13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah he really cost us...winning the title the past two times we were in this division 😅😅😅

I cant wait for you to still go on about how right you are when he picks McLean 😅😅😅😅

Thats history...what matters is now and both he and our midfield are clearly not good enough and havent been all season

As for the previous 2 managers...neither were able to improve the midfield dept, if they were continuously picking him....both were sacked

If Wagner doesnt improve what is a crucial area of the field, he will fail too

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

To suggest not backing is incorrect, as I pointed out I want success so of course I wanted smith to do well but doesn’t mean I thought his appointment was right for the club at that point! As it happened my concerns about Smith were correct!

Wagner fits the tight run club better, his interview in one feels far more in line with what the club and fans want, proof will be in the performances but it feels good and hopefully the players and fans can react positive.

Wagner is under less pressure because we had Smith. Hopefully we can all work that to our advantage. Wagner already spoke about the part supporters can play. I'm glad he used the word supporters. Let's meet that challenge 💪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really excited by this appointment. Needs a few weeks to get the squad together again. Maybe a few additions and we'll see where we go. Interesting it's 12 month rolling. Could do with a Howson type midfielder now. 

Has anyone read " The Scapeweed Goat" by Frank Schaeffer?  

The ritualustic purging of all that is bad in Society by Human Sacrifice. Once the sacrifice is made the people move on, the past left behind and all is new.  A good read. 

Cautiously optimistic.

Given his Championship history, the fact he was unemployed and he has close ties with Webber he seemed the obvious and IMO, given the constraints and names thrown about, the best option.

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t get us a top 6 finish, which seems the best result right now.

I do wonder with the football if people are in for a little shock. He’s German, he’s charismatic and his teams usually play 4231, but he’s not a Farke clone. As far as I’m aware he doesn’t favour the possession based approach Farke had.

My main concern is I personally think Farke ultimately lost his job because he didn’t stand up to Webber, I don’t see Wagner addressing that.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Natural successor to Farke, although it would have been better to have kept Farke on, of course...

Would have looked so much better if Farke had been allowed to carry on until the end of his contract and moved to a bigger club if he wanted to, then made the appointment.

But, in Wagner we trust - and welcome back to German efficiency, intelligence and philosophy. 

You are 💯 right 

this was where Webber should have been looking when Farke was sacked someone who plays similar football 

not someone completely different 

37 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Thats history...what matters is now and both he and our midfield are clearly not good enough and havent been all season

As for the previous 2 managers...neither were able to improve the midfield dept, if they were continuously picking him....both were sacked

If Wagner doesnt improve what is a crucial area of the field, he will fail too

Farke didn't get sacked for his Championship performances and McLean has been one of our better players this season so your point is totally irrelevant. Not for the first time.

• Like 1

I'm optimistic over the long term. I think he's the perfect fit for us in terms of tactics and personality but it's going to take time to get his ideas across and some players in to make his system work. He did nothing in his first half a season at huddersfield much like how Farke took a whole season here. he'll be asking the players to do things they aren't used to or even necessarily suited to and it's hard to improve fitness mid season in the Championship. I just hope he gets enough results and keeps the fans and players onside for the rest of this season because I think it might be a bumpy ride initially but I'm excited to see how he transforms us over time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Farke didn't get sacked for his Championship performances and McLean has been one of our better players this season so your point is totally irrelevant. Not for the first time.

The point is hardly irrelevant when we sit 11th and 20 points behind the league leaders. What is irrelevant is what happened 2 and 4 seasons ago...Tettey played for us then too,he doesnt now , players become less effective , he has been constant in a bad midfield this season.

As for using a manager continuously picking a players as a yardstick?. You are allowed to question Dean Smith and his selections?. As it turned out he was a poor managaer for us so his decisions are quite rightly questioned resulting in your fellow XG-er picking up his P45 last week , so maybe your faith in him and all he did was misplaced?

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The point is hardly irrelevant when we sit 11th and 20 points behind the league leaders. What is irrelevant is what happened 2 and 4 seasons ago...Tettey played for us then too,he doesnt now , players become less effective , he has been constant in a bad midfield this season.

As for using a manager continuously picking a players as a yardstick?. You are allowed to question Dean Smith and his selections?. As it turned out he was a poor managaer for us so his decisions are quite rightly questioned resulting in your fellow XG-er picking up his P45 last week , so maybe your faith in him and all he did was misplaced?

I didnt have misplaced faith. I used xG to discuss performances and it went completely over your head,  assuming it meant I thought Dean Smith was consistently doing a good job.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Great, I really think Wagner will get far more out of this squad than Smith ever did and I really hope we can get our fitness and enthusiasm back to fight for a top 6 finish.

I think it’s a good fit, know each other, the championship and working on budgets, so all positives. Good luck Wagner, Webber might have gone safe but it might just be a master stroke.

