Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

First Sutton, now Dublin

How many more ex players are going to trot out the “give Smith more time” line!

Maybe if they got out of their cosy TV studios and went to Carrow Road for a few games they would understand more why the fans are turning on Smith, the football is total and utter dross under Smith.

Stick to what you do best you two and chat rubbish at the BBC about the Premier League!

Is it off their own backs or is the club wheeling out the golden oldies to try and calm the reactions incoming in the stands (besides the odd one or two) 

I doubt it is a coordinated campaign from the club- much more likely that ex players will generally defend their own in these circumstances. Much more unusual to see an ex player openly say a manager should be fired, especially a British manager who they may have some pre-existing personal relationship with.

• Like 5

Couldn't care less which ex-players come out and jump on the "give Smith more time bandwagon".  Everyone is entitled to their opinion as I am mine.....

SMITH OUT NOW

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well, Chris Sutton normally says what he likes and I've never seen him as one to be shy of being critical...

I'd highlight this part from my earlier post...

1 hour ago, king canary said:

especially a British manager who they may have some pre-existing personal relationship with.

I'd be surprised if Sutton had heard of Farke before he joined, let alone knew him. On the flip side I wouldn't be surprised if he knows Smith personally considering they were players in the same period and both have Aston Villa connections. 

12 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Either way it doesn't suggest Sutton is wheeled out by the club Kingo.

Oh yeah totally agree. No sinister conspiracy at work here.

• Like 1

Take Nutty's point about Sutton's free-thinking, but in general I think @king canary is right - ex-players don't often call for coaches to lose their jobs, and probably for the reason you suggest. 

I remember being very struck by Lineker attacking the sacking of Hughton as being premature when any reasonable interpretation of the situation was that it was left too late. They were team-mates at Spurs and so it's only natural for Lineker to support his mate, not least because everyone thinks Hughton is a lovely bloke, but basically I think you can take these pundits' opinions with a pinch of salt.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Take Nutty's point about Sutton's free-thinking, but in general I think @king canary is right - ex-players don't often call for coaches to lose their jobs, and probably for the reason you suggest. 

I remember being very struck by Lineker attacking the sacking of Hughton as being premature when any reasonable interpretation of the situation was that it was left too late. They were team-mates at Spurs and so it's only natural for Lineker to support his mate, not least because everyone thinks Hughton is a lovely bloke, but basically I think you can take these pundits' opinions with a pinch of salt.

There are quite a few British managers with a lot of mates in the media and it shows- remember when Steve Bruce got touted for the Man U job by a few media people when they were looking for a short term fill in?

Mick McCarthy is another.

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

remember when Steve Bruce got touted for the Man U job by a few media people when they were looking for a short term fill in?

LOL.

Though, to be fair, had I been a pundit I'd have been recommending Paul Lambert.

You can kind of see why Dion didn't go into management:

"You’ve got to sometimes have a chat with each other. You’ve got to be man enough to say to each other: ‘I need more from you. When that happens, you’ve got to do that, when I go there, you’ve got to do that.’"

Chris Sutton makes a living out of saying things that are designed to provoke reaction and wind people up, he's a master at it.

I wonder how many times Dion Dublin has seen us play this season, doubt he'd need to use a second hand to count them on his fingers, so he can mind his own business.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Chris Sutton makes a living out of saying things that are designed to provoke reaction and wind people up, he's a master at it.

Your mentor? 🙃

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Couldn't care less which ex-players come out and jump on the "give Smith more time bandwagon".  Everyone is entitled to their opinion as I am mine.....

SMITH OUT NOW

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I set more credence by those who have worked professionally in the game for many years than a poster on the Pink Un.

Doesn’t mean I agree with them mind, but this “I have an opinion therefore it’s automatically valid” nonsense gets my goat.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I set more credence by those who have worked professionally in the game for many years than a poster on the Pink Un.

Doesn’t mean I agree with them mind, but this “I have an opinion therefore it’s automatically valid” nonsense gets my goat.

Where have I said automatically valid? It's an opinion. Like an ar$ehole, everyone has one

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Blimey. Why on earth do you come to this forum then?

