AJ

Onel could be out for rest of the season

Didn't realise his knock seemed that bad. A big blow as he seemed to be coming into some decent form. At least we'll get to see what Tzolis can offer I guess

Onel maybe lacks quality but he has pace so that causes and scares defenders 

Something we need and can not replace 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think we already know what Tzolis offers.

Not a lot.

Well, he may well get a run of games to show us.  I hope he finds his legs but I’m not certain yet that he’s up to it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

On the plus side this means nobody will want to buy him and he'll remain with us, huzzah

No, it means his contract runs out in June.

You may never see him again in a Norwich shirt.

55 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I think we already know what Tzolis offers.

Not a lot.

Does anyone think Tzolis is going to come good? 

The commentators yesterday mentioned how softly he gives the ball away, doesn't track back and seems to have his head down in a sulk when he losses it.

He seems to be a tad precious. If he was more hardy and got stuck in then he might be a player. I just don't see that happening. So disappointing. 

From Paddy's article today:

“The same with Onel. It looks that Onel’s injury maybe even a little bit more serious than Adam’s. (Could he miss the rest of the season?) No, we hope he is back before the end of the season. We decided without a surgery."

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

The commentators yesterday mentioned how softly he gives the ball away, doesn't track back and seems to have his head down in a sulk when he losses it.

He seems to be a tad precious. If he was more hardy and got stuck in then he might be a player. I just don't see that happening. So disappointing. 

I think what really showed him up is yesterday, there was a ball played through for him - he had a run on goal (albeit from far out) yet he elected to fall over like a tonne bag of shîte as soon as he felt the defenders breath on his neck! 

So many times he was just wandering around, head down - looking so lost. 

A shame and I really did hope the lad would come good and show something (and maybe he still will and make me eat my words) but I just don't think he'll ever have what it takes to play in England, I'm sure he'll have a fine career back in Greece or somewhere similar 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

16 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I think what really showed him up is yesterday, there was a ball played through for him - he had a run on goal (albeit from far out) yet he elected to fall over like a ton bag of shîte as soon as he felt the defenders breath on his neck! 

So many times he was just wandering around, head down - looking so lost. 

A shame and I really did hope the lad would come good and show something (and maybe he still will and make me eat my words) but I just don't think he'll ever have what it takes to play in England, I'm sure he'll have a fine career back in Greece or somewhere similar 

He clearly has some talent but plays football like he's owed something.

A Grant Holt attitude with his ability would work, but he would rather mope about is how it looks.  I can't see it happening here. The English Leagues don't have time for that attitude. I don't think he's learning that. 

5 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

From Paddy's article today:

“The same with Onel. It looks that Onel’s injury maybe even a little bit more serious than Adam’s. (Could he miss the rest of the season?) No, we hope he is back before the end of the season. We decided without a surgery."

Bit vague, doesn't directly say when they are expecting him back and says"hope". He could end up needing surgery for all we know. I hope he's back soon, the squad is definitely worse without him

9 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Onel maybe lacks quality but he has pace so that causes and scares defenders 

Something we need and can not replace 

Indeed.  It is actually quite alarming how few of our players could be described as having even above average pace ...

On 19/03/2023 at 14:16, Chelm Canary said:

If Sarge just side-footed home that beaut of a pass that Tzolis fed him at the start of the game everyone would be exclaiming about what great vision and well played the ball was.

So yes, of course he's going to come good - first start for god knows how long, and every player needs minutes.

It's clear to me he has great footwork, control, weight of pass and an eye for goal.  If others can't see it yet, then hopefully he gets a run of games now to show it. 

Seems to me that his price tag and the praise heaped on from Farke at the beginning are very much against him, along with his body language - he can't help any of those factors, yet it creates additional pressure on his shoulders.

He's still young, still yet to get a run of minutes under his belt.  I just don't get why people can't get behind the lad and show some belief really.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, Google Bot said:

If Sarge just side-footed home that beaut of a pass that Tzolis fed him at the start of the game everyone would be exclaiming about what great vision and well played the ball was.

So yes, of course he's going to come good - first start for god knows how long, and every player needs minutes.

It's clear to me he has great footwork, control, weight of pass and an eye for goal.  If others can't see it yet, then hopefully he gets a run of games now to show it. 

Seems to me that his price tag and the praise heaped on from Farke at the beginning are very much against him, along with his body language - he can't help any of those factors, yet it creates additional pressure on his shoulders.

He's still young, still yet to get a run of minutes under his belt.  I just don't get why people can't get behind the lad and show some belief really.

Good post. It was a rare moment of quality in an otherwise ordinary team performance tbh.

As a fanbase we seem to be looking for negatives in players just to prove Webber was wrong and/or win an argument on a forum. I'm probably guilty of it myself!

It has to change though. We need to get behind our players, especially the younger ones, otherwise NCFC will become the club to avoid.

• Like 3

He's an odd one, Tzolis. Most of the time he looks like a sulky kid totally out of his depth. But there are flashes of a player. That pass on Saturday was probably our best moment of the match. He took his goal against Birmingham with real panache.

