Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Gunn's interview

Just now, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Doesn't think we were far off boro. 😳😳😳 

Wow... 

Almost as bad as Wagner being pleased with a performance that gets us a 0-0. At home. To Rotherham. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wow... 

Wouldn’t look too much into it, the lad took 25 years to make up his mind if he’s Scottish or not.

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wow... 

Two inches and a penalty away from 5-3?

C3C4D0FB-5F1D-4651-A901-C7F4434E3431.jpeg

Well to be fair those are not normally the stats for a 5-1 defeat (or ‘thrashing’ as the bbc put it). Strange old game, it was hard to believe it was 4-1 at the break based on play/chances. But it is what it is - a lesson in finishing and defending.

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Wow... 

We were right in it….for 6 minutes.  

• Like 1

To be honest, we weren't. Teams in the Championship (maybe football in general) are very rarely as fiercely clinical as Boro were tonight. It's not often you flip a coin 5 times and get heads on every one. Aside from our goal, we had two golden opportunities, a stonewall pen and hit the post; it could/ should have been a lot closer.

That isn't to excuse our performance, however. We've heard plenty of battlecry from our camp this week so to capitulate in such a disappointing way stings a bit extra. 

Most disappointing is apparent selection issues that repeat game on game. Sargent + Pukki starting makes us patently worse; Marquinhos is no more outstanding on the wing than Byram would be; lack of bodies in the middle leads to overrun. These things I said on Monday, same is true tonight. If we can see it, why does it persist?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I don't think he's wrong in in terms of talent levels. 

Attitude is a whole other story though.

It's very clear that there was a crazy spell right at the end of the first half where we conceded 3 goals and scored one. At other times in that first half we were very much in it.

When you go in 4-1 down at half time... well, not many teams have ever come back from that.

I said it on another thread, but 7 of the starting side were 23 or under. 3 were 20. Pukki and Onel were the two 30's and over and in between we had Gunn at 27 and Sorensen at 25.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. People heavily, heavily, slate the likes of McLean and Hanley, but it's only when we can't call upon them that we see what they do for our teams. I have also said before that we have a lot of young promising players but not enough players in that peak period of 26-31 who can be the role models and leaders on the pitch for them. That is never more true than tonight for me - we lost our heads and conceded 3 goals and scored one in the space of something silly like 7 mins at the end of the first half, total lack of composure, tactical awareness, focus and experience. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I bet xg will show a different story to the actual result.

Hardly, most of their goals were inside the 6 yard box. Their xG will be almost as big as their actual goal tally

I also imagine our xG would be less than 1.

Edited by TESCO

The XG suggests, if I understand it correctly, the chances missed weren't that great. But I probably misunderstand it...

IMG_20230415_005623.thumb.jpg.4123dcf0c2bcba2c779f658610eba4d7.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The XG suggests, if I understand it correctly, the chances missed weren't that great. But I probably misunderstand it...

So basically we should have lost 3-1 instead of 5-1 which suggests we shipped 2 goals which should have been defended. This, of course, doesn't account for the penalty that should have been so call it 3-2. Either way, we should have lost. 

2 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Wouldn’t look too much into it, the lad took 25 years to make up his mind if he’s Scottish or not.

Post of the season that!!!

People on here love to slate xG, but this game is a great example of why it's a better metric than shots/shots on target. All shots are not created equal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

To be honest, we weren't. Teams in the Championship (maybe football in general) are very rarely as fiercely clinical as Boro were tonight. It's not often you flip a coin 5 times and get heads on every one. Aside from our goal, we had two golden opportunities, a stonewall pen and hit the post; it could/ should have been a lot closer.

That isn't to excuse our performance, however. We've heard plenty of battlecry from our camp this week so to capitulate in such a disappointing way stings a bit extra. 

Most disappointing is apparent selection issues that repeat game on game. Sargent + Pukki starting makes us patently worse; Marquinhos is no more outstanding on the wing than Byram would be; lack of bodies in the middle leads to overrun. These things I said on Monday, same is true tonight. If we can see it, why does it persist?

I was there and this was very much my impression of the game, there honestly wasn't much between the two sides in the first half, we just had a defence that looked lost and they had all the confidence to turn half chances into goals but. I was surprised when marquinhos was subbed because I don't remember him even touching the ball, get rid.

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

That suggests to me that, had we got the penalty that wasn't given for the challenge on Max (pens have an xG of about 0.7), the balance of play suggests that we 'should' have lost 3-1. Which would not have been a great result, but also not massively surprising given we are missing three players who would have probably given us a lot more solidity last night. Note: I'm not saying we were remotely unlucky (other than perhaps with the pen). Quality of finishing is a crucial part of the game, and Boro clearly wiped the floor with us in that regard last night. And, as others have said, when you're 5-1 up you can take the foot off the pedal, so both their xG and actual goals last night could presumably have been even higher.

(Am saying all of this having not watched the game!)