TheGoogler

Todd Cantwell to Rangers

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

So you admit that he showed in those two seasons of PL football that he was more than capable of playing at that level. Ability and form are separate issues.

Frankly I find people's need to keep going on about him in derogatory fashion somewhat perverse. Not least of all because the club have clearly written him off, and Wagner's plans don't involve him in any way. Move on, the team clearly has.

No, I certainly do not admit that and I'm not completely sure how you came to that conclusion, other than trying to put words in my mouth. I fully agree that form and ability are separate - that was my point. My assessment is that he's a decent - but not regular Premier League level - player, that had some good form in that season, which, is above his natural level. This is just my opinion, and one I have held even during his purple patch in the Premier League.

I find it strange that you single out my statement that he's a decent footballer that will make a decent living out of the game but not at the Premier League level, as the one you want to address when others are much harsher?

Edited by All the Germans
  • Like 2

On 16/01/2023 at 16:35, Petriix said:

So should we similarly blame Dowell for his absence from the team? He's played less than Cantwell and arguably been similarly out of form?

The truth is that there was no place for these less physical, more creative players in Smith's tactics. They were probably being asked to perform roles which were outside their skill sets. It's unsurprising that they struggled.

It's a similar story in the last weeks of Farke's tenure. Cantwell was initially tried as a winger then an 8 in the 4-3-3. In a totally incoherent midfield.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes. I'm not sure why Dowell was given a chance under Wagner but Cantwell wasn't. I do know that it's irrational to assume Todd himself is the problem, certainly unless/until any real information comes to light. 

Looking forward to supporting people that respect the Jersey and want to play for it. No one else interests myself to be honest...

37 minutes ago, Mengo said:

¿¿¿???

Ok, for anyone wanting to watch this I’m going to call this the most underwhelming series of highlights in history. My comments refer to this montage only.

Todd falls over/gets bundled over 22 times (almost never in a dangerous free kick position)

Todd scores or assists 3 times. Yes THREE during the entire 10 minute montage (1 goal, 2 assists)

Todd is exceptionally good at three things however so I’ll pay him his dues….

Firstly, he is a complete expert at the square ball in the centre of the pitch, he is able to do this incredibly well both on the ground and in the air. I mean like a total f***ing genius at the least incisive or threatening passing possible (excluding back passes to a GK). 

Todd is equally good at crossing from corners or free kicks in a way that never once leads to an actual goal. 

His final strength is he has feet quick enough to actually beat a man or two, but never to actually turn that into something. 

I’m not kidding. Someone please feel free to fact check me on this. Tbf to him, he is not in charge of the editing but there are at least two or three clips where he passes square under no pressure and there isn’t actually a player there so the ball trickles out of play or cuts just before it does 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Ok, for anyone wanting to watch this I’m going to call this the most underwhelming series of highlights in history. My comments refer to this montage only.

Todd falls over/gets bundled over 22 times (almost never in a dangerous free kick position)

Todd scores or assists 3 times. Yes THREE during the entire 10 minute montage (1 goal, 2 assists)

Firstly, he is a complete expert at the square ball in the centre of the pitch, he is able to do this incredibly well both on the ground and in the air. I mean like a total f***ing genius at the least incisive or threatening passing possible (excluding back passes to a GK). 

Todd is equally good at crossing from corners or free kicks in a way that never once leads to an actual goal. 

His final strength is he has feet quick enough to actually beat a man or two, but never to actually turn that into something. 

I’m not kidding. Someone please feel free to fact check me on this. Tbf to him, he is not in charge of the editing but there are at least two or three clips where he passes square under no pressure and there isn’t actually a player there so the ball trickles out of play or cuts just before it does 😂😂😂

Yep , correct. SWEARY. underwhelming is paying it a compliment ¿¿??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, All the Germans said:

No, I certainly do not admit that and I'm not completely sure how you came to that conclusion, other than trying to put words in my mouth. I fully agree that form and ability are separate - that was my point. My assessment is that he's a decent - but not regular Premier League level - player, that had some good form in that season, which, is above his natural level. This is just my opinion, and one I have held even during his purple patch in the Premier League.

I find it strange that you single out my statement that he's a decent footballer that will make a decent living out of the game but not at the Premier League level, as the one you want to address when others are much harsher?

Not particularly having a go at you above any of the others who seem obsessed with claiming Cantwell to be the devil's spawn. I merely pointed out that the assessment of people like Shearer and Lineker (and other pros) who watched him play two seasons in the PL are very much the opposite of those who claim he isn't up to that level. I would love to know on what criteria you have decided what his "natural level" is supposed to be. I find it a bit odd to admit that he performed very well on a number of occasions but claim "that's not his natural level". 

