Sign in to follow this  
Kirk

Milwall away help

1st ever post go easy

I normally go to milwall on club cabbage but fancy a change.  How easy and safe is it to go on the train?

Many thanks

Otbc

The journey from Norwich I assume is fine.

When you get to London you'll need an overground to South Bermondsey. Generally it is OK but I wouldn't massively recommend colours. 

When you get off there is usually a pretty large police presence that will shepherd away fans in a different direction to home fans so you don't  come into much contact there.

Post match I honestly don't know- I've only been once and I lived in London at the time so didn't jump straight back on the train after the final whistle.

17 minutes ago, Kirk said:

1st ever post go easy

I normally go to milwall on club cabbage but fancy a change.  How easy and safe is it to go on the train?

Many thanks

Otbc

Head over to London Bridge, loads of pubs round there and you can get really decent food from the stalls at Borough Market. It's about a 5 minute train ride to South Bermondsey. I've not done it on matchday so unsure how many home fans you will encounter. Don't think they have any issues with us lot, but if you're wearing colours maybe do up the coat for a bit.

42 minutes ago, Kirk said:

1st ever post go easy

Many thanks

Otbc

After the game you’ll be corralled out the ‘back entrance’ which is a long walkway to a national railway station (can’t recall which one) where you can safely get on an overground train back to civilisation. It’s all fine as the walkway is railed and away from home fans. As others have said wouldn’t bother with colours on the way to the ground itself. Generally Millwall isn’t like it was but still it’s better to be prepared. Enjoy!

The area is full of cowboys. You'll be fine, just be aware of your surroundings and dont wear colours and you'll be fine.

17 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

The area is full of cowboys. You'll be fine, just be aware of your surroundings and dont wear colours and you'll be fine.

Sad state of affairs if you can't wear your team colours going to a match. 

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Well you can. Its just not always advisable. It also depends whether you're by yourself or not or want to attract attention.

Edited by jaberry2
  • Like 1

The trains from Norwich to Liverpool St on that Saturday are an absolute nightmare with 2 changes for coach transfers extending the journey time to virtually 3 hours. The return journey is the same. We are driving to Epping and then get the underground.

Edited by TIL 1010

If you're an old and wearing colours you'll probably be OK. It's well segregated.

If you go there dressed as Capt.Canary we win and you start singing, " Millwall's a s*it hole I wanna go home " you might have to get used to hospital food. I remember one year some guy with a death wish ran to the front of our stand waving his arms about asking the Neanderthals if they wanted some. Afterwards he got more than he bargained for and had to be rescued by the Old Bill....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The trains from Norwich to Liverpool St on that Saturday are an absolute nightmare with 2 changes for coach transfers extending the journey time to virtually 3 hours. The return journey is the same. We are driving to Epping and then get the underground.

Aren't there trains via Cambridge Tilly ?

Been twice over recent years. Never seen any trouble despite thrashing them 5-1on one occasion and suggesting home fans were leaving early due to a fire drill !!! As already mentioned there is now an away fans walkway from Ground to South Bermondsey station. Usually travel as suggested. Car to Epping Station, now £6 all day, and Tube to London Bridge and then take overground. Don't think the Den these days is much to worry about.

19 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Aren't there trains via Cambridge Tilly ?

Just as bad Graham with a 3 hour journey to get to London. Vos has the same thought as my little group using Central Line.

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just as bad Graham with a 3 hour journey to get to London. Vos has the same thought as my little group using Central Line.

I assume the changes are due to engineering works that day/weekend. Obviously they don't bother checking the football fixtures. Frustrating, as generally Millwall away is a straightforward journey for City fans.

11 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I assume the changes are due to engineering works that day/weekend. Obviously they don't bother checking the football fixtures. Frustrating, as generally Millwall away is a straightforward journey for City fans.

First stop at Liverpool Street is usually Hamilton Hall for a couple in Spooooons before getting across to London Bridge and a couple more in The Barrowboy and Banker near Borough Market. As you say frustrating especially for the car driver even if the car is left at Epping.

Millwall is one of the best football grounds to visit with some of the of friendliest and warmest supporters about.