I keep going back to the game at Newcastle last year when he was subbed at half time and everyone agreed he'd been rubbish. But in that half he'd had two shots on target and created two chances for others (Stats from memory: they might not be exactly right but something like that).

Blind optimism perhaps, but I think he's got something. Hopefully Wagner can get through to him in a way Farke and Smith failed to.

Can definitely see flashes of the player in Tzolis as others have said, but the intensity of the league is catching him out. If he'd gone to Italy or France - or dare I say it, RB Salzburg, he probably would have blossomed.

That's where you've got to say, Erling Haaland did it absolutely right and was well advised by his dad.

43 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

But there are flashes of a player. That pass on Saturday was probably our best moment of the match. He took his goal against Birmingham with real panache.

21 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can definitely see flashes of the player in Tzolis

Yep, he pretty much has the attributes of a very good technical player. The goal against Birmingham was class. He is only 21 and long term has much more to offer than Hernandez. If he was one of out own there would be a clamor to play him. A poster on here suggested he would be best down the middle and I can see the sense in that.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can definitely see flashes of the player in Tzolis as others have said, but the intensity of the league is catching him out. If he'd gone to Italy or France - or dare I say it, RB Salzburg, he probably would have blossomed.

That's where you've got to say, Erling Haaland did it absolutely right and was well advised by his dad.

Bit of a stretch to put those two in the same post.  Haaland has always looked a beast, Tzolis more of a pet. Tzolis could well turn out to be handy but ill eat my hat if he ever plays for a top 4 premier team , let alone be the most sought after striker in the world.  

I hereby pledge  €50 to Nuttyos funds if Tzolis ever does play for a team in Prem top 6. 

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Bit of a stretch to put those two in the same post.  Haaland has always looked a beast, Tzolis more of a pet. Tzolis could well turn out to be handy but ill eat my hat if he ever plays for a top 4 premier team , let alone be the most sought after striker in the world.  

I hereby pledge  €50 to Nuttyos funds if Tzolis ever does play for a team in Prem top 6. 

Aye, but I wasn't comparing their ability, just the career progression. Haaland's was much more graded - from Norway to the top team in Austria, then on to a top German side, then on to Man City. Tzolis basically jumped from a strong, but not top Greek outfit into a team at the wrong end of the Premier. Basically, I'm saying such big jumps aren't likely to work out well and something more gradual will probably benefit a young player better.

If he'd gone to Salzburg or that sort of team in a progressively stronger league, we might have seen him develop differently without his confidence being fractured.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Aye, but I wasn't comparing their ability, just the career progression. Haaland's was much more graded - from Norway to the top team in Austria, then on to a top German side, then on to Man City. Tzolis basically jumped from a strong, but not top Greek outfit into a team at the wrong end of the Premier. Basically, I'm saying such big jumps aren't likely to work out well and something more gradual will probably benefit a young player better.

If he'd gone to Salzburg or that sort of team in a progressively stronger league, we might have seen him develop differently without his confidence being fractured.

True. Who do we blame for that?  

40 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

True. Who do we blame for that?  

Do a Cantwell and blame the advisers.

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Who do we blame for that? 

In regards to Tzolis, I think the question is 'when', rather than 'who'. 

Until he's had a fair amount of minutes I don't know if you can start to point fingers - he was always signed for the future, we were told that on day one.

Edited by Google Bot

30 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I don't know if you can start to point fingers - he was always signed for the future

This is the Pinkun, its never too early  to blame someone. 

13 hours ago, Google Bot said:

He looks to have some technical ability. Beyond that he shows absolutely zero in-game knowledge (his positioning and awareness is atrocious, even when only having to concentrate for 15 minute sub appearances). His body language is his body language, but his dropping of the shoulders and 'giving up' when he's been easily brushed off the ball for the 5th or 6th time is inexcusable and he doesn't offer enough in the attacking side to get away with it.

Emi would sometimes show the exact same body language but his tenacity coupled with his attacking ability completely made up for it and more. Tzolis isn't even 1/10th of the player Emi is, unfortunately.

With the injuries we have I'm sure he'll get some more minutes. I don't think he's a player who'll get you out of a bad rut, or who will pick the team up. But he might play well if the rest of the team is already playing well. It's a starting point, I guess.

23 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

This is the Pinkun, its never too early  to blame someone. 

MWJ rarely gets the blame, so i'd like to finger him, please.

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Tzolis isn't even 1/10th of the player Emi is, unfortunately.

Emi born in 1996 and played thousands more minutes versus a lad born in 2002 who's played only a handful.

You need to ask yourself if you're a critic of the club and our players, or a supporter.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Emi born in 1996 and played thousands more minutes versus a lad born in 2002 who's played only a handful.

You need to ask yourself if you're a critic of the club and our players, or a supporter.

I get you're point but when you've paid £7m+ (think that was the suggested price) then you're surely entitled to expect more than what we've got from Tzolis so far? I will continue to support the player when he plays but difficult not to levy some criticism at both him (lack of effort and commitment) and the club (spending too much).