Basel_NCFC

Sarge - world cup impact?

Assuming Sarge makes the USA world cup squad,  does anyone know when the squads are submitted? Guess we are going to face at least 6 weeks without him? 

The season pauses on Nov 12th and resumes on Dec 10th.

I expect players who were involved with the world cup may be given a bit more time but it could depend on how much they played, hopefully the USMNT will be leaving after the group stage.

If called up and the US get to the Sf/final we could miss him for 2 weeks I guess depending when the squad get together pre tournament.

World cup I think is between Nov 20-dec 18 

Championship pause is Nov 13-dec 9 

26 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

The Championship season is paused for the world cup (same as the Prem I think), so it shouldn't be an issue. 

Oh I did wonder if the championship would be paused also? I had thought a team needed to have 2 or 3 players called up? 

2 minutes ago, Basel_NCFC said:

Oh I did wonder if the championship would be paused also? I had thought a team needed to have 2 or 3 players called up? 

Nope, just complete pause for the division. League 1 and below carry on as normal though.

Ridiculous to have it in Qatar for logistical reasons, before you even get into the human right abuses and dodgy bidding process, but there you go.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Still it is a very good chance to get some non-league games in, proper football!

Games outside the EPL / top flight? 

Why would you want to do that? 😉 

1 hour ago, glory.win or die. said:

If called up and the US get to the Sf/final we could miss him for 2 weeks I guess depending when the squad get together pre tournament.

World cup I think is between Nov 20-dec 18 

Championship pause is Nov 13-dec 9 

It’s not really very likely that the USA will get to the semi-final or anywhere near it!!

16 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Games outside the EPL / top flight? 

Why would you want to do that? 😉 

Hmm, so you can have a pint AND watch the game mainly! 🍻 🙂 

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Hmm, so you can have a pint AND watch the game mainly! 🍻 🙂 

im in! 

• Like 1

USA are in the same group as Wales and England. They also have an interesting encounter against Iran! Should be a few bruises!

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

It’s not really very likely that the USA will get to the semi-final or anywhere near it!!

But assume he might need a llttle time to recover post group games? 

The Championship restarts on the same weekend that the World Cup quarter finals take place, so there is a small overlap.

However, Sargent hasn't been called up this calendar year, so unless he hits some seriously blistering form over the next month or two then he may have left it too late.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

USA are in the same group as Wales and England. They also have an interesting encounter against Iran! Should be a few bruises!

He better not get crocked by that clogger Harry Maguire.

11 hours ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Nope, just complete pause for the division. League 1 and below carry on as normal though.

Ridiculous to have it in Qatar for logistical reasons, before you even get into the human right abuses and dodgy bidding process, but there you go.

its probably even more ridiculous than you realise - in fact i think i'm going to have to start a new thread on the subject "How to measure temperatures"

Off the top of my head, it doesn't seem to me that (possibly) Sargent apart, City have any players involved in the world cup finals.

At one time we seemed to have a whole host of players on our books, admittedly playing for some of the less fancied countries, who had international commitments. The qualifiers seem to have weeded these teams out. 

Neither Scotland (McClean, Hanley) nor Finland (Pukki) will be there for a start. Neither will Ireland (Omo, Idah.) 

Tim Krul might be called upon for the Dutch squad, but are there any others?

This cannot be a bad thing. Rest and recuperation being on the cards. The idea of a friendly being arranged is sound. 

A good thing for the squad, but what about our rivals. Do Watford, for example, lose many?

6 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Speaking of Sargent, the Leeds fans are going nuts in reply to this tweet:

Jesus they're a weird bunch. For a supposedly massive team they really are insecure...

Also, I thought their motto was "marching on together", this is just something one of their players said 57 years ago.

Edited by cornish sam

21 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Jesus they're a weird bunch. For a supposedly massive team they really are insecure...

Also, I thought their motto was "marching on together", this is just something one of their players said 57 years ago.

Tbf if lufc had come out with 'On The Ball United' or somesuch, we would be having our fun with it. Fair play to them, even if they are Leeds

If Sargent can keep up his current form he will be in the squad. He was dropped recently and rightfully so but so far this season we've definitely seen an improved player

3 hours ago, Green Canary said:

Tbf if lufc had come out with 'On The Ball United' or somesuch, we would be having our fun with it. Fair play to them, even if they are Leeds

But on the ball city is our equivalent of marching on together or you'll never walk alone, this is just a quote from their captain over half a century ago...

Sargent is still behind Jesus Ferreira, 16 goals and 5 assists in 26 starts in MLS and Jordan Pefok 2 goals in 4 starts for Union Berlin. Both have performed better for USA. I think Josh will make the final 26 but unless he keeps scoring AND does well in September friendlies he will just have great seats for Qatar

Edited by Bakerkd
  • Thanks 1