PockthorpePete

Out of contract in June

Pukki Hernandez Dowell - stay

Sinani - not sure

Hugill, McGovern Hayden Byram - go

Both Dowe'l and Hernadez have been a revelation, and Pukki looks to be back to his best. Sinani is fine for the Championship. Bryam, great player, but too many injury problems. Similarly Hayden. McGovern, may mean we can get our younger keepers out on loan not sat here as 3rd choice. Hugill, can't see anyone wanting that donkey. Certainly not us

Pukki - really hoping we offer him a new contract 

Dowell - did well under Farke’s tactics two years ago, and looking like he will under Wagner’s too. Was never against offering him a new contract 

Hernandez - was against keeping him, as it was looking like he was never going to get back to the form he was in during Farke’s first promotion season four years ago. He’s also started to look like he might do well under Wagner’s tactics, but would give him a month or so to see how he does before offering him a new one 

Sinani - did well in this league for Huddersfield last season. Was looking poor, although did quite well last week. Personally I’d only offer him a new contract if we fail to get promoted as I think it would be a waste of wages in the PL

Hugill - not in Wagner’s plans. Really hoping we sell him this month whilst we can still get some money for him. I think there are some smaller clubs who would buy him - Reading and Rotherham have been linked 

McGovern - I think he’ll retire this summer as he’s been working on becoming a coach and is currently 38

Hayden - for us to buy him he has to play a certain number of games and we have to get promoted. Out injured again, so can’t see him playing the required number of games. Injury prone 

Byram - decent when fit, but too injury prone

Would keep Byram and Hayden if they weren’t so injury prone

Would love Pukki to stay but balls very much in his court.

I think we should keep Dowell and Hernandez agreed, both clearly offer something under Wagner and we need to spend money wisely whatever division we find ourselves in.

McGovern is probably fine as third choice if he still wants to play, gives opportunity for younger players to go on loan and get games.

Rest I agree with, thanks for your service but time to move on.

Edited by Monty13

McGovern is an odd one. At his age with his lack of playtime even if he were to decide to leave don't think there are hardly any clubs that would want him as first choice. I for one hope he goes into coaching. 

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Sinani - not sure

Both Dowe'l and Hernadez have been a revelation, and Pukki looks to be back to his best. Sinani is fine for the Championship. Bryam, great player, but too many injury problems. Similarly Hayden. McGovern, may mean we can get our younger keepers out on loan not sat here as 3rd choice. Hugill, can't see anyone wanting that donkey. Certainly not us

I think Sinani is useless personally, he'd go in my 'go' list.

The rest of it I agree with. Reluctantly with Byram as he's a class act but unfortunately can't afford to carry passengers.

One player missing from your list is Josh Martin. Rate him as having more potential than Sinani personally, he's a clever player. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

28 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Hugill - not in Wagner’s plans. Really hoping we sell him this month whilst we can still get some money for him. I think there are some smaller clubs who would buy him - Reading and Rotherham have been linked 

sell him ! ! !

We can't give him away, he is that bad. It took Wagener barely a week to see that. Loans to WBA and Cardiff demonstrated that others see the same (see their fans reaction to him). Unless we offer to pay a large chucnk of his wages I cannot see any club wanting him on loan. He will finally grasp just how bad he is this coming summer

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

even if he were to decide to leave

I don't think he's going to have to make that decision, it will be made for him, end of the road as a player.

Should note though that he is already coaching, for us, the youngsters. That was part of his 2 year deal, he has coaching responsibilities as part of his role as 3rd keeper.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

note to TVB - Josh Martin joins on an initial loan deal until the end of the season from Norwich City, with the Reds having an option to make the move permanent.

7 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

sell him ! ! !

We can't give him away, he is that bad. It took Wagener barely a week to see that. Loans to WBA and Cardiff demonstrated that others see the same (see their fans reaction to him). Unless we offer to pay a large chucnk of his wages I cannot see any club wanting him on loan. He will finally grasp just how bad he is this coming summer

Has he shagged your mum or something? You can’t wait to stick the boot in can you ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Has he shagged your mum or something? You can’t wait to stick the boot in can you ? 

He is utterly useless. You know it, Wagner knows it and WHU, Boro, WBA  and Cardiff alll know it as well. And there's no need for personal ommnts either. Stick the the matter in hand, not the poster.

.... is actually none. My comments are directed to his foobtall abilities, ir not, as is the case. Nothing about him as a person or any members of his family. If you are unable to stick tri football then don't be surprised if I do not reply.

25 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

note to TVB - Josh Martin joins on an initial loan deal until the end of the season from Norwich City, with the Reds having an option to make the move permanent.

They have the option, yes, but if they don't trigger it then we can offer him an extension can't we.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

25 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

He is utterly useless. You know it, Wagner knows it and WHU, Boro, WBA  and Cardiff alll know it as well. And there's no need for personal ommnts either. Stick the the matter in hand, not the poster.

So why did Webber and Farke agree to shell out best part of FIVE Million UK Sterling for said donkey? Your fury at Hugill should be directed at their door for a calamitous waste of money surely??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They have the option, yes, but if they don't trigger it then we can offer him an extension can't we.

I've always thought Josh Martin has something about him (ever since I saw him score a brilliant hat-trick in the FA Youth Cup), but he's not even getting off the bench for Barnsley at the moment - an unused sub again today. As things stand at the moment it's hard to see us offering him an extension if Barnsley don't want him. 