I’ll tell you why I come here. I like reading other opinions and perspectives because just occasionally people make a good point that I didn’t consider. Even from people who might never have kicked a football!

Equally, people who have played the game are known to make incredibly shortsighted and I researched comments.

When it comes to opinions about Norwich, Norwich fans are probably better placed than some disgruntled ex-pro that doesn’t know the club.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Canary Jedi said:

I’ll tell you why I come here. I like reading other opinions and perspectives because just occasionally people make a good point that I didn’t consider. Even from people who might never have kicked a football!

Equally, people who have played the game are known to make incredibly shortsighted and I researched comments.

When it comes to opinions about Norwich, Norwich fans are probably better placed than some disgruntled ex-pro that doesn’t know the club.

Well said. I've followed Norwich for over 40 years, seen some highs, seen some lows. Haven't seen such a lack of identity, style, formation and leadership though since the dark days of Roeder, and it isn’t getting better. We are where we are in the leaguebecause the overall standard is abysmal.

I'd like to think that any ardent follower of the club is as wise, if not more so than someone who happens to have played the game.

• Like 1

Nick Ma****er and the Villa fans on Twitter too. Pretty much starting to dislike anybody from the midlands or with a midlands connections right now.

The more who come out to defend Smith the greater the pressure heaped on him.  Just need the Management to give vote of Confidence to be sure he's off.  

33 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Where have I said automatically valid? It's an opinion. Like an ar$ehole, everyone has one

Everyone opinion is “valid” but obviously some are better informed than others. Some may give the likes of Sutton or Dion extra weight because they’ve played the game, others would give more weight to the opinions of those who have watched us week in week out over the last 50 games.

Personally I’d go with the latter. I’ve never agreed with the view that ex players opinions on matters are automatically more valid than fans. Maybe on some technical elements of the game yes but many fans are significantly more intelligent than most ex players and have watched or played the game enough to know what they are talking about. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

TBF you didn’t, maybe I should have made that point in my post. However, I’ve lost count of the number of times people have a counter-argument put to their post and come back with “it’s my opinion, I’m entitled to it”. Having an opinion doesn’t make you immune to debate.

29 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

I come on here for the same thing. I benefit from reading the opinion of others. I in no way claim to be knowledgeable about football, I’m just a Norwich City supporter who wants to discuss the club. But if someone makes an incorrect or stupid point, I will sometimes point that out. That’s how discussion forums (are supposed to) work.

29 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Absolutely, there are some spectacularly ill-informed and thoughtless pundits. But of all the ex-pros out there, I don’t think not knowing the club is something you can accuse Sutton or Dublin of. Norwich fans view their club passionately through yellow and green glasses, so it could be argued they’re hardly qualified to give an unbiased , logical view either.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

TBF you didn’t, maybe I should have made that point in my post. However, I’ve lost count of the number of times people have a counter-argument put to their post and come back with “it’s my opinion, I’m entitled to it”. Having an opinion doesn’t make you immune to debate.

I come on here for the same thing. I benefit from reading the opinion of others. I in no way claim to be knowledgeable about football, I’m just a Norwich City supporter who wants to discuss the club. But if someone makes an incorrect or stupid point, I will sometimes point that out. That’s how discussion forums (are supposed to) work.

Absolutely, there are some spectacularly ill-informed and thoughtless pundits. But of all the ex-pros out there, I don’t think not knowing the club is something you can accuse Sutton or Dublin of. Norwich fans view their club passionately through yellow and green glasses, so it could be argued they’re hardly qualified to give an unbiased , logical view either.

I completely agree with you to a point regarding yellow and green glasses. I only want the club to succeed. I'll admit that I wasn't thrilled with Smith's appointment but like everyone else was prepared to give time to see what transpired. And what has transpired is turgid, shambolic and at times chaotic football and formations on the pitch and decisions. To provide an example, I thought Cantwell was one of our better players on Tuesday. Was substituted, not injured as far as i could tell. So why was he substituted when players like Nunez I'd actually forgotten were playing. We have some talented players who look like they don't have a clue when they get out on the pitch and that's down to the coaching staff. So FWIW.....

SMITH OUT NOW