How I Wrote Elastic Man

Alex Fletcher of Bath City in critical condition

I have thought for a while that advertising and boards next to the pitch have looked dangerous,more so in bad conditions and players go skidding and flying into them at speed. Nasty stuff. Heres hoping he makes a full and good recovery. Anybody remember that time we had a player fall down that camera hole or pitt or whatever it was at carrow road during a match? Rather lucky that did not end up being a serious injury

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I have thought for a while that advertising and boards next to the pitch have looked dangerous,more so in bad conditions and players go skidding and flying into them at speed. Nasty stuff. Heres hoping he makes a full and good recovery. Anybody remember that time we had a player fall down that camera hole or pitt or whatever it was at carrow road during a match? Rather lucky that did not end up being a serious injury

Remember when Russell Martin fell down the Pitt at Kenilworth road, luckily he was ok and it was the norwich end! 

best wishes to the bath lad 

In a “normal” business our pitch would be deemed unsafe and the Health and Safety people would probably fine us or close us down.

Players running to the byline at break neck speed with hardly any stopping distance and treacherous pits to fall into. Like I say, this wouldn’t be allowed outside of football.

Perhaps we should ban running 😀

Shoulder charges on the touchline need to be looked at. There have been a few near misses, more recently involving Max.

Best wishes to the lad, hope he recovers.

18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If I remember correctly, the incident to which you are referring is when Bennett barged an Arsenal player into that camera dugout.

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Shoulder charges on the touchline need to be looked at. There have been a few near misses, more recently involving Max.

Best wishes to the lad, hope he recovers.

Yeah, I’ve never understood why they aren’t considered as fouls and yellow-card worthy, they are potentially dangerous.

On 10/11/2022 at 19:19, Jambomo said:

Yeah, I’ve never understood why they aren’t considered as fouls and yellow-card worthy, they are potentially dangerous.

Because you can't take a free kick from row4.

We see quite regularly players near the sideline that are aggressively barged off the pitch, in situations where they could injure themselves badly.  It needs to be recognised and concrete barriers should have padding on them and any fencing have it's top rail padded. 

I remember a pre-season friendly, can't remember where, assume it must have been Germany - where there was literally a concrete wall about hip high less than a couple of yards off the pitch. In today's health and safety crazy world, it's amazing they expect players to run at full pelt and then have advertising hoardings just a few feet off the pitch. 

Agree about the challenges towards the edge of the pitch, they should absolutely be treated as excessive force/violent conduct. In the cast of Alex, it was an innocuous challenge really and instead the blame lays on the design of the pitch/ground

Can you make these electronic pitch surrounding advertising hoardings just one metre in from the perimeter fencing out of rubber?  Hmmmm.

Alex Fletcher came on as an 85th-minute sub for Bath City in their 3-1 National League south home win over Hampton and Richmond Borough on Saturday, August 26, then was an unused sub in the 2-0 win at St Albans City on Bank Holiday Monday as he was again in Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Havant and Waterlooville. He’s back in football after a medical all-clear and following his fight for fitness. While the human response might be to hold a healthy fear for his well-being it’s worth remembering that it was his desire to play again which inspired him and he seems to be a realist who knows he has a way to go to get back to where he was. Can only wish the lad well. Health and happiness to you Alec.

• Like 10

On 12/11/2022 at 04:51, CDMullins said:

Because you can't take a free kick from row4.

You can be booked whilst off the pitch though.