Top corner

Marquinhos on loan

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Enjoyed that Ron, thanks. Turning up with mum and dad, still a very young man, hope he is able to settle quickly. I have much more confidence that Wagner will get the best out of all our players, including those that have returned, exciting times.

Also of course the true extent of Onel's linguistic skills should come as no surprise!!!

Didn't Onel just say 'thank you' in Portuguese? 😂

Has anyone else noticed that the translator we employ looks like Kieran Dowell's twin.

Edited by Satriales

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

In total contrast, Hanley gives a miserable hello and then just walks off....not exactly what I'd expect from our captain.

I think this moment absolutely supports all my concerns about him. Absolutely zero leadership skills displayed there, just as much as Webber demonstrates no empathy. Does Webber appoint the club captain or does the Head Coach. Given what I have seen think it might be Webber. 🤔

On 31/01/2023 at 09:04, Captain Holt said:

Should have given him 14 😂

Screenshot_20230131_090338_Twitter.jpg

I'm excited by this announcement. I can't be the only one who was waiting to see what a 'Q' looks like in Norwich Weave

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm excited by this announcement. I can't be the only one who was waiting to see what a 'Q' looks like in Norwich Weave

Is it not on the side of the picture you posted?

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Enjoyed that Ron, thanks. Turning up with mum and dad, still a very young man, hope he is able to settle quickly. I have much more confidence that Wagner will get the best out of all our players, including those that have returned, exciting times.

Also of course the true extent of Onel's linguistic skills should come as no surprise!!!

He's mums not bad looking 🙂 It is quite clear he hasnt played a lot of football, so hopefully he can get up to speed quickly. I wouldnt be surprised if we built up his mins initially with sub appearances.

1 hour ago, Satriales said:

Has anyone else noticed that the translator we emply looks like Kieran Dowell's twin.

There was also a fat bloke who looked a bit like an inflated Webber face

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Yeah who was that guy?

22 minutes ago, Van wink said:

That's Webbers BIG brother

30 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Is it not on the side of the picture you posted?

It is, which is why I said I 'was' waiting. I'm waiting no longer. I am a bit underwhelmed by the 'Q', though. Still, I enjoyed the anticipation.

56 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It is, which is why I said I 'was' waiting. I'm waiting no longer. I am a bit underwhelmed by the 'Q', though. Still, I enjoyed the anticipation.

Sorry, misread it totally and was a bit confused

• Like 1

would of been a good put down reply to Kenny " Understand Scottish ha ha ha " 

Marquinhos .....................".yes i am just ignoring you "

He looks a lot older than 19 ? 

35 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Sorry, misread it totally and was a bit confused

no worries. I was just amusing myself really. sorry to cause confusion!

25 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Here are two photos of Joseph Minala. First when he was a 17 year old at Lazio and more recent photo of him at Salernitana at age 23.

FaYyVdOXwAA4Zg5?format=jpg&name=small

37 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Maybe we should cut one of his legs off and count the rings, settle the argument once and for all. 

• Haha 4

I remember a few years ago seeing a player for Mayo Schoolboys League U14, he was 6'4" , originally from Cameroon i think, built like a Brick shoitehouse , full beard and very dominant  at set pieces .....he scored a rocket of a header having climbed at least 2 feet above everybody else. At which point some wit in tbe crowd shouted..... " yes!! Daddy scored". 😂

Noah somethingorother.... havent heard anything of him since. 

On 01/02/2023 at 13:39, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe we should cut one of his legs off and count the rings, settle the argument once and for all. 

well the other Player we got in on loan only has one good leg so i think he will be fine 

On 01/02/2023 at 09:44, Satriales said:

Has anyone else noticed that the translator we employ looks like Kieran Dowell's twin.

We’re definitely keeping the translator in business for the foreseeable future. I noticed at Coventry, Sara seemed to be talking with fellow team mates a fair bit which is encouraging if they are able to communicate effectively. A language barrier on the pitch can’t help. But I’m a little surprised the new guy hasn’t picked up more English in the time he’s already been with Arsenal.

