Dean Coneys boots

Has Nunez upset the pinkun?

15 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Also Gibbs was better than a six people saying 

Not sure on that, he looked tidy but he made a couple of big mistakes which on another day would have been punished.  Solid performance for his full league debut and with experience those mistakes will hopefully get cut out.

• Like 1

Ratings mean nothing. They are a personal rating. I thought Todd was excellent last night, others were calling for him to come off as he was doing nothing. Some people only watch when we are attacking obviously.

• Like 1

Nunez had some great moments but also got caught holding onto the ball too long on several occasions, surrendering possession in our own half. 6 feels a little harsh, but not by much.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I thought Todd was excellent last night, others were calling for him to come off as he was doing nothing.

Agreed, he was working hard chasing them down when we didn't have the ball.  Top work, and was great to see.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Today’s player ratings gives Nunez a 6. He was awesome last night - some tidy passes, ran everywhere, went close. Seems very harsh to me. 

They gave him an 8 against Hull. 

I think 6 is harsh but he tried a bit to hard at times and some of his long range passing was poor. When he kept it on the deck and moved shorter balls quickly he looked much better and had some sublime little touches.

He gave Dowell 8, Cantwell 7 and Nunez 6.

I think personally they got the order right but 7s across the board would have been fairer. It’s entirely subjective though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

They gave him an 8 against Hull. 

I think 6 is harsh but he tried a bit to hard at times and some of his long range passing was poor. When he kept it on the deck and moved shorter balls quickly he looked much better and had some sublime little touches.

He gave Dowell 8, Cantwell 7 and Nunez 6.

I think personally they got the order right but 7s across the board would have been fairer. It’s entirely subjective though.

No doubt because he scored.

I agree and never pay much attention to these player rating things as they are completely subjective. Personally I'd have given him a 7, no better or worse of anyone else on the pitch 

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I thought the same. According to their ratings he was the worst of our starting players. No chance, they must have been watching a different game. 

Er........like so many on here.........their opinions were probably based on watching the match on Radio Norfolk 🙄

From my seat in the River End I saw Cantwell contribute a whole lot more than Dowell. If pushed into silly ratings game I would have said Cantwell 8 and Dowell 6. And if I was to rate Grant Hanley I would have given him a 4, he backtracked with Jones ( their scorer) from the half way line to the middle of the penalty area without making a challenge allowing Jones to turn him inside out to score their goal. A challenge has to be attempted at some stage. But just my view from my seat.

Edited by kenfoggo

Just now, kenfoggo said:

From my seat in the River End I saw Cantwell contribute a whole lot more than Dowell. If pushed into silly ratings game I would have said Cantwell 8 and Dowell 6. But just my view from my seat.

At the ground I felt like Dowell was quite anonymous, but watching the highlights he did seem like he was much more involved. I think Dowell was just doing the simple stuff playing quick neat passes and progressing us forward.

Nunez had some nice touches for sure but I felt he was maybe trying a little too hard at times and faded a bit towards the end. In contrast Cantwell seemed much more physical and covered a lot of ground. I'd have rated all three a 7 I think.

12 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

Not sure on that, he looked tidy but he made a couple of big mistakes which on another day would have been punished.  Solid performance for his full league debut and with experience those mistakes will hopefully get cut out.

93% pass success rate though... that's some doing. 

Paddy is notoriously miserly with his ratings

There's been a niche opinion in the fanbase for a while that Dowell is capable of going on to become a secret weapon for us, of which I'm a proponent. Got a wonderful understanding of where everyone is and what pass to make, when. Pretty high conversion rate when faced with goal too.

It's only one win, capitulate Friday and the mood changes again. But certainly when we were on top some of the stuff we were playing was just great. Real plus point for me was the punchy, one-touch passing we would string together at times- signs of growing confidence 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

From my seat in the River End I saw Cantwell contribute a whole lot more than Dowell. If pushed into silly ratings game I would have said Cantwell 8 and Dowell 6. And if I was to rate Grant Hanley I would have given him a 4, he backtracked with Jones ( their scorer) from the half way line to the middle of the penalty area without making a challenge allowing Jones to turn him inside out to score their goal. A challenge has to be attempted at some stage. But just my view from my seat.

