Petriix

The worst we've been under Wagner

This is been a very poor three games but the biggest worry is that things are getting worse, not better. I've previously defended the manager but I'm baffled by the tactical choices today. 4-4-2 was highly questionable, putting Aarons in midfield was bonkers; if he was worried about height at right back then Omobamidele should have started, but Aarons is not a midfielder. 

It clearly wasn't working at half time. The obvious change was to take off Sargent who was having an absolute mare and bring on Marquinhos or Nunez to get an extra man in midfield. Sorensen should have been playing at CDM from the start and could easily have moved there at half time.

Our passing is poor and getting worse. There's a real lack of cohesion between movement off the ball, picking the pass and taking a touch; we just can't retain and transfer possession. Sargent's touch is woeful but nobody really looks any better.

We need to start performing again quickly. Another week or two like this and we're finishing in mid table. The decisions to terminate Ramsey's loan and let Cantwell go are looking pretty silly now. 

• Like 1

1.48 ppg under Smith this season, 1.57 under Wagner. Just not convinced. Appointment on one good spell in charge of a club 5 years ago with abject failures ever since.

• Like 2

I know it's not Wagner's squad but I'm beginning to see why he was sacked in his last two jobs. Giving the impression of being totally clueless in not improving the cards he's been handed. Not convinced by him one jot.

Not sure why we were prepared to surrender the midfield today, we have enough in our squad to be dominating at this level.

Probably Sara's worse game since the tragic Smith days.

I just want to see some identity in our play, create chances, even if the defence is leaky. I'm not seeing it though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Holt said:

1.48 ppg under Smith this season, 1.57 under Wagner. Just not convinced. Appointment on one good spell in charge of a club 5 years ago with abject failures ever since.

He was appointed purely because Webber knew him personally and he did the job at Huddersfield. Like a lot of things, it doesn't always work 'second time round'! I would love to know who else we 'spoke to or interviewed' (if in fact we did).  

Are you forgetting Wigan? Bristol? Huddersfield?  We seem to be very hit and miss under Wagner, and far more miss than hit in recent games.

You have to give Wagner a chance, but I’m not convinced yet - some consistency would be nice. 

8 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

He was appointed purely because Webber knew him personally and he did the job at Huddersfield. Like a lot of things, it doesn't always work 'second time round'! I would love to know who else we 'spoke to or interviewed' (if in fact we did).  

I think you've answered yourself there. 

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Probably Sara's worse game since the tragic Smith days.

Sara was totally outnumbered because Sargent was too high and McLean too deep to offer any real support.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This is been a very poor three games but the biggest worry is that things are getting worse, not better. I've previously defended the manager but I'm baffled by the tactical choices today. 4-4-2 was highly questionable, putting Aarons in midfield was bonkers; if he was worried about height at right back then Omobamidele should have started, but Aarons is not a midfielder. 

It clearly wasn't working at half time. The obvious change was to take off Sargent who was having an absolute mare and bring on Marquinhos or Nunez to get an extra man in midfield. Sorensen should have been playing at CDM from the start and could easily have moved there at half time.

Our passing is poor and getting worse. There's a real lack of cohesion between movement off the ball, picking the pass and taking a touch; we just can't retain and transfer possession. Sargent's touch is woeful but nobody really looks any better.

We need to start performing again quickly. Another week or two like this and we're finishing in mid table. The decisions to terminate Ramsey's loan and let Cantwell go are looking pretty silly now. 

Another week or two?..its been on the cards nearly all season that we are a mid table side, weve just hung around just outside the top 6 due to most of the division  being as mediocre as us...a few wins followed by a few  draws / losses. Burnley apart nearly every  team can win , draw or lose at anytime with no true long run of good form..its the story of the Champs this season and we are slap bang in the middle of it all

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sargent on the wing just does not work. Has never worked. Did not work under Smith so I have no clue why Wagner think it's going to work for him.

Sargent was not on the wing?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Shhhhh. We Don't let facts get in the way HSS! 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Come on don’t try to add facts into Cambridge’s analysis!!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Petriix said:

It's really not the end of the world of we don't get promoted this season. We have parachute money and a big drop in the wager bill at the end of the season.

If people cared that much about promotion then they should have got behind the team when we were in the auto slots and stopped bickering about eye tests.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

It's really not the end of the world of we don't get promoted this season. We have parachute money and a big drop in the wager bill at the end of the season.

If people cared that much about promotion then they should have got behind the team when we were in the auto slots and stopped bickering about eye tests.

You mean that parachute money that we've already spent? 

• Like 1

this was my comment at half time. Stand by it, I think.  Very strange to re-jig your whole team to counter a threat from a mid-table champs team.

41 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sargent on the wing just does not work. Has never worked. Did not work under Smith so I have no clue why Wagner think it's going to work for him.

Tell us you didn't watch the game without telling us you didn't watch the game

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Shhhhh. We Don't let facts get in the way HSS! 

12 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Come on don’t try to add facts into Cambridge’s analysis!!

Alas, the only important fact here for CC is that he was the first to reply to this shiny new topic on the homepage… 

• Like 1

Admire the positive outlook massively. But....we have already spent the parachute payments, Mr Attanasio aside. Massive drop in wage bill but again we're trying to replace important players with lesser  cheaper versions. We are Norwich City at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Please make it stop

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Do you really think Sargent offers anything on the wing

Tell us you don’t read replies to your posts without telling us you don’t read replies to your posts…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There has been a few tactical choices made of late which have puzzled me. I’ll give him the benefit of any doubt while he’s not been given more time to add his own style of players into the mix. For me he gets till January next year to show us we can produce more once he’s got more of his own stamp on the squad which requires a huge overhaul in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

There has been a few tactical choices made of late which have puzzled me. I’ll give him the benefit of any doubt while he’s not been given more time to add his own style of players into the mix. For me he gets till January next year to show us we can produce more once he’s got more of his own stamp on the squad which requires a huge overhaul in the summer. 

Have to agree, I really hope he's just "experimenting" for next season with the knowledge that we aren't going anywhere this year - because if this is the tactical thinking we've got to look forward to then God help us all. 

Overhaul definitely needed, can imagine we will see a fair few players come and go in the summer with the recruitment looking very much like farke season 1 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

8 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

DW says he's "pleased" with the performance... Meanwhile AN can't believe we went and played for a draw. 🤷🤔

Couldn't care less what AN thought, form wise, we needed to address the slump, and that can mean getting any points on the board. Though the proof will be in our next game. Time is running out, but realistically, bouncing back first time twice is difficult. We haven't invested in much in this team in fees and wages as Fulham, and they did three promotions and two relegations and look like they could make it stick this time.

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Couldn't care less what AN thought, form wise, we needed to address the slump, and that can mean getting any points on the board. Though the proof will be in our next game. Time is running out, but realistically, bouncing back first time twice is difficult. We haven't invested in much in this team in fees and wages as Fulham, and they did three promotions and two relegations and look like they could make it stick this time.

To be honest, I'm glad - nothing gives me night terrors more than the thought of the bulk of this squad going into the PL. 

BBC had us as a 4-2-3-1 with Kenny n Sorenson in midfield and said in a WhatsApp group that I liked the look of it.

Then the game started and I realised the BBC intern doing the website set our team out better than Wagner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1