Sign in to follow this  
Robert N. LiM

The GOAT speaks

Had this been another player with these comments might raise an eyebrow, but from a player that’s given us so much and may be our best ever striker it’s more than justified. For the fee we’d get in the summer he’s worth more to us to keep him here.

Almost certainly off in the summer which puts us back in the position of relying on a player in the champs that we won’t have in the prem (I.e. emi, Skipp). 

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sad to hear he want's out but you can't really blame him.. Safe to say he's done all he can with us

Well he's hasn't because he could fire us to another promotion. If he gets 15 more this season he will equal Iwan's 96 in third place.

As for the future I think we need to be in contention in January and another promotion could see him sign longer unless another prem team offers more. No promotion and it looks like he's definitely gone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sad to hear he want's out but you can't really blame him.. Safe to say he's done all he can with us

I interpreted this really as him feeling he's paid his dues in the Championship and showed that he was worthy of staying in the Premier League, and he is 100% correct.

I wouldn't consider a contract extension to outside the realms of possibility if we're a Premier League side next season, with a £0 release clause if we get relegated again, but I do fear that we get promoted and he leaves for another Premier League side, be sh*t that.

Its certain that we need to win promotion this season to have any chance of keeping him though isn't it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

As for the future I think we need to be in contention in January and another promotion could see him sign longer unless another prem team offers more. 

I don't fear the financial aspect at all, I'm sure the £50k a week he earns here when we're in the top fight is about what other sides would consider his market value in terms of wages, my fear is that he might fancy a Prem side on 2 year contract which is less likely to see him relegated again.

If I were him I'd value 2 years of Premier League football at the end of his career than getting to 3rd in our top scorers list, if he had a possibility of 1st in the top scorers list that would be a different scenario.

I think he'd nail down the number 9 spot in several teams, Southampton for a start, but also Leeds always seem to be a striker short and Bamford can't stay fit. 

Nobody met our asking price, but I bet Everton were sniffing around, they were desperate for strikers.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

I do wonder whether a team like us, for whom 17th in the PL would be a major success, needs a striker who can score more than one type of goal. I love Teemu to bits and actually think he's still a bit underrated by our fans, if anything, but he's never going to be a threat from set-pieces or crosses, which might be a more valuable source of goals for a struggling team that's likely to have less possession than the opposition. We need to be planning the succession, is essentially what I'm saying. Would be so great if he could get to 100 goals this season. Bit of a tall order, but not impossible.

"City's striker admitted he was hoping for a fresh challenge away for Carrow Road"

He wanted to move the stadium?  Gotta love the pinkun! 🙂

Interesting how he was gunning for a move to a prem league club, wonder who showed interest - was it a promoted side? Someone more established?

This fills in some of the gaps on what Smith said at the end of the window too, in regards to players knowing they're here until at least January.  This clearly applied to at least Pukki.

Really appreciate his honesty in this interview though, well done whoever got him to open up on that side of things.

13 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I do wonder whether a team like us, for whom 17th in the PL would be a major success, needs a striker who can score more than one type of goal. I love Teemu to bits and actually think he's still a bit underrated by our fans, if anything, but he's never going to be a threat from set-pieces or crosses, which might be a more valuable source of goals for a struggling team that's likely to have less possession than the opposition. We need to be planning the succession, is essentially what I'm saying. Would be so great if he could get to 100 goals this season. Bit of a tall order, but not impossible.

The most heartening game of last season was Everton when we had Pukki Idah and Sargent in the team. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Is it a tall order? He averages 27.5 goals a season in the Championship and only needs to get 22 to get 100 Norwich goals. And on the last two games, he's not lost too much on the Pukki of previous seasons.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Interesting how he was gunning for a move to a prem league club, wonder who showed interest - was it a promoted side? Someone more established?

I would bet my last pound that Everton would have been one of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The most heartening game of last season was Everton when we had Pukki Idah and Sargent in the team. 

Yeah,  we looked a real handful that day. 

