Sign in to follow this  
Myra Hawtree

Stats Today

72% possession!  17 shots - 5 on target.  Sunderland 11 and 5.  Corners Norwich 8 to 3.  Fouls Norwich 13 to 21 by Sunderland.

How did we lose???

1 minute ago, Myra Hawtree said:

72% possession!  17 shots - 5 on target.  Sunderland 11 and 5.  Corners Norwich 8 to 3.  Fouls Norwich 13 to 21 by Sunderland.

How did we lose???

They scored. We didn’t. *smiley face* 

• Haha 1

Sunderland missed 2 more good chances that were far better than what we created.

Much of our first half possession was across the back and sideways.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

How did we lose???

Grant Hanley!

6 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

How did we lose???

A question that highlights the irrelevance of those numbers.

8 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

They scored. We didn’t. *smiley face* 

Simple 💥

8 hours ago, Myra Hawtree said:

How did we lose???

68% of that 72% was inside our own penalty area…

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

A question that highlights the irrelevance of those numbers.

Not strictly true, as I would imagine statistically if you consider all the football league games this weekend, more often than not the team with the most possession and shots would have won. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AJ said:

Not strictly true, as I would imagine statistically if you consider all the football league games this weekend, more often than not the team with the most possession and shots would have won. 

Then along came Norwich.

• Haha 1

There was a stat mentioned by Sky that I hadn't heard of before that I think they called 'field tilt' basically how much of each teams touches were happening in the final third. Sunderland had less of the ball but when they had it they got it into dangerous areas, we had lots of passing around the halfway line.

• Like 1

Sunderland came with a game plan and stuck to it. They were well organised, well drilled and knew they were never going to have the dominance of possession.

Sometimes stats can be misleading. Shots just mean attempts at goal. If you prevent teams getting into your box much, those shots are largely going to be from longer distances which means the chances of them turning into goals will be smaller than shots in the box. The keeper has a longer time to see them coming and to make the save and they have to be hit with more power and accuracy to beat them.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned xG.  I've googled it and on infogol it is saying xG was 0.94 to 1.03.  So effectively xG calls it as a draw.

Which ties in with my perception from watching that it was actually in the end quite even in terms of chances created.  Partly this was because Sunderland grew more defensive as the game wore on and towards the end it was almost defence vs attack with occasional breakaways aiming for the corners.

Of course, xG doesn't capture our rather listless play in the box (and generally TBF), taking too many touches, shooting directly at the keeper etc.

I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to hear the xG outcome for the game.

20 hours ago, chicken said:

Sunderland came with a game plan and stuck to it. They were well organised, well drilled and knew they were never going to have the dominance of possession.

Sometimes stats can be misleading. Shots just mean attempts at goal. If you prevent teams getting into your box much, those shots are largely going to be from longer distances which means the chances of them turning into goals will be smaller than shots in the box. The keeper has a longer time to see them coming and to make the save and they have to be hit with more power and accuracy to beat them.

XG needs to be refined.

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

XG needs to be refined.

It has been and I would assume it will be again.

On 12/03/2023 at 14:38, Myra Hawtree said:

How did we lose???

Looks like the stats of a FM match just before I rage quit 😂

6 hours ago, essex canary said:

XG needs to be refined.

The xG was about even for the game which seems right to me. Half of their xG was from the chance they had just after they had scored.

• Like 1