• Like 1

Pukki: Would love to see him stay but I think it only makes sense for both parties if we get promoted. Still a chance he gets a better offer abroad even then.

Onel: Even though it would probably be unpopular I wouldn't give him a new deal. He turns 30 in a couple of weeks so in principle I don't think we should be handing out contracts to players like that. We might be able to get him to sign a 1 year deal which I'd be more tempted by. If we get promoted then the wide areas will be an obvious priority and if we don't then we have a number of younger wingers who we need to start playing sooner or later. 

Dowell: Definitely keep, still only 25 so we probably haven't seen his best yet but was excellent down the stretch in 20/21 and looks to be on the same path again. His floor is a top championship player, whether he will be good enough for the PL is another question but I would rather we find out here than letting someone else do so.

Sinani: Was a complete lottery ticket of a signing and we got close to turning a nice profit on him. Anything we get out of him is a bonus really. Similar to Onel, if in prem we need better and champs we can go with the young lads.

Hugill/Byram: No point at all in offering them deals.

Hayden: I would probably say no as he just hasn't had a big enough impact to make it worth signing him.

McGovern: Don't care either way, hard to really muster the energy over a 3rd choice keeper.

13 minutes ago, repman said:

Pukki: Would love to see him stay but I think it only makes sense for both parties if we get promoted. Still a chance he gets a better offer abroad even then.

Onel: Even though it would probably be unpopular I wouldn't give him a new deal. He turns 30 in a couple of weeks so in principle I don't think we should be handing out contracts to players like that. We might be able to get him to sign a 1 year deal which I'd be more tempted by. If we get promoted then the wide areas will be an obvious priority and if we don't then we have a number of younger wingers who we need to start playing sooner or later. 

Dowell: Definitely keep, still only 25 so we probably haven't seen his best yet but was excellent down the stretch in 20/21 and looks to be on the same path again. His floor is a top championship player, whether he will be good enough for the PL is another question but I would rather we find out here than letting someone else do so.

Sinani: Was a complete lottery ticket of a signing and we got close to turning a nice profit on him. Anything we get out of him is a bonus really. Similar to Onel, if in prem we need better and champs we can go with the young lads.

Hugill/Byram: No point at all in offering them deals.

Hayden: I would probably say no as he just hasn't had a big enough impact to make it worth signing him.

McGovern: Don't care either way, hard to really muster the energy over a 3rd choice keeper.

I'm torn,

We couldn't have Teemu leading the line in the Premier League and I'm sure he'd want to spend his last few years playing week in week out.

Would be all for keeping him if we didn't go up, though not sure he'd appreciate that.

You do know that the club can't unilaterally keep out of contract players right?

Players like Pukki and Dowell are expensive and, if we stay in the Championship, their wage demands would be hard for us to afford. It's almost certain that they could get more elsewhere than we could offer.

If we're staying down then we need the big wages off the books if we're to remain solvent so, while we'd love to keep them, it will be challenging to offer competitive wages.

13 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Sinani - not sure

I'd be happy for Hernandez and Dowell to sign a new deal, however we must buy upgrades if we were to get promoted. We've failed to upgrade the squad on both occasions that we've been promoted under Webber and, subsequently, we've been too reliant on Pukki. 

The Byram and Hayden injuries are a shame. Both would be pretty solid for us in the PL (both technically and physically, which is a combination we've lacked) but their place in the squad takes up space and wages.

The market for players has changed, I think a new contract for McGovern, Pukki, Hernandez, and Dowell, could all make sense, but it does depend what other players are available.

I think people are being a bit hard on Hugill here …

He’s clearly limited, and clearly fourth in line for one or two berths up top - but we’re only two injuries away from having just one fit striker if he goes - so I for one would keep him in the building as a back up and then let him leave at the end of the season with our blessings…..

2 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I think people are being a bit hard on Hugill here …

He’s clearly limited, and clearly fourth in line for one or two berths up top - but we’re only two injuries away from having just one fit striker if he goes - so I for one would keep him in the building as a back up and then let him leave at the end of the season with our blessings…..

Wagner is very keen on getting Academy lads involved in first-team training, so if there were injuries to our main strikers, I'd rather he invested in Abu Kamara (or, less likely, Omotoye or Dickson-Peters) than gave Hugill pitch time. If anyone wants Hugill I'd let him go now, personally. He doesn't have the footballing intelligence or technique to play in this system.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I've always thought Josh Martin has something about him (ever since I saw him score a brilliant hat-trick in the FA Youth Cup), but he's not even getting off the bench for Barnsley at the moment - an unused sub again today. As things stand at the moment it's hard to see us offering him an extension if Barnsley don't want him. 

Quite so - seems some think we can’t ‘carry’ players like Byram (fair enough) but would look to offer a new contract to a player not wanted by a L1 side.  Good luck to the lad, but it doesn’t feel like he’s currently at the right level. 

Surely whether we keep players or not is dependant on whether we go up or stay in the championship? If we go up, I'm sure Pukki would more than consider another year here.

20 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Surely whether we keep players or not is dependant on whether we go up or stay in the championship? If we go up, I'm sure Pukki would more than consider another year here.

I think it varies between players. We would always want to offer Pukki a new contract as he is proven in the PL, but whether he signs it might depend on whether we go up or not. Sinani would probably sign a new contract either way, but I think we will only offer him a new one if we fail to get promoted, as he is only proven in the Championship and would probably be a waste of wages in the PL. I think Dowell would be offered and sign a new contract either way

• Like 1