Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Onel Hernandez

16 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Because Rashica did sweet FA last season, albeit in the EPL. And Cantwell, is he a “winger” in the traditional sense? I’d argue he looks better in a more central role.

Cantwell's standout season in the Prem was primarily at LW, albeit in the narrow Farke system.

Rashica has played at a much higher level for much longer than Hernandez, despite the fact he's about 5 years younger.

On 29/07/2022 at 11:01, vos said:

I am yet to be convinced that Rashica is any better than Onel. No end product and never looks likely to score.

I agree. Rashica has not looked like scoring very many, for all his good looking runs. Onel is similar, but at this level has proved he can score. For me the two of them are in competition for the same place in the side - and if one of them doesn't cut it, the other gets a go - and hopefully between them we get effective wing play on that side of the pitch.

On 30/07/2022 at 11:33, kirku said:

By what metric could he possibly be the "most proven winger" when we have Cantwell and Rashica in the squad?!

How many championship medals does rashica have compared to hernandez

• Like 2

its a sad day when Lets face it after blowing all our money on wide men last season we are back to deciding if we play them or the players they were bought to replace that were deemed not good enough 

so what we are really saying is we need to replace the wide men Again

On 30/07/2022 at 10:05, Capt. Pants said:

can see him in a Grealish role tbh.

I thought this the other day pantso, given abit of license to go and play. 

1 hour ago, Iwans teeth said:

You sound like Roy  Keane. 

Southwell tonight on Hernandez after yet another bad pass in a good position: ’He must be the most frustrating footballer I’ve ever seen.’

1 hour ago, Iwans teeth said:

How many championship medals does Haaland have?

Guess Hugill is more proven then..

Onel is just more 'Norwich' than Rashica. At least he loves the club and gives a shizz. When he's good he's almost unstoppable at this level and when he's bad he's laughable - and this is often in a 10 minute period.

If he had a final ball he certainly wouldn't be playing for Norwich.

• Like 2

On 30/07/2022 at 10:56, horsefly said:

I think there is still something of a conundrum to be solved for Smith. It's often said he has a preference for 4-3-3. At the same time he has also publicly stated that he is a huge admirer of Dowell and thinks his skill and vision could be key to unlocking Championship defences. However, he has also described Dowell as no natural athlete, and that seems conclusively to rule him out from playing out wide where players are now expected to bomb back to perform defensive duties as well as bomb forward in attack (I think his performances there have shown this to be evidently the case). So Dowell would only seem to suit playing No.10 in a 4-2-3-1 formation. I could see Cantwell playing No.10 too. It will be interesting to see for what formation Smith shows a preference; if it is to be 4-3-3 I would much rather see Onel play out wide than Dowell. Personally I'm hoping for 4-2-3-1 with Dowell at N0.10 (when he's fit). 

Wouldn't rule out a 4-3-2-1 (so, the Christmas tree) where the two can be more traditional wingers if we're wanting to spread the play, or two creative, attacking midfielders (basically two number 10s) if we wanted to work in tighter spaces and only have the full-backs providing width.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I continue to be somewhat amazed that people can't see the real value in Hernandez both on and off the pitch! He's 100% a part of my Norwich squad if I'm Dean Smith. Does he frustrate? Yes. And if he had that quality end product he'd never have stepped foot in Norwich. Appreciate what he does bring and get behind him!!

17 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Southwell tonight on Hernandez after yet another bad pass in a good position: ’He must be the most frustrating footballer I’ve ever seen.’

I love Southwell, but one does have to consider how many footballers he has seen... if he thinks Hernandez is the most frustrating footballer he has seen, then, IMHO, he has missed a lot of footballers at Norwich... I could probably rattle off a good half dozen from the last ten years at least. An easy 3-4 probably just from last season... 

23 minutes ago, chicken said:

I love Southwell, but one does have to consider how many footballers he has seen... if he thinks Hernandez is the most frustrating footballer he has seen, then, IMHO, he has missed a lot of footballers at Norwich... I could probably rattle off a good half dozen from the last ten years at least. An easy 3-4 probably just from last season... 