However it was always traditionally a rough house area of dockers - no more- proud of their manor and wouldn’t give an inch to any outsiders taking liberties, in their eyes.

If you go down there in a group, wearing Stone Island, then expect a fight, otherwise kids and families should be fine.

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

Millwall is one of the best football grounds to visit with some of the of friendliest and warmest supporters about.

However it was always traditionally a rough house area of dockers - no more- proud of their manor and wouldn’t give an inch to any outsiders taking liberties, in their eyes.

If you go down there in a group, wearing Stone Island, then expect a fight, otherwise kids and families should be fine.

Is it safe to wear Primani jeans and trainers and a "wesket" from Matalan?.........asking for a friend.........

3 hours ago, Sheva said:

Last time us saw us play there we won 3-1 and I had to go in with the home fans. Their ticket office said the Barry Kitchener Stand was ' quieter ' than the Dockers Stand so in I went.

Quieter ? It was all screaming  ' six fingered c*nts ', ' sister shaggers ', etc, etc, and this was by grandparents with their grandkids in tow. It was pretty scary and luckily I was in the gents when they scored. It didn't take much effort not to cheer when we did.

I'll have to take your word for it.

• Like 1

Barrow Boy and Banker near London Bridge is a great pub and mostly away fans. You can get the overground train to South Bermondsey the segregation on the train is pretty good . As Til says the trains are a nightmare that day. Would drive to Redbridge or somewhere further on the Central Line . I’ve never had  any problems until you get to the ground , and then stay with the away fans  

If you don’t go looking for trouble and don’t act a dïck you’ll be ok. I’d rather go to the Den  than molineux ! 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2023 at 15:25, lake district canary said:

You are entering Khan’s London. Cops can’t stop and search and tbh they have bigger fish to fry for your Taxpayers Buck. 
The Police are not thinking about some 18th Century ‘chase the bladder’ tribal issue in some anonymous Saaarf London cauldron. 
I’ve been to the New Den a few times. You’ll get spat on (maybe) and provided you are not wearing full kit, you’ll not be troubled. 
There are many pubs around Surrey Quays you’re most welcome. 
At most railway stations in the vicinity, you’ll be called a Turnip Shagger or similar should you happen to  be in or ‘on’ a Miwaw manor.

44 minutes ago, Satriales said:

2800 ticket allocation and only 100 left according to a tweet from the club, should be a sellout.

I'm not sure why that is as the away end (North Stand) holds 4000

From the WBA site for Jan 29th 2022

"The Baggies have been handed an allocation of 2,100 for the trip to London, and supporters are now able to pay on the day at The Den.

Seats can only be secured from Millwall's North Stand Ticket Office, which is situated next to the away turnstiles. Both cash and card will be accepted."

Pay on the gate, but £3 more

Edited by PockthorpePete

35 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I'm not sure why that is as the away end (North Stand) holds 4000

From the WBA site for Jan 29th 2022

"The Baggies have been handed an allocation of 2,100 for the trip to London, and supporters are now able to pay on the day at The Den.

Seats can only be secured from Millwall's North Stand Ticket Office, which is situated next to the away turnstiles. Both cash and card will be accepted."

Pay on the gate, but £3 more.

I wonder what @essex canary would have to say if Norwich did that ?

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I'm not sure what the gate price was above. The prices £33 was for purchase from WBA ticket off.

Last autumn

" The Baggies visit The Den on Saturday, October 22 (ko 3pm) and will have an allocation of 1,956.

Seats are priced at £30

Tickets are available to purchase on the day from the North Stand Ticket Office

Please be aware that prices will increase by £3 on the day. Supporters will be able to pay with cash and card  "

That does seem an odd number to allocate. I can only surmise that only the top tier is used, which does provide safety as it stops pitch invasions from away fans and also discourages home fans confronting away fans via pitch invasions.

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:
52 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Pay on the gate, but £3 more

He’d probably be reminding Carrow Rd that OAPs are only 63 at the New Den.

Must be something to do with reduced life expectancy on the mean streets of SE16 so probably wouldn’t cut much ice in sleepy old NR1