Quite the opposite; everyone else seemed to have a deep personal dislike to Smith, reinforced by the prejudicial nonsense like 'his heart wasn't in it'... I mean, seriously: What an asinine opinion to have of one of the best British coaches currently around. Anyone seriously thinks he was excited to have failure on his CV? Absurd.

Still moving on, pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming positivity about Wagner's appointment. Is this a first on this forum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Quite the opposite; everyone else seemed to have a deep personal dislike to Smith, reinforced by the prejudicial nonsense like 'his heart wasn't in it'... I mean, seriously: What an asinine opinion to have of one of the best British coaches currently around. Anyone seriously thinks he was excited to have failure on his CV? Absurd.

Still moving on, pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming positivity about Wagner's appointment. Is this a first on this forum?

Best british coaches around?

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

In the end his heart wasn’t in it! The players had lost faith and he was rubbish! Best coaches around, you’re deluded!

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Comedy gold isn’t it! 😂👍

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yup. How many other active British coaches are there who've had Premier League experience, let alone successful survival seasons and Championship promotions?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

In the end his heart wasn’t in it! The players had lost faith and he was rubbish! Best coaches around, you’re deluded!

This is just bullsh1t. Smith is a high achiever. He has to be to have the CV he has. Regardless of opinions of how he did, there's absolutely no rational evidence that supports him not being motivated to succeed at Norwich. It's a stupid assertion.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

This is just bullsh1t. Smith is a high achiever. He has to be to have the CV he has. There's absolutely no rational evidence that supports him not being motivated to succeed at Norwich. It's a stupid assertion.

Oh give it a rest, he was ****e for us and got sacked…..far better manager in place now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

This is just bullsh1t. Smith is a high achiever. He has to be to have the CV he has. Regardless of opinions of how he did, there's absolutely no rational evidence that supports him not being motivated to succeed at Norwich. It's a stupid assertion.

Remind us of this CV?

Brentford only got promoted once he left and his asst Thomas Frank took over

Only got Villa up through the playoffs despite being armed with Grealish and Tammy Abraham ...at the same time we were winning the league with 94pts

If you mean keeping a team up in the Premier League for one season...Chris Hughton did that for us too

...hardly makes him Alex Ferguson

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Oh give it a rest, he was ****e for us and got sacked…..far better manager in place now.

A lot of respect for Wagner, but that's a separate subject. Smith wasn't treated fairly by fans like yourself. I don't believe you can really believe what you're saying that he didn't care, because I don't think you're that stupid.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Remind us of this CV?

Brentford only got promoted once he left and his asst Thomas Frank took over

Only got Villa up through the playoffs despite being armed with Grealish and Tammy Abraham ...at the same time we were winning the league with 94pts

If you mean keeping a team up in the Premier League for one season...Chris Hughton did that for us too

...hardly makes him Alex Ferguson

He got villa up and he kept them up. Pick holes as much as you like, it's the end result that matters, and the end result was he provided the foundation for Villa kicking on in the Premier League where Farke failed to do the same for us by a spectacular margin.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I think he's just a better educated Waveney.

• Haha 1

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

A lot of respect for Wagner, but that's a separate subject. Smith wasn't treated fairly by fans like yourself. I don't believe you can really believe what you're saying that he didn't care, because I don't think you're that stupid.

Just get over it, Smith didn’t give a ****e, he doesn’t now, if you think he’s losing any sleep over getting the bullet you’re the stupid one! It was just a job……you really are a troll at times now can you drop the dross on Smith and leave this thread to us who appreciate the change in Warner’s positive intent! We never got that from Smith.

12 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

They approached Parker after Smith was released he wasn’t interested but Wagner was always in mind. 

You have a source for that? I'm curious because Michael Bailey and other reputable journo's are saying that Wagner was always the top and likely choice of the shortlist. 

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

He got villa up and he kept them up. Pick holes as much as you like, it's the end result that matters, and the end result was he provided the foundation for Villa kicking on in the Premier League where Farke failed to do the same for us by a spectacular margin.

I'd say it was more to do with Villa having billionaire owners where we dont..

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Just get over it, Smith didn’t give a ****e, he doesn’t now, if you think he’s losing any sleep over getting the bullet you’re the stupid one! It was just a job……you really are a troll at times now can you drop the dross on Smith and leave this thread to us who appreciate the change in Warner’s positive intent! We never got that from Smith.

Look, I didn't ask you to chip in with your stupid comments about his heart not being in it. Stop insisting on stupid, baseless comments being fact and I'll stop arguing with it.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I think he's just a better educated Waveney.

I’m getting the impression he doesn’t like foreign managers! He appears to love Smith because he’s a mediocre British coach! Who knows but I’m done talking about poor history, good riddance to a very poor manager, looking forwards to a new era! Welcome Wagner good luck…….💚💛

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd say it was more to do with Villa having billionaire owners where we dont..

Teams worth the same or more as the Villa team Smith had have failed to stay up.