38 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Is it a tall order? He averages 27.5 goals a season in the Championship and only needs to get 22 to get 100 Norwich goals. And on the last two games, he's not lost too much on the Pukki of previous seasons.

He can certainly do it. But he's two years older than last time, I think we all agree this isn't as good a team and he'll have to stay fit. If you asked me now, I'd say he'll fall a few goals short. But expect Sargent and Idah to make up the shortfall in comparison to previous seasons.

45 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yes, the goal where Brandon Williams surged forward and actually had two options in front of him was quite a moment!

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Well he's hasn't because he could fire us to another promotion. If he gets 15 more this season he will equal Iwan's 96 in third place.

As for the future I think we need to be in contention in January and another promotion could see him sign longer unless another prem team offers more. No promotion and it looks like he's definitely gone.

Promotion or not I think Teemu will go end of the season, one final challenge 

A great mix of honesty , and an acceptance by a pro of how the professional game actually works . The bid didn’t come in , and him (and apparently his agent ) were realistic 

Can’t help but think this sort of acceptance must rub off on players like Todd , who at times doesn’t seem to quite understand how things work 

Teemu is a wonderful professional and wanted to stay in the prem believing he was good enough. No one sensible would blame him for wanting that . But he honours his contract which is to be applauded . Teemu and his advisors could have agitated his way out of city (or into the reserves) 

15 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

A great mix of honesty , and an acceptance by a pro of how the professional game actually works . The bid didn’t come in , and him (and apparently his agent ) were realistic 

Can’t help but think this sort of acceptance must rub off on players like Todd , who at times doesn’t seem to quite understand how things work 

Teemu is a wonderful professional and wanted to stay in the prem believing he was good enough. No one sensible would blame him for wanting that . But he honours his contract which is to be applauded . Teemu and his advisors could have agitated his way out of city (or into the reserves) 

Exactly , he could of downed tools and made it hard for the club but got on with his job and accepted the outcome 

i think it maybe hard to keep him in the summer but if we go up he may stay 

• Like 1

I do feel for him. He's proven he is good enough for the PL and he's at an age where he probably thought a move would be his last chance at another season in a top division first xi.

Really glad he has stayed professional and not tried to force a move through.

There's nothing unusual about what he said. As @Parma Ham's gone mouldy says: all players always want to move; particularly when that means a new signing on fee and a pay rise. And of course we weren't going to let him go without a silly money bid. How could we possibly replace him?

Obviously we'll see where we are in January. Hopefully we can offer him a new con then, otherwise he'll likely leave on a free. 

• Like 1

I suppose it's encouraging Teemu says "now I'm focusing on this season" rather than "lets see what happens in January". Obviously unless we are promoted there is little chance he will be here next season and even if we are he might not fancy another relegation battle.

He has been wonderful for us. He owes us nothing and now has to think about what future he has. Would he really want to stay with us even if we go up? Our history in the EPL hasn't put him the big shop window as neither has his age. Maybe one last fling on the continent might suit him better apart from maybe the wages.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

There's nothing unusual about what he said. As @Parma Ham's gone mouldy says: all players always want to move; particularly when that means a new signing on fee and a pay rise. And of course we weren't going to let him go without a silly money bid. How could we possibly replace him?

Obviously we'll see where we are in January. Hopefully we can offer him a new con then, otherwise he'll likely leave on a free. 

Yes I just can’t understand it @Petriix @Monty13….…

…how could we conceivably keep a player under contract that ‘wanted to leave’??

Surely ‘he must be shown the door’ ?

Like Buendia?

……oh…….🤗…..football eh?…..🤣

Parma 

• Haha 1

Teemu is probably the Norwich player I have felt closest to in my life. Not just for his goals and for what he does on the pitch, but for his whole attitude - a modesty and a grounded attitude that is rare in modern football.

His language suggests to me that he is going at the end of the season. It will be a sad day.

I just hope he can get to 100 goals before he goes.

• Like 1