Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Gerrard

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

To be fair to Gerrard, he’s not that bad, but he’s way to expensive to have here, along with Lamps just not what we need, yes it’s funny how the same suspects fall for a little fun, if we were to change I’d want an up a coming young manager from this league, someone on the up not failing like Smith or Gerrard! We rightly sacked Farke and made a mistake by not appointing someone with a winning record, poaching a successful manager.

The stand out candidate for us would be Scott Parker. He’s a manager with 2 recent championship promotions on his cv with teams that scored lots of goals and played good football. 

15 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

The stand out candidate for us would be Scott Parker. He’s a manager with 2 recent championship promotions on his cv with teams that scored lots of goals and played good football. 

No, I couldn't take the jumpers..

32 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

No wink emoji, so you haven’t read about how unpopular he was at both his recent ex clubs or seen how well Bournemouth have done since he left.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

No wink emoji, so you haven’t read about how unpopular he was at both his recent ex clubs or seen how well Bournemouth have done since he left.

We all know how tough the premier league is. Not many managers are remembered fondly by ex clubs. If it’s a manager we want who’s got a clear capable track record of getting out of the league we are in he’s the stand out candidate. Short of Bielsa who I feel is not a realistic target and a pipe dream. 

Villa job has always seemed a bit cursed.  Plenty of money, great stadium, plenty of history... But they seem to reach a point and it all turns to ****.  One of those teams who you wouldn't be overly surprised if they got into europe, or got relegated this season.

Scott Parker left Bournemouth because they didn’t spend any money he is not going to pitch here.

Gerrard seemed to be a victim of the Villa board who see them as a top 6 side in waiting. Not helped by his two big summer signing getting injured early on. 

Gerrard demotivated most of the players, questionable tactics and formations, absolute turgid displays and a dour demeanour.

Reminds me of someone 😜

He's not been there long and not given much chance  but totally the right decision to sack him.

11 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If Smith went back to Villa then Emi would likely be playing for Villa, seeing as it was Smith who brought him there in the first place. 

I knew there would be a **** in my plan, but I think I would of got away with it if it hadn't been for you pesky kids 

• Haha 1

Gerrard - demonstrably worse than Smith on pretty much every level of management at Premier League, with an extra £100m invested. Inevitable he would get the sack.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Well b back said:

Davis is the Wolves manager on a contract until 2023.

Still the interim coach and they are still searching for their new permanent manager.

Apparently waiting for after the World Cup, which suggests to me that their number 1 choice is managing an International side at the minute.

16 hours ago, hogesar said:

He was a good fit there, the Villa connection obviously aside. I cant see their owners going back though.

Thomas Frank being linked though.

Which would leave a vacancy at Brentford...

.... where Dean Smith is very highly thought of.

We can dream. Or, rather, I can dream, and you can be a bit gutted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Haha, I wouldn't be gutted. Well, it would depend on the replacement I guess.

15 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Really hope someone comes in for him then we actually get money for the useless sack of crap rather than having to pay him off.

Maybe things are starting to look up 

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Found this BBC headline curious:

Steven Gerrard sacked: Aston Villa manager 'undermined by results' (and performances)

I would have gotten away with it if it werent for you pesky results!

Probably doing okay under Xg? 😉

6 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Scott Parker left Bournemouth because they didn’t spend any money he is not going to pitch here.

Gerrard seemed to be a victim of the Villa board who see them as a top 6 side in waiting. Not helped by his two big summer signing getting injured early on. 

Really good footballers seldom make good managers or coaches. Maybe they are trying to get average players to do stuff they used to be able to do but average players can't. Like pass to a teammate, in our case.

Most of the good managers were jouneymen footballers themselves.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

Really good footballers seldom make good managers or coaches. Maybe they are trying to get average players to do stuff they used to be able to do but average players can't. Like pass to a teammate, in our case.

Most of the good managers were jouneymen footballers themselves.

You enter at a decent level by having been a great footballer. You instantly command respect, your players know you know where you're coming from, you're likely to have worked with the elite as well, and seen how top managers operate.

From then onwards however, the skills set is very different. I dont know why clubs keep making this mistake. None so than when we appointed Bryan Gunn

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

You enter at a decent level by having been a great footballer. You instantly command respect, your players know you know where you're coming from, you're likely to have worked with the elite as well, and seen how top managers operate.

From then onwards however, the skills set is very different. I dont know why clubs keep making this mistake. None so than when we appointed Bryan Gunn

On the Bryan Gunn matter, it was mentioned on another thread the 7 goal thrashing on the opening day of League 1.

That has to come down to the manager surely? I imagine this freak result simply came down to the players being poorly prepared - not enough in pre-season fitness-wise, organisation or tactics-wise, just an amateurish outing, which comes from having an amateur manager running the show.

I idolised Bryan Gunn as a kid (though in hindsight I question whether he was actually that good by today's standards? - Controversial I know, and I firmly believe (always have) that we only got relegated that first time around because of his injury, which had a profound negative influence on the fortunes of the club right up to this day) but he should never have been put in that position. Probably the worst managerial appointment since the previous ex-player we hired in Peter Grant.

It goesto show how poor Sottish football is. Huge success at Rangers and thenna flop at Villa. His hpoes of managing Liverpool have just gone up in a cloud of smoke. Still it’s a few more millions of £ in the bank.

Please someone give him another job quick. I don't want to hear his whiny voice on TV or radio.

His best bet would be go begging to Liverpool. Work as a coach there for 5 years or so. Once two post klopp managers have failed he'll get a chance at the big job. That's if klopp will have him

Already seems like the right decision, Villa 3 up today already. 

Hopefully we'll make a similarly wise decision soon too. 

• Like 1