taking Richens at his word in his December video, any purchases have to be taken out of trading with the current squad, as we have no parachute monies available. We know Rashica should raise c.£6m if Turkish gossip is to be believed, Maddison being sold by the Foxes should add another similar amount (he's easily worth £60m ain't he?), I think Sara will be sold and £20m seems to be about right, Attanasio's £10m for the C Pref shares is knocking about, the sale of others including Max or Sarge will comfortably take the total pot to £50m. That is some serious budget to underpin a squad refresh.

So WebWag will have to look in bargain basement but if they can't find ten incoming with that pot, to replace Pukki / Sara / Max or Sarge and move 7 others into the good and honest back up roles, then really they aren't up to the job and deserve to get the boot if not challenging for the top 6 after ten games next season.

Not entirely convinced at £20 mill for Sara. Or that we’ll sell Sargent. One piece of excellent news is we’ll get Mumba back. Im keen to see what Wagner can do with him. Im being positive 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I think Maddison will very much depend on which division Leicester are in. If they go down I doubt anyone gives them £60m. Also I think our sell on fee would likely be on the profit, so even then would be more like £4m. Not nothing though. 

This is bothering me a bit. I haven't seen anything that suggests Wagner has the answers. A whole new squad might do it, but with a manager with a more footballing approach, rather than attack, attack and run faster and harder than the opposition, which is what I see is the Wagner way. If it is more than that, i hope someone will say why, but I'd rather have someone who is pursuing football along the lines of Russell Martin (but not him, I think there is too much baggage there), Knutsen or even Farke himself, who remains a head coach who has proved himself at the level we often find ourselves.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Not entirely convinced at £20 mill for Sara. Or that we’ll sell Sargent. One piece of excellent news is we’ll get Mumba back. Im keen to see what Wagner can do with him. Im being positive 

I was wavering over including that, but then read Paddy's Q&A and he seems convinced that is the figure we will achieve.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Maddison will very much depend on which division Leicester are in. If they go down I doubt anyone gives them £60m. Also I think our sell on fee would likely be on the profit, so even then would be more like £4m. Not nothing though. 

I was basing my calculation on 15% of the profit (which is much quoted by journalists), so rounding up 15% of £38m ( 60 - 22).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is bothering me a bit. I haven't seen anything that suggests Wagner has the answers. A whole new squad might do it, but with a manager with a more footballing approach, rather than attack, attack and run faster and harder than the opposition, which is what I see is the Wagner way. If it is more than that, i hope someone will say why, but I'd rather have someone who is pursuing football along the lines of Russell Martin (but not him, I think there is too much baggage there), Knutsen or even Farke himself, who remains a head coach who has proved himself at the level we often find ourselves.

Agreed, backing a manager who has failed in his 2 previous jobs and has shown no signs of succeeding here would probably be the final nail in the coffin. Many here have said we're back to square one ie at the point where Webber first took over. While I don't think it's a perfect comparison, it's clear that we do need a rebuild of sorts and the biggest part of that in my view is appointing a young manager (a la Farke of 2017) who has room to grow themselves. Martin feels an obvious fit for a number of reasons but I also don't doubt that there's plenty of other coaches who would fit the bill as well.

1 hour ago, repman said:

He wants an overhaul because he has won 1 in 9 games, no better way to protect yourself than by saying it's not me it's all these players. 

It is the players though.

6 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

Anyone else notice he says "the owner" as opposed to "the owners"? Probably reading too much into it but...

Come on Nutty, even Wagner forgets about Wynnie, you need to have a word!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It is the players though.

I disagree, not saying that everything is perfect with the squad but the gulf between us and Swansea in possession on Saturday was telling. They just looked a far better coached side than us.

1 minute ago, repman said:

I disagree, not saying that everything is perfect with the squad but the gulf between us and Swansea in possession on Saturday was telling. They just looked a far better coached side than us.

Tbh that had as much to do with being on form, it was 5 wins in 6 vs 1 win in 8 so they were always going to look very confident once they got ahead; when it was 10 v 11 it was game over.   But it did also show Russ in a good light, who many on here didn’t want to give a second thought as our manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, repman said:

Agreed, backing a manager who has failed in his 2 previous jobs and has shown no signs of succeeding here would probably be the final nail in the coffin. Many here have said we're back to square one ie at the point where Webber first took over. While I don't think it's a perfect comparison, it's clear that we do need a rebuild of sorts and the biggest part of that in my view is appointing a young manager (a la Farke of 2017) who has room to grow themselves. Martin feels an obvious fit for a number of reasons but I also don't doubt that there's plenty of other coaches who would fit the bill as well.

He hasnt failed in his previous 2 jobs. His Young Boys were in 2nd, had qualified for Champions League, and beat Man U.

Everyone expected them ti win but 2nd in league is hardly failure. Everyone expected Man C or Liverpool to have run away with Premiership this season. It hasnt happened so is Guardiola a failure for being 2nd

Wagner hasnt set us alight by a long way but deserves the chance to build his squad with his players

Edited by Samwam27
Error
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

He hasnt failed in his previous 2 jobs. His Young Boys were in 2nd, had qualified for Champions League, and beat Man U.

Everyone expected them ti win but 2nd in league is hardly failure. Everyone expected Man C or Liverpool to have run away with Premiership this season. It hasnt happened so is Guardiola a failure for being 2nd

Wagner hasnt set us alight by a long way but deserves the chance to build his squad with his players

I mean they won the league the previous year by 31 points, he was sacked with them 15 points off top. From that perspective 2nd feels like a failure to me.

The big concern with Wagner from his 2 previous clubs coming into the post here was that he struggled to coach the side on the ball. That the underdog status he had with Huddersfield meant that teams would attack them more, thus playing into his strengths. I think the concerns re possession have turned out to be true.