10 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Very wise to include the disclaimer about the editing. Perhaps the individual putting it together should have included the six goals he scored in the 2019/20 PL season (and the 1 scored in the cup).

All this debate about how good he is, is largely irrelvant if the lad doesnt turn up for training, keep himself fit or has the mental capacity to play football for 90 minutes.

It really doesnt matter how good you are if you dont make it onto the pitch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ah well, £25 to a good cause! 

I thought i was in for €50. 🤦‍♀️ .

You'll end up  coughing up anyway TvB as my Chelsea  prediction will come to pass 😂🤣😂

25 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Very wise to include the disclaimer about the editing. Perhaps the individual putting it together should have included the six goals he scored in the 2019/20 PL season (and the 1 scored in the cup).

Yes, strange that, hardly a comprehnsive video.

Cantwell - from that video - can be sen to have real flair and "zing" in his play - playing with a freedom and confidence that is remarkable - you could call it youthful exuberance. My concern would be is how much of that youthful exuberance will he have going forwards as he gets older. For some players, once that youthful enthusiaism dissipates, their game becomes just a bit more ordinary.

I don't know about that young winger we had ("who's name escapes me) but who burst on to the scene a season or two ago, looked really good for a few games and then in the space of one game seemed to lose all his confidence and never played for us again, but it does happen that bubbles can burst and they lose that extra 10% that got them noticed in the first place.

Cantwell had a spell when he did well when he came in to the championship side 18/19 - a good prospect - but he approached the following PL season like an express train and performed with panache and showed he had the mind for being a top player at that time. But the question is can he recreate that?  If he gets his move he will have to because what we saw from him under Smith was less than ordinary - a player just running around a lot and not doing much else.

To play like he did in that first PL season is a big ask, he's had so much down time since then. I hope he does do well again - I like seeing players prove their doubters wrong - but it's in the balance. I guess someone will take him on on the strength of what he did in that PL season, but it would be a gamble for them - but then some clubs can afford to gamble on a player in the hope that they come good, especially one available for next to nothing. 

So he may get his big club move in the end, but that doesn't mean he will succeed at that club, maybe ending up just being a bit part squad player earning lots of money but spending most of the time on the bench or not even in the match day squad......but would he then think he has "made it" to the top? Probably.....but he could have been a hero for us this last year or so, staying in the present and contributing like Max has so well, but his head has been elsewhere - not a good place to be if you want to be a top footballer.

At the moment he is a waste of space to us and the sooner he signs with another club the better. Give him his chance to show what he is made of and let us - and him - move on.

• Like 3

A wise man once said....

...nothing. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

A wise man once said....

...nothing. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, strange that, hardly a comprehnsive video.

Cantwell - from that video - can be sen to have real flair and "zing" in his play - playing with a freedom and confidence that is remarkable - you could call it youthful exuberance. My concern would be is how much of that youthful exuberance will he have going forwards as he gets older. For some players, once that youthful enthusiaism dissipates, their game becomes just a bit more ordinary.

I don't know about that young winger we had ("who's name escapes me) but who burst on to the scene a season or two ago, looked really good for a few games and then in the space of one game seemed to lose all his confidence and never played for us again, but it does happen that bubbles can burst and they lose that extra 10% that got them noticed in the first place.

Cantwell had a spell when he did well when he came in to the championship side 18/19 - a good prospect - but he approached the following PL season like an express train and performed with panache and showed he had the mind for being a top player at that time. But the question is can he recreate that?  If he gets his move he will have to because what we saw from him under Smith was less than ordinary - a player just running around a lot and not doing much else.

To play like he did in that first PL season is a big ask, he's had so much down time since then. I hope he does do well again - I like seeing players prove their doubters wrong - but it's in the balance. I guess someone will take him on on the strength of what he did in that PL season, but it would be a gamble for them - but then some clubs can afford to gamble on a player in the hope that they come good, especially one available for next to nothing. 

So he may get his big club move in the end, but that doesn't mean he will succeed at that club, maybe ending up just being a bit part squad player earning lots of money but spending most of the time on the bench or not even in the match day squad......but would he then think he has "made it" to the top? Probably.....but he could have been a hero for us this last year or so, staying in the present and contributing like Max has so well, but his head has been elsewhere - not a good place to be if you want to be a top footballer.

At the moment he is a waste of space to us and the sooner he signs with another club the better. Give him his chance to show what he is made of and let us - and him - move on.

Pretty much agree with that. That first season in the PL proved he has the talent to compete well in that league. That's the evidence that is in the bag. Whether he could repeat that is mere speculation for which no evidence is in by definition. He could turn out to be another Dele Ali, only the future will tell. The key point for me is that he has no future at NCFC and the club has very obviously moved on. Personally I hope he has a great career away from the club, and we find a replacement who fulfils even greater promise. 