19 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

We’re definitely keeping the translator in business for the foreseeable future. I noticed at Coventry, Sara seemed to be talking with fellow team mates a fair bit which is encouraging if they are able to communicate effectively. A language barrier on the pitch can’t help. But I’m a little surprised the new guy hasn’t picked up more English in the time he’s already been with Arsenal.

Yeah, Sara's english appears to be ok, whereas Nunez still appears to have non at all! At least he can speak with Onel!

19 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I think we have some excellent translators / tutors at City. Remember when Emi first arrived and he could barely speak any English compared to that of when he left. This is something I was saying to my mate that we must have some really good language teachers.

I guess it also depends on the students application and drive to learn too… apparently Aguero could barely speak English despite being at Man City for years… maybe it’s something we strive for when we sign a foreign player?? 

Must be a stange job being a translator for a football team. They travel to all games and are at training just the same as the players do, plus they're in the dressing room for the team talks etc. Experiencing the life of a footballer without actually being one, probably doesn't have a flash car though!

On 01/02/2023 at 13:26, cambridgeshire canary said:

Here are two photos of Joseph Minala. First when he was a 17 year old at Lazio and more recent photo of him at Salernitana at age 23.

He is very likely much older than he claims.

They have a real problem with that in Cameroon.

Not sure if you've seen this recently? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11591601/Cameroon-football-rocked-age-fraud-21-30-17-players-disqualified.html

21 of their 30 national team U17 players were found to be overaged. 

On 01/02/2023 at 09:44, Satriales said:

Just a small heads-up - spoken work between languages is interpreting, written work is translation. Most people get interpreters (spoken) and translators (written) mixed up.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just a small heads-up - spoken work between languages is interpreting, written work is translation. Most people get interpreters (spoken) and translators (written) mixed up.

Good point! Either way I'm usually in awe of people who can speak fluently in multiple languages.

• Like 1

Just now, Satriales said:

Good point! Either way I'm usually in awe of people who can speak fluently in multiple languages.

It always amuses me - I've been pointing this difference out for years (German/English freelance translator for over 10 years here). And I still get asked "what's it like being in a court room when the trial is going on?"

Wouldn't know. I'm just sat at my desk!

Also reminds me - pure skill in a language is not tantamount to translating/interpreting ability. I'll always be very confident in the quality of my spoken German, but I can't interpret for shoite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

It always amuses me - I've been pointing this difference out for years (German/English freelance translator for over 10 years here). And I still get asked "what's it like being in a court room when the trial is going on?"

Wouldn't know. I'm just sat at my desk!

Also reminds me - pure skill in a language is not tantamount to translating/interpreting ability. I'll always be very confident in the quality of my spoken German, but I can't interpret for shoite.

So the skill to be a good interpreter I assume is being able to listen to what is being said and then to quickly and accurately relay the message in a different language. I think I would be rubbish at that even if both were in English, my brain doesnt function that quickly haha.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:48, Robert N. LiM said:

Quintilla says hi 😅

5 minutes ago, Satriales said:

So the skill to be a good interpreter I assume is being able to listen to what is being said and then to quickly and accurately relay the message in a different language. I think I would be rubbish at that even if both were in English, my brain doesnt function that quickly haha.

There's definitely an element of anticipation involved, especially in German - and especially in German subordinate clauses where the verbs tend to get lumped at the end so you're not quite clear on the activity in question until the sentence has gone. At the same time, you still need to be alert to the next sentence coming in whilst paying attention to what you say and ensuring what you say is accurate enough.

It requires excellent speed of processing and formidable powers of concentration. If you're doing consecutive translation, an ability to devise your own shorthand is essential, as are excellent powers of recall. If it's simultaneous, it's all about speed, so the ability to cut to the core of a message on the move is possibly the key to doing that well.

EDIT: Either way, I'm glad I changed my Masters to just Translation as initially I started out doing both Translation and Interpreting. Didn't have what it took for interpreting, don't mind saying that.

Edited by TheGunnShow

On 01/02/2023 at 13:26, cambridgeshire canary said:

17????? 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Breathe 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 

Is that just the day he was born on? 17th of whatever month 1970 something 😂