cambridgeshire canary

I see Hugill scored twice today..

Just now, hogesar said:

We have 3

Indeed. Main reason Wagner got rid of Hugill is due to Hugill wanting regular game time which with Pukki and Sargent was not going to happen, nothing to do with Wagner thinking he's ****

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Indeed. Main reason Wagner got rid of Hugill is due to Hugill wanting regular game time which with Pukki and Sargent was not going to happen, nothing to do with Wagner thinking he's ****

Told you that did he? 

I'd be more surprised at any player not wanting game time and question their commitment. 

I liked old JH, I think most of us did, but, like a stick of South Yorkshire rock, cut him in half, and you'd see Rotherman written in bold letters in a perfect circle. It's his level to a tee.

How West Ham ever paid a reported £10m for his services is beyond belief, and illustrates that all comers can make big mistakes in the transfer market.

Very poor scouting though because somebody must have considered him the real deal, capable of succeeding against Premier League defenders.

Perhaps the same scouts could recommend Idah for the same price?

No, no! Didn't mean that, only joking. Poor young Adam has had more than his fair share of flack this week as it is, and besides he had a decent game today.

Edited by BroadstairsR

58 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I liked old JH, I think most of us did, but, like a stick of South Yorkshire rock, cut him in half, and you'd see Rotherman written in bold letters in a perfect circle. It's his level to a tee.

How West Ham ever paid a reported £10m for his services is beyond belief, and illustrates that all comers can make big mistakes in the transfer market.

Very poor scouting though because somebody must have considered him the real deal, capable of succeeding against Premier League defenders.

No, no! Didn't mean that, only joking. Poor young Adam has had more than his fair share of flack this week as it is, and besides he had a decent game today.

If you think 10 million for Hugill is a waste take a look at Bournmouths record purchases.. And yes I know Ake was probably decent in hindsight given hes now slowly making his way to being a Man City regular but he was not exactly the best defender for the Cherries that much is for sure

bourn.jpg

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If you think 10 million for Hugill is a waste take a look at Bournmouths record purchases.. And yes I know Ake was probably decent in hindsight given hes now slowly making his way to being a Man City regular but he was not exactly the best defender for the Cherries that much is for sure

bourn.jpg

Lerma, regular for Bournemouth and probably their best player.

Ake, sold for a huge profit to Man City,.

Zabarnyi, only signed 6 weeks ago so far too early to judge.

Outtara, only signed 6 weeks ago, currently in Prem league first team.

Solanke, Prem League regular, only scored a few times this season but 29 goals in the Champs last season so their ticket back if they get relegated.

That's their top 5, so what's your point exactly?

Not sure I understand all the vitriol about Hugill. I always felt he was unfortunate not to get more minutes with us. Always had a great attitude and created problems for defenders. Not prolific, but carried a lot more threat than our current 3rd choice striker. 

The club have clearly decided that Idah is the future (rightly or wrongly), and the Hugill wants to be playing regularly before he retires, so the move made sense for both parties. Good luck to the guy. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I think the reality is 10 million was not a big outlay for West Ham, they are regularly making double digit million transfers and strikers cost a premium. A 10 million punt on a Striker is not a big deal for the majority of PL teams.

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think the reality is 10 million was not a big outlay for West Ham, they are regularly making double digit million transfers and strikers cost a premium. A 10 million punt on a Striker is not a big deal for the majority of PL teams.

Yes, you have to say financially it's comparable to us risking a 2 million punt on a league one striker who's just had a good season (not that you'd get one for that price in the current market!)

Where were the posts when he was reverting to type for the previous 6 games and doing absolutely nothing?

Crap footballer scores for crap team against another crap team.

Let us never speak of him again.

A painful mistake in a troubled period in the clubs history.

14 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lerma, regular for Bournemouth and probably their best player.

Ake, sold for a huge profit to Man City,.

Zabarnyi, only signed 6 weeks ago so far too early to judge.

Outtara, only signed 6 weeks ago, currently in Prem league first team.

Solanke, Prem League regular, only scored a few times this season but 29 goals in the Champs last season so their ticket back if they get relegated.

That's their top 5, so what's your point exactly?

Hugill was just not very good. Seemed nice but I don’t get Cambridge’s love in for him. Odd comment earlier in that they deserve to stay up because they’ve yo-yoed for a while and the fans deserve it. That apply to us as well then? 

Just drivel 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes, you have to say financially it's comparable to us risking a 2 million punt on a league one striker who's just had a good season (not that you'd get one for that price in the current market!)

I think most people thought they overpaid for him at the time. If I remember correctly he was a January deadline day signing for West Ham which often leads to inflated fees.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think most people thought they overpaid for him at the time. If I remember correctly he was a January deadline day signing for West Ham which often leads to inflated fees.

Perhaps, with January it's naturally inflated but worth remembering West Ham weren't the only Prem club interested - think Palace was another one.

I just think of strikers we have bought over the years who have not worked out and just put this one down to the same thing. Somebody at the club had seen him, presumably playing well and thought he would be good for us. But was he playing at all or for the U23s when we bought him? I don't know.

At the time, he looked a bit like Bambi crossed with Robocop when he ran and that made me think twice. But even though I moan and groan about Webber, I still trust that he has bought well whenever a new player arrives. Of course sometimes it doesn't take long to see he gets it wrong possibly more times than right.

Hugill must have been seen as an alternative. Would Rhodes have done better? Apparently, the financial side of keeping Rhodes wasn't favourable. And we weren't prepared to risk money on Toney, who may have well flopped at CR.

I saw Hugill on TV a week or two back and he looked exactly the same as when he played for us, willing and strong but just not that great a player, fits in well at Rotherham IMO.

Rhodes is a perfect example of a player who's agent landed him a fantastic contract in the 2nd tier at a certain point in his career and it's basically stopped him from getting a proper go at the Premier league because teams like us were dubious about him making the step up given the amount we would have had to pay for him.  I can't remember if he ever did spend any time in the Prem or not ? Anyway it was a pity because he was the sort of player we could really have done with after promotion to bring on as an extra striker when we were chasing games, but I can understand us not wanting to shell out loads for him.

Are we going to get threads like this everytime he scores just like we did back in the day when RVW found the net when he left the club ?

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Are we going to get threads like this everytime he scores just like we did back in the day when RVW found the net when he left the club ?

Yes.

And radio silence when he's being useless the other 95% of the time.

But he was 'great in the dressing room'.

Future hall of famer right there.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

No doubt we are, interspersed with those about Cantwell.