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Pretty much agree with that. That first season in the PL proved he has the talent to compete well in that league. That's the evidence that is in the bag. Whether he could repeat that is mere speculation for which no evidence is in by definition. He could turn out to be another Dele Ali, only the future will tell. The key point for me is that he has no future at NCFC and the club has very obviously moved on. Personally I hope he has a great career away from the club, and we find a replacement who fulfils even greater promise. 

I hope he does well too, but I won't be following his career with any great interest because I think he has wasted his time by fantasising about "heading to the top".  That is really what has annoyed people - his inability to be in the present - that is to buckle down and get himself in the team, which on past evidence he has the ability to do. It's that thought that his mind is at somewhere else so much that he can't let it go and just focus on where he is. 

It's great to have ambition, but you get to the future by being in the present, not by just wishing you were there already......

• Like 6

Sky saying it's done. Lots of other media outlets too. Bit of a change given we heard the transfer fell apart yesteday. Still dont think its the right club for him dont think he can emotioanly cope with the SPL and the sheer hatred he's about to get from all non rangers fans in Scotland (never mind the anti english scotsmen too making him a double target..) everywhere he goes nonstop but I guess time will tell. Wish him well hope it goes ok but I get the feeling this won't end well

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Wagner in presser just now said “We gave Todd (Cantwell) time to decide his future. Nothing is agreed yet, but it’s moving.”

26 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Wagner in presser just now said “We gave Todd (Cantwell) time to decide his future. Nothing is agreed yet, but it’s moving.”

So basically "agree to join Rangers by next Wednesday or you can rot for half a season". It's fair enough, if there is a modest fee involved we need the time to try and spend it (albeit likely just on a loan fee for somebody I should imagine).

42 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sky saying it's done. Lots of other media outlets too. Bit of a change given we heard the transfer fell apart yesteday. Still dont think its the right club for him dont think he can emotioanly cope with the SPL and the sheer hatred he's about to get from all non rangers fans in Scotland (never mind the anti english scotsmen too making him a double target..) everywhere he goes nonstop but I guess time will tell. Wish him well hope it goes ok but I get the feeling this won't end well

My sentiments are similar. 

Actually hope it goes OK for him, wouldn't bet my house on it.

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If this turns out to be true then all those people claiming Cantwell had "yet again" thrown his toys out of the pram and sabotaged the deal look a bit silly don't they. You'd think everyone should be aware by now that 99% of press reports have the reliability of a Boris Johnson pledge to be faithful to his wife.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ths saga has been going on for too long and now (if) it's done, I just feel flat about it. 

There is a feeling there of  "good riddance", but I genuinely hope he finds what he is looking for in football. Maybe one day we'll hear his side about what went wrong, but then again, at the moment, I don't really care. 

Should have been a hero for us to admire and follow in his career and all he had to do was turn up, get fit and be available to play.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

My sentiments are similar. 

Actually hope it goes OK for him, wouldn't bet my house on it.

What, not even one of them ? I fear you are losing your cajones TvB😇

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What, not even one of them ? I fear you are losing your cajones TvB😇

I've had to tighten my belt since leaving banking wcorkcanary, even walk my own dogs now!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ths saga has been going on for too long and now (if) it's done, I just feel flat about it. 

There is a feeling there of  "good riddance", but I genuinely hope he finds what he is looking for in football. Maybe one day we'll hear his side about what went wrong, but then again, at the moment, I don't really care. 

Should have been a hero for us to admire and follow in his career and all he had to do was turn up, get fit and be available to play.

He is still a Hero. He was part of a great era for us.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've had to tighten my belt since leaving banking wcorkcanary, even walk my own dogs now!

I don't think putting them on the treadmills in your home gym in the East wing of the house counts... 

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And one of very few actual local lads to make it to the Premier League with us and play well for us. Certainly the most recent. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I hope you can give them a decent walk without leaving your own land  though.  

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Not for me. He had a good spell in the team in his breakthrough season, but faded towards the end of it. He then did very well for a while in the PL before fading again. He then "lost focus" the following season before eventually contributing to our promotion. He then lost focus again in the PL season - mainly because he was dropped and didn't like it - and he has hardly played for us since. He delayed his commitment having been offered a contract last time, eventually signing weeks after all the other players had signed theirs and has shown no inclination to sign another one, allowing his contract to run down meaning the club get very little for him in return for developing him as a player.

Heros don't do that, they offer everything to the cause. Aarons, Pukki, Krul, to name three, all give everything to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

It is good news for both parties, just be great to move on 

Absolutely! The club have clearly moved on, seems some fans just want to get as many digs in while he officially remains a canary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Absolutely! The club have clearly moved on, seems some fans just want to get as many digs in while he officially remains a canary.

Or maybe they are just expressing genuine frustration about a player who has failed to live up to expectation.

• Like 1