Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Happy 82nd Birthday To THE Living Legend.

Question of my own...

Keelan interestingly had two testimonials. 

In the second, the England captain at the time, played for the opposition. 

Name him.

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I can't remember who went in goal when he was sent off for punching Tommy Robson. I don't think we had sub goalies then. So was there a seventh? An outfield player?

Good point pops but it wasn't a goalkeeper. Have no idea who it was but will endeavour to find out.🙃

7 minutes ago, Kit said:

Question of my own...

Name him.

I think one was against Ipswich. But I'm stumped...

12 minutes ago, Kit said:

Question of my own...

Name him.

Ian Botham

And regarding his England appearance, he played in an England XI at Ipswich for Bobby Robson’s Testimonial, against an Ipswich team featuring his mate George Best. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kit said:

Correct. 1980. 

The Ipswich one was 1974. 

IMG_20230105_203152.jpg

I should have known this. I'm sure it was said this afternoon that Ron Ashman had three England captains at S****horpe...

Kevin Keegan 

Ray Clemence 

Ian Botham 

The Ipswich testimonial was the one where John Bond sent us out in Bournemouth colours 🤔

Edited by nutty nigel

50 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Who's sitting with King Kev here? (I shed a tear when he left😢)620379223_kevinkeelanhughcurran.thumb.jpg.76307caaa990a2e5130980ad49d555a7.jpg

Is that Hugh Curran.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

As a boy he was my idol. Still have a signed copy of his book. Often described as the best keeper never to be capped for England (So much so, I'm sure I remember there being a friendly arranged for him to stand between the posts for an England team- perhaps someone out there can confirm or deny that).

He played for an England XI picked by Ron Greenwood v Trevor Brooking testimonial West Ham team 77/78. Greenwood said keep the England strip , he deserved it . Maybe what you’re thinking of Horsefly ? 
In my opinion best goalkeeper we ever had . He made saves that just weren’t possible. What a character, he had such an aura . Met him with my Dad a youngster, completely tongue tied. What is indisputable , he was , and is , the coolest Cat ever for NCFC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love that Liptons advert. KK and tea ? It must have been whisky in those glasses 🙂

It’s been mentioned before but our very own Roger Gibbins is there too ( I couldn’t spot Dean Smith )

I felt sad that KK quickly left Carrow Rd to go to America after he was unexpectedly dropped following the epic 5-3 defeat by Liverpool and ‘ that ‘ Fashanu goal. After 17 years loyal service it all felt a bit rushed.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

Kevin was well before my time, but like Duncan Forbes he's one of those characters who seems to evoke incredibly strong memories in our longer-serving fans. I absolutely love these little trips down memory lane, keep them coming!

2 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

He played for an England XI picked by Ron Greenwood v Trevor Brooking testimonial West Ham team 77/78. Greenwood said keep the England strip , he deserved it . Maybe what you’re thinking of Horsefly ? 
In my opinion best goalkeeper we ever had . He made saves that just weren’t possible. What a character, he had such an aura . Met him with my Dad a youngster, completely tongue tied. What is indisputable , he was , and is , the coolest Cat ever for NCFC. 

Exactly that! Cheers Pockthorpe!

21 hours ago, horsefly said:

One thing the club has got right more often than not is its choice of keeper. Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green etc, could all put in a genuine claim for top spot. I suspect it's a bit like you favourite Doctor Who, it tends to be the one you grew up with. 

Have to agree it's Very much this! For me it's Greeno.... Always will be. 

For my Grandad (who got me into football aged 4) it was always KK.

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

20 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

His goals took me halfway to paradise 😂

It was so near, yet so far away🎵

• Like 1

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Who's sitting with King Kev here? (I shed a tear when he left😢)620379223_kevinkeelanhughcurran.thumb.jpg.76307caaa990a2e5130980ad49d555a7.jpg

Nutty. Thats a bit of a young supporters question !!!!! I saw this guy play against Ipswich in 1947. Needless to say we lost 1-5.

footballer.pdf

4 minutes ago, vos said:

Nutty. Thats a bit of a young supporters question !!!!! I saw this guy play against Ipswich in 1947. Needless to say we lost 1-5.

footballer.pdfUnavailable

I will try again !!!

21 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

My dad's favourite player. Remember being stood on a small stool (that my father had made for me so I was the same height as him🙂) for my first game in the old South Stand - and him mentioning excitedly to me that Curran would be playing. Strange what kind of (relatively insignificant and random) things we recall from our young days. It was the 1970 to 71 team though that I recall much better because that's when I became a regular fan for home games. It began well for me with promotion to the first division in my first season. It now makes me understand just how powerful such an experience is for other new (and young) supporters. And I recall it was the first time that adults could actually show care for youngsters by letting you go down to the front of the crowd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Watch this Hughie worldie

All goals scored by players who played for NCFC at some point.

12 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

How many keepers have played for Norwich and England?

I can think of 4?

Woods, Green, Ruddy and...

Corrigan?