I can't remember who started it, but we had this thread at the start of last season and it was pretty interesting.

Basically, it was a thread where people made predictions and gave their opinions and general feelings on what they think might happen over the coming season, which might not necessarily be widely held.

I made a few predictions and there were more misses than hits, so let's see how this season goes. 

Positive predictions:

-Rashica will shine this season. If he stays injury-free and plays, let's say, three-quarters of the matches, he'll get around a combined 20 goals/assists.

-Cantwell will have a renaissance. I've been critical of him over the last 12 months and suggested that it would be best for all parties if he moved on, but I just think with how pre-season is going that he will be given a chance early on and he'll take it.

-Omobamidele will become an undisputed starter. Not exactly outrageous this one, but if he's over his injury problem from last season then he'll firmly establish himself. 

-Kenny McLean will continue to play regularly, and he won't let us down. 

Negative predictions:

-We saw Krul's performance level drop towards the end of last season, and I think his best days are behind him. He still has two years left on his contract, but I'd be surprised if he's still here beyond this season to see it out.

-I really hope I'm wrong with this one, but I think Sara will disappoint. He'll show glimpses and moments of what he's capable of, but expectations have been raised so high, it will be nearly impossible for him to reach them.

-Sargent will continue to struggle. His work rate and attitude will be first class as always, but his technical and goalscoring ability won't be up to it even in the Championship. He might pop up with an important goal or two, though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can't remember who started it, but we had this thread at the start of last season and it was pretty interesting.

Basically, it was a thread where people made predictions and gave their opinions and general feelings on what they think might happen over the coming season, which might not necessarily be widely held.

I made a few predictions and there were more misses than hits, so let's see how this season goes. 

Positive predictions:

-Rashica will shine this season. If he stays injury-free and plays, let's say, three-quarters of the matches, he'll get around a combined 20 goals/assists.

-Cantwell will have a renaissance. I've been critical of him over the last 12 months and suggested that it would be best for all parties if he moved on, but I just think with how pre-season is going that he will be given a chance early on and he'll take it.

-Omobamidele will become an undisputed starter. Not exactly outrageous this one, but if he's over his injury problem from last season then he'll firmly establish himself. 

-Kenny McLean will continue to play regularly, and he won't let us down. 

Negative predictions:

-We saw Krul's performance level drop towards the end of last season, and I think his best days are behind him. He still has two years left on his contract, but I'd be surprised if he's still here beyond this season to see it out.

-I really hope I'm wrong with this one, but I think Sara will disappoint. He'll show glimpses and moments of what he's capable of, but expectations have been raised so high, it will be nearly impossible for him to reach them.

-Sargent will continue to struggle. His work rate and attitude will be first class as always, but his technical and goalscoring ability won't be up to it even in the Championship. He might pop up with an important goal or two, though.

If Sara isn’t what we’re hoping he will be the midfield is very average at best. 

I hope we are wrong but inclined to agree re Krul. Gunn makes more saves and Krul started letting in a few of those “he will be disappointed with that” type goals.

Hopefully a confidence thing and a good start to the season sees him back to his best. 

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

However, it isn't complete. With Lees-Melou leaving, we'll sign someone else.

Well if McLean remains a regular I’m not confident on another promotion push. We have to be looking to better what limited attributes Kenny possesses. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well if McLean remains a regular I’m not confident on another promotion push. We have to be looking to better what limited attributes Kenny possesses. 

This is why I didn't think my opinion would be widely held.

McLean has been a regular starter, when fit, in each of the last two Championship campaigns and we've won the league both times, yet he still gets regularly written off as a player who isn't good enough for a promotion push.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

McLean has been a regular starter, when fit, in each of the last two Championship campaigns and we've won the league both times, yet he still gets regularly written off as a player who isn't good enough for a promotion push.

Was it  @TheGoogler who had a prediction thread last championship season for stuff like player of the season etc

8 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Was it  @TheGoogler who had a prediction thread last championship season for stuff like player of the season etc

I've just had a search, and it was @Hank shoots Skyler. I think it was more of a thread for general predictions rather than the more specific things like final position, top scorer, POTS etc.

Last season I predicted Billy Gilmour would be our most important player. I guess you could argue he was central to our relegation...