For example: at his worst, Onel is like Yanic Wildschut at his best.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, chicken said:

Well, yes, Southwell is annoyingly young...🧐

But I think what he is talking about is Hernandez getting into good positions and then so often just making the wrong decision.

34 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, yes, Southwell is annoyingly young...🧐

But I think what he is talking about is Hernandez getting into good positions and then so often just making the wrong decision.

I feel this can be exaggerated at times. Last night I didn't feel he was doing this as much he has done in the past, he was playing it calmly to the edge of the area. It's in the highlights.

Hugill was far more frustrating IMHO last night. Frustrating because he just didn't fit into the way we were playing, or seemingly try to. 

Edited by chicken

If he could be coached so that all he did was beat his man once then cross or shoot, I think he'd rack up the stats. Onel seems to decrease in effectiveness the longer he has possession.

For me this season Hernandez and Rashica are offering about the same level of output. The difference being Rashica gets from A to B, whilst Hernandez gets from A to B via a detour at H

48 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

For example: at his worst, Onel is like Yanic Wildschut at his best.

Is Onel, for example, more or less frustrating than the likes of Naismith, Wolfswinkel, Normann, Gilmour etc? 

Onel had a great season a couple of years ago for us , he ripped this league apart ,sadly after that he seemed to lose form and was loaned out last season , but if it's a straight fight between him , rashica, and sargent for a place in the side , I know who I'd pick !

On 30/07/2022 at 12:59, The Real Buh said:

Hernandez has my vote over last seasons failures. At least he’ll play like he gives a śhît

Agreed. Same with Hugill to be fair, he's sh*t but at least he puts in a shift. Perhaps we should have kept both around last season, probably a lot to be said for having players with that attitude around the place.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Onel had a great season a couple of years ago for us , he ripped this league apart ,sadly after that he seemed to lose form and was loaned out last season , but if it's a straight fight between him , rashica, and sargent for a place in the side , I know who I'd pick !

You've missed out two seasons in-between his good season and his loan season to be fair, it was Farkes first promotion season when he really produced. Lots of injuries since have hindered. Still think he's primarily a useful impact sub and will blow hot and cold.

33 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

If Hernandez ends up being a key part of our 11 this year we don't get promoted.

Sort of agree.

As an impact sub and backup winger though, I think he gets a pass for a year.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

41 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You've missed out two seasons in-between his good season and his loan season to be fair, it was Farkes first promotion season when he really produced. Lots of injuries since have hindered. Still think he's primarily a useful impact sub and will blow hot and cold.

When I said a couple of years ago , I didn't necessarily mean two , if you say to someone I'm just going out for a couple of beers do you have two and leave?

14 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

When I said a couple of years ago , I didn't necessarily mean two , if you say to someone I'm just going out for a couple of beers do you have two and leave?

Just saying that its a long time ago. He's not done much at all for three years. 

I think he's handy to have around in the squad, gives defenders something to think about off the bench, use him in cup games or when Rashica has a twinge or something, but he's not a regular starter for me, and if we relied on him for that I can't see it being too long before he got injured sadly.

I think we should just enjoy having him around in this final year, lifts the mood and nice to have off the bench. Ideally he wouldn't be relied upon as frequent starter.

Onel is a disruptor he creates chaos. One thing he isn't is consistent, but maybe just maybe on a few occasions this season he will be the difference between winning and losing. We don't have another player like him and neither do many of our rivals. Has to be worth a place on the bench but I don't see him as a regular starter.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Onel is a disruptor he creates chaos. One thing he isn't is consistent, but maybe just maybe on a few occasions this season he will be the difference between winning and losing. We don't have another player like him and neither do many of our rivals. Has to be worth a place on the bench but I don't see him as a regular starter.

I know what your saying , however if his direct rivals for a place in the side include rashica, dowell, sargent,then maybe he should be a regular starter, however yes he is frustrating not so sure that I think he is the most frustrating ncfc player ever , like a certain second rate local journo thinks.🤔