Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Wagner appeals again!

Hail, Rain or Shine, after the game it's into the pub an' havin' a good old time!....

Could we survive on beer alone? | BBC Science Focus Magazine    "CHEERS!"....Lakey....

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Hail, Rain or Shine, after the game it's into the pub an' havin' a good old time!....

Could we survive on beer alone? | BBC Science Focus Magazine    "CHEERS!"....Lakey....

Right I'm off to the pub now and will be in the ground at 14:55.

It's wet and windy in Norwich so might make that 14:57.

Laters 

OTBC

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Be grateful you can go to matches, there are so many people that can't, for whatever reason. You are representing more than just yourself - you are representing the thousands of people around the world too far away to get to games, you are representing the thousands of folk in Norfolk who can't get to matches through age or infirmity.

In short, recognise your responsibility and pull your fingers out. 

Thank you for the lecture.............

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Agree with a lot of what you say there Buh, and a lot of the reasons you put forward.

I would say though, stuff like the alarm and the American announcer are worth a shot, I applaud the club for mixing it up a bit. If everyone says it sucks, they don't do it again, and what have we lost? But it does at least show a willingness to try to engage with different (younger) elements of the fanbase, thus at least trying to address one of the problems we both acknowledge.

It says a lot when the PA system went down and a lot of people loved it. Just because they shut up for 90 minutes 

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Right I'm off to the pub now and will be in the ground at 14:55.

It's wet and windy in Norwich so might make that 14:57.

Laters 

OTBC

HUZZAH an' CHIN CHIN!..I'm on Guinness and then a Ruby Murray (Vindaloo)... So I'll also be wet an' windy tomorrow....'Paaarp!'...'Spladoosh!'....

35 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

There was a lot of resentment of Smith for 'blaming the fans', but Wagner's doing exactly the same.

It's a judgement of the collective effort. Doubtless, some fans are great at supporting the team noisily, but clearly many aren't or Wagner wouldn't need to keep saying it.

Smith blamed the fans. Wagner appeals to the fans asking for help. BIG difference. 

Smith wanted us gone and hoped all his problems would dissolve with his crud football, Wagner wants us on board and acknowledges the team have to give us a display 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think @Mr.Carrow has hit the nail on the head here, actually. Having such a high percentage of season ticket holders is both a blessing and a curse. There are so many factors at play here, including (but not limited to) the impact of the pandemic, the cost-of-living crisis, apathy with the current ownership model/inability to compete at PL level, the ageing fanbase... which inevitably leads to  one or two thousand seats or so being vacant for most games. Stadium expansion, coupled with attractive ticket pricing for under-25s, would lead to a new generation of supporters getting access to the team which they're currently not able to. Whether the Attanasios have the money and the desire to bankroll that remains to be seen, but it is definitely an issue currently.

I remember when I was a teenager 3-4 of us could and would get tickets in the Lower Barclay, it was great fun.

As I got older when I came back to Norfolk I’d meet a mate or two to go to the game and we’d end up in the Jarrold as it was hard to get seats together in the Barclay and to me the atmosphere was always pretty flat there over the years.

I’m not even sure if you can get tickets together in the Barclay nowadays, I haven’t been able to when I’ve looked apart from occasional pretty poor view ones. So tend to go to the South stand and it’s as similarly flat as I’ve always remembered it I think.

If you are a group of younger supporters looking to get together and give some vocal support I’m not sure that’s possible in the usual places anymore? How do we create the next generation of passionate fans? It’s been a problem ongoing for a long while I think, a large % of season tickets is a blessing and a curse IMO.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Agree with a lot of what you say there Buh, and a lot of the reasons you put forward.

I would say though, stuff like the alarm and the American announcer are worth a shot, I applaud the club for mixing it up a bit. If everyone says it sucks, they don't do it again, and what have we lost? But it does at least show a willingness to try to engage with different (younger) elements of the fanbase, thus at least trying to address one of the problems we both acknowledge.

Indeed. Moaning about Americanist stuff now is a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Glory glory Norwich City...

Edited by nutty nigel
🎶💛🇺🇸💚
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It says a lot when the PA system went down and a lot of people loved it. Just because they shut up for 90 minutes 

I was one of the people who loved the game without the PA system. But there's no statistical evidence to support any of this, and even if you did a poll or something, you still wouldn't capture the views of the technophobe generation. You're never going to please everyone, but there is a definite need to try to accommodate the views, desires and habits of the younger generation of fans who will be filling our seats when we're worm food. I think I read somewhere that the average age of a season ticket holder is 49... anyone else recall that, or did I imagine it?

The day they stop the zorbs will signal the onset and dramatic decrease in season ticket sales.....You'll see!....

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

The day they stop the zorbs will signal the onset and dramatic decrease in season ticket sales.....You'll see!....

The zorbs are merely the poorer little brother of the inflatable sumo wrestlers that Sky used to bring in the early 90s... bring those back and we'll fill the ground every match!

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

The zorbs are merely the poorer little brother of the inflatable sumo wrestlers that Sky used to bring in the early 90s... bring those back and we'll fill the ground every match!

I actually enjoyed the big sumo....funny as Huck....and very entertaining to boot....But the stadium concourse food an' drinky sales will ultimately suffer as nobody will want to miss the sumo.....

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Thank you for the lecture.............

He has others....if you're interested?....

• Like 1

I agree with Mr Carrow, the old barclay (terrace) allowed for groupings of the more vociferous younger crowd to congregate, now there are are only small clusters who fail to get the momentum going. Maybe reconversion of the entire lower tier of the barclay to safe standing and reducing ticket prices in that section to help affordability - this conversion could also include the snakepit corner. Until something more radical like this happens we will be stuck with the same disjointed atmosphere. Ground expansion alone will not help, we need safe standing and removal of seats. 