• Haha 1

Rashica - I’m yet to be convinced by him. Would love for him to be involved in 20 goals/assists but I just can’t see it on the evidence so far.

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep. Hes been a regular figure in two title wins, particularly the second which included more goals and points than the first. I expect him to play more often than not, with both Smith and Farke clearly rating him.

On 24/07/2022 at 08:43, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've just had a search, and it was @Hank shoots Skyler. I think it was more of a thread for general predictions rather than the more specific things like final position, top scorer, POTS etc.

Yeah, unfortunately I was far too depressed by the season end to ever bump it back for a retrospective look... I never dared to touch it again... 

Hopefully we can bump this one by the end of the year with a bit of pleasure!

I pretty much agree with a lot of the same lines of your OP; Gunn to be number 1 before Christmas, Omobamidele to be our best CB, Cantwell to be our best attacking midfielder and McLean to feature regularly. I am also inclined to agree that Sara may not have quite the impact we want - especially with him being given that number 17 shirt.... but I can see him growing as the season goes on (particularly if it is a successful season for the club). 

Here are a few others but nothing too outrageous I feel:

• Giannoulis to be one of our strongest attacking outlets, dominating the left hand overlap and creating a lot of chances. 
  • Pukku to get around 15-17 goals tops, perhaps as a result of Smith not persisting with him through too long of a bad run - with Idah in particular and Hugill this season representing genuine competition rather than just injury cover which has pretty much always been the case in the past.
  • Rashica and Sargent to struggle, Sargent probably not a surprise suggestion but as someone else has mentioned above, I'm just not convinced Rashica will be as prolific as others have marked him up to be. A lot of the time we will be playing against teams with 10 behind the ball at their 18 yard box, I'm not sure he has the guile in close quarter situations to consistently get the better of his man / not get marked out of the game - he always looked at his best with space to run in to last season IMO. But I must admit to knowing little about his time in Germany.
  • Dowell to feature regularly and to displace Sargent on the right hand side.
  • I have a good feeling about Hayden when he is fit, I think we will play at a notably higher level with him as the lynchpin at the base of the midfield.
  • More controversially on Cantwell; him to sign a new contract!!
  • Sinani will be a bit part player at best.
  • I'll also predict us to fall short of the automatics, but finish comfortably in the play off positions.

A few predos from my end:

1. I don't think we'll start very quickly and reckon we'll probably be mid-table after eight to ten games as there's potential for something of a hangover to still be in the lads after last season, but I think we could go on a fairly late charge as our somewhat remodelled side, especially the midfield, begins to gel.
2. A youngster gets a fair bit of sub time with the new five substitution rule, then makes the leap. Think that's between Gibbs and Tomkinson at the moment, but the beauty of youth development is that you never quite know who develops.
3. Sargent becomes an unorthodox underdog talisman in the Stiepermann mould, even if his playing style is somewhat different, as his physicality, aggression, and willingness to work very hard strangles Championship widemen and full-backs whilst getting on the end of a few floated Rashica crosses.
4. Cantwell becomes a bona-fide number 10.
5. Attanasio buys out Foulger and maybe another smaller investor, but will probably be over 20% in shares held by the end of the year.
6. We finish between 5th and 8th after a strong end of season charge, but if we hit the play-offs we fall just short.

Not sure many of these are total hot takes but...

• Sinani will be a bit part player, not a starter
  • Sargent will similarly be more of an option off the bench
  • Idah will get at least 10 goals
  • Gibbs will start more games than Sorenson
  • Cantwell will be in the top 3 for POTS.

This season will be different the last 4 years have either been amazing or rubbish. This season will be neither how EVERYONE handles this will be interesting.

Max Aarons will remind everyone how good he is.

As it becomes self evident we are going to win the league, again, talk will intensify amongst the brain dead plastics about whether we should be “allowed” to be promoted, even if we satisfy all criteria for being promoted because we aren’t marketable in Malaysia or something really important like that.

50 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Yeah, unfortunately I was far too depressed by the season end to ever bump it back for a retrospective look... I never dared to touch it again... 

Hopefully we can bump this one by the end of the year with a bit of pleasure!