I've seen a couple of people suggest this, but it actually isn't true. Jones didn't receive the ball until he was around 30yrds out at most.

The replay, to me, seems to highlight the defence as a whole, being an issue. Aarons has let his many get goal side of him, this in turn means Omobamidele is caught between covering the right and closing the gap between him and Hanley. As a result, enough space is created between them and Omobamidele doesn't tell Hanley to close/commit. Jones spots that and the opportunity of a cut inside and shoot.

This is just after Jones has received the ball. 

It doesn't look like a lot, but when you look at that last picture, just before he pulls the trigger, Omabamidele realises he is too far over and tries to get across. It's not his fault, but you can also see that Hanley is pretty isolated there. In a defensive picture where you have the 3v2 advantage, you are not wanting to give a 1v1 to the opposition.

Ideally, the extra player is in-between the two other defenders marking men, ideally closer to the one contenting with the player with the ball. If the ball is passed you can move over again.

One or two steps over and Omabamidele blocks or intercepts the shot. Even better, Jones doesn't feel  that cutting inside to make space for a shot is on and goes down the outside, or turns back to find another player etc.

Aarons doesn't help as you can see, his man has gotten inside of him which means he would have to go across him to make a tackle or interception which is much harder and runs the risk of a foul. McLean is well out of position there and doesn't close the distance to help, or can't... 

43 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Paddy is notoriously miserly with his ratings

There's been a niche opinion in the fanbase for a while that Dowell is capable of going on to become a secret weapon for us, of which I'm a proponent. Got a wonderful understanding of where everyone is and what pass to make, when. Pretty high conversion rate when faced with goal too.

It's only one win, capitulate Friday and the mood changes again. But certainly when we were on top some of the stuff we were playing was just great. Real plus point for me was the punchy, one-touch passing we would string together at times- signs of growing confidence 

I said this after the cup game and I do wonder if it's a factor - any mileage in suggesting that we are playing a bit better with players who either weren't involved last season for us or who were involved minimally?

That game we mainly saw players who had been sent out on loan for the entirety of last season, youngsters who were barely used/involved or "squad" players that were less involved in starting line ups on a regular basis.  Really only Hanley and Dowell with Sorensen and Gunn featuring too but probably not as much. To me it felt more positive in play too.

I think you see it with Nunez. That combined with the enthusiasm of Sargent to prove himself I think could be what has helped to get the performances and statistics looking better. Gibbs, for example, is playing like he has nothing to lose, and everything to play for. He's not bothered about what happened last season, he wants to be a regular starter this season. 

The amazing thing about Gibbs was his energy levels. He's only 19, worked hard all night, and never flagged. One for the oldies - he reminds me ever so much of Brian Talbot, the old Ipswich and Arsenal (and sometime England) midfielder. Horrible player to play against because of his work rate.

Based on first half performance, Nunez was my man of the match because of his balance and quick feet. He also has the suprise factor as no one over here has played against him before. Overall MoM probably Max.

Loved Onel's contribution, as well. Terrified the Terriers.

7 hours ago, chicken said:

I said this after the cup game and I do wonder if it's a factor - any mileage in suggesting that we are playing a bit better with players who either weren't involved last season for us or who were involved minimally?

That game we mainly saw players who had been sent out on loan for the entirety of last season, youngsters who were barely used/involved or "squad" players that were less involved in starting line ups on a regular basis.  Really only Hanley and Dowell with Sorensen and Gunn featuring too but probably not as much. To me it felt more positive in play too.

I think you see it with Nunez. That combined with the enthusiasm of Sargent to prove himself I think could be what has helped to get the performances and statistics looking better. Gibbs, for example, is playing like he has nothing to lose, and everything to play for. He's not bothered about what happened last season, he wants to be a regular starter this season. 

I agree, I think I said similar after the Birmingham game. If you look at the players people feel are doing well, they're generally not players that played the whole year last season. Gibbs, Sinani, Nunez, McCallum (before injury) in particular with special mentions to Hernandez, Cantwell and even Hugill to an extent. Relegation hangovers are real.

The only exception I would say is Aarons, who to the eye-test and statistically looks back to his influential best