Right time to get ready for the game....and endure the walk in horrendous rain....but the hardy soul I am I will make it to the ground on this Dank Bank Holiday.....I'm doing my bit Mr Wagner and I hope many follow suit!....

Hope the drummer's on form, otherwise we're buggared....

43 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Smith blamed the fans. Wagner appeals to the fans asking for help. BIG difference. 

Smith wanted us gone and hoped all his problems would dissolve with his crud football, Wagner wants us on board and acknowledges the team have to give us a display 

Only at the end, when the atmosphere of sulky despondency when we were top of the table turned to outright vitriol as we started to slip.

Anyway, off to Carrow Road with you. Put in a good showing and all will be forgiven. 😉

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

58 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Which Smith D would that be?

On a more potentially serious note, Wagner is clearly bitterly disappointed at the lack of atmosphere at FCR and his frustration is increasing in each media appeal he makes. If we fail to get promoted I due wonder whether he might just pack it in and go back to Germany. The other 'W' (his old mate) clearly 'sold him a pup' about the 'fantastic home support' and such support has been woefully weak. Away from home it's a different matter entirely of course.   

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

There is so much to unpack from the “what’s wrong with the support?” Question. It’s not a single thing.

Everything from:

>pandemic, ripped up the fanbase, ruined our experience. Literally won the league with no fans, hard to celebrate that.
>Webber, just…Webber 
>these mysterious middle management people making the matchday a cringey nightmare

>football generally becoming more and more politicised and divisive rather than just a good time

>uncertainty of our future as a club financially or ownership

>uncertain identity, literally told we don’t deserve to be in the premier league even if we earn it

>exhaustion from promotion/relegation 

>unique perspective of how wrong the premier league is. Nobody excited about getting smashed every week.

>hoping for a more regular season fixture wise but fixtures being totally fragmented by Sky 

>lack of connection with players, lack of personalities to get behind compared to seasons past

>refereeing, it’s worth bringing up. It’s a national problem across the leagues all teams they are just getting worse and worse for everyone.

>really bad communication from the club on practically everything. They’ve thrown a fence around everything that’s done and just want us to turn up and clap. Really bizzare.

just a few out loud thoughts. There’s a lot more, but it’s complex

time will help, but so will some proactive stuff from the club. I honestly think sacking 70/80% of middle management would go a long way

The last home game featured an alarm going off to tell everyone that the teams were in the tunnels, who signed off on this cringey s41t?

How else would you know they were in the tunnel though......

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

There was a lot of resentment of Smith for 'blaming the fans', but Wagner's doing exactly the same.

It's a judgement of the collective effort. Doubtless, some fans are great at supporting the team noisily, but clearly many aren't or Wagner wouldn't need to keep saying it.

Let it go Birdyo , let it go.  You were wrong, its different now , but youre still wrong. 

Well that half pretty much reaffirmed what we knew about the home crowd under Smith.

Played well first 15 mins - crowd was pretty rocking and well behind the team.

Lost our good momentum and struggled for much of the rest of the half - crowd also quietened.

The exact same sort of flow in terms of atmosphere we saw in countless games under Smith, you can’t expect the crowd to be buzzing for 90 mins when the players aren’t keeping them going.

I think we can see that the real issue is our tendency to go from 100mph to a standstill in such a short space of time - I thought it was a Smith issue but several of our performances under Wagner have had these same hallmarks.

If we could just start a home game quite well and continue with a good level of momentum throughout there’d be no problems getting and keeping the crowd on side.

(Not saying the performance has been that bad by the way - it’s probably been the equivalent of some of our earlier season games under Smith at home)

5 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was one of the people who loved the game without the PA system. But there's no statistical evidence to support any of this, and even if you did a poll or something, you still wouldn't capture the views of the technophobe generation. You're never going to please everyone, but there is a definite need to try to accommodate the views, desires and habits of the younger generation of fans who will be filling our seats when we're worm food. I think I read somewhere that the average age of a season ticket holder is 49... anyone else recall that, or did I imagine it?

If we just rely on this statistical evidence though we’ll just end up with a club being driven by cringey Twitter people

…oh

Was the home Support loud enough for the cringey international Canaries or whatever that want us to get promoted so they can hide they are a Norwich fan on the other side of the planet when we get pumped 6-0 for the third time in a fortnight?

Edited by The Real Buh

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

But you don't see it as collective effort and responsibility on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But you don't see it as collective effort and responsibility on the pitch.

Well yes I do, but I felt the collective effort was there today and we were unlucky not to get the win. I wouldn't be surprised if the xG stats confirm that feeling.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Good support today. Waivered towards the end of the game as it became clear we had lost our way in a game we could have won comfortably.

Wagner can only blame himself and the players.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good support today. Waivered towards the end of the game as it became clear we had lost our way in a game we could have won comfortably.

Wagner can only blame himself and the players.

You say that but there was a very loud chant of "Come on you Yellows" for our last corner of the game, as you say today the blame lays firmly at the door of the players and Wagner.........

5 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You say that but there was a very loud chant of "Come on you Yellows" for our last corner of the game, as you say today the blame lays firmly at the door of the players and Wagner.........

True, although I noticed a growing frustration of how slow we were at getting the ball foward.

Had Tzolis not missed rhat gilt edge chance at the end we would have gone home relieved and happy. Except we are behind Preston North's fcuking End.

• Like 1