I pretty much agree with a lot of the same lines of your OP; Gunn to be number 1 before Christmas, Omobamidele to be our best CB, Cantwell to be our best attacking midfielder and McLean to feature regularly. I am also inclined to agree that Sara may not have quite the impact we want - especially with him being given that number 17 shirt.... but I can see him growing as the season goes on (particularly if it is a successful season for the club). 

Here are a few others but nothing too outrageous I feel:

• Giannoulis to be one of our strongest attacking outlets, dominating the left hand overlap and creating a lot of chances. 
  • Pukku to get around 15-17 goals tops, perhaps as a result of Smith not persisting with him through too long of a bad run - with Idah in particular and Hugill this season representing genuine competition rather than just injury cover which has pretty much always been the case in the past.
  • Rashica and Sargent to struggle, Sargent probably not a surprise suggestion but as someone else has mentioned above, I'm just not convinced Rashica will be as prolific as others have marked him up to be. A lot of the time we will be playing against teams with 10 behind the ball at their 18 yard box, I'm not sure he has the guile in close quarter situations to consistently get the better of his man / not get marked out of the game - he always looked at his best with space to run in to last season IMO. But I must admit to knowing little about his time in Germany.
  • Dowell to feature regularly and to displace Sargent on the right hand side.
  • I have a good feeling about Hayden when he is fit, I think we will play at a notably higher level with him as the lynchpin at the base of the midfield.
  • More controversially on Cantwell; him to sign a new contract!!
  • Sinani will be a bit part player at best.
  • I'll also predict us to fall short of the automatics, but finish comfortably in the play off positions.

Wonder how predos 1 and 3 dovetail, especially with Rashica? If Giannoulis becomes powerful on the overlap, you'd also think that - should - open things up for Rashica too.

There'll be much moaning, groaning, growling and howling - and that's just our row in the River End!

All seriousness, we should be strong enough to make the play offs and from there who knows. However, I don't think it's going to be pretty at times and Farkeball will soon be a distant memory.

I share some reservations over the GK positions - think Timmy's on the slide and Gunn I'm still not sure about. Still we should just about be able to get away with that in the Champs

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Wonder how predos 1 and 3 dovetail, especially with Rashica? If Giannoulis becomes powerful on the overlap, you'd also think that - should - open things up for Rashica too.

Yep good point and I was wondering the same.

I personally think that (with Rashica struggling) we are more likely to see Cantwell move back out to the left, and then Sara coming in to the centre as the 'John McGinn' type player.

Cantwell has been playing a more central role so far in pre season but IMO that is more likely a result of the reshuffling required with Sara / Hayden unavailable. With Cantwell on the left but preferring to cut inside with the ball and to drift inside in general, this should give Giannoulis even more license to hog that left hand touchline with more space to run into.

It feels like Giannoulis + Rashica would both be vying for the same spaces on the wide left. But I do think for the start of the season Rashica will be given a good go there for at least the first 6-8 games I just have a feeling it might not stay that way, and personally like the match up of Dimi + Cantwell better.

Rashica could even move out to the right hand side? I'm sure he'd do a better job on that side than Cantwell did last season... 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Rashica could even move out to the right hand side? I'm sure he'd do a better job on that side than Cantwell did last season... 

I was wondering whether that might be a viable option. Cantwell - Dowell - Rashica behind Pukki could be pretty tasty.

Positives

- we won't win the league but will be promoted

- both Hayden and Sara will turn out superb signings

- the light shows will be fantastic 

Negatives

- there will be few Saturday 3pm home kick offs

- Ipswich will be promoted

- Pukki leaves at the end of the season 

I hope I'm wrong with the negatives!

On 24/07/2022 at 11:15, hogesar said:

Yep. Hes been a regular figure in two title wins, particularly the second which included more goals and points than the first. I expect him to play more often than not, with both Smith and Farke clearly rating him.

More points but less goals in 20/21 than 18/19.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2022 at 22:09, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm going to take the McLean point a step further and say that I think he'll be the most important players in our team. Possibly the most if we use 433 a majority of the time.

I’m not that big on predictions, there’s too many unknowns good and bad that can happen, but I do think Smith is already up against it. There seems to be little in the way of goodwill towards him (indeed, some had limited goodwill from the off) and the majority seem extremely pessimistic about the season, so if we don’t get off to a good start I think it will turn rather iffy.  Imo he should get until October/November (WC break) to prove its working.