Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk  Dan

Captain Material

Have the club announced the captain or captains for.this season..

I recall a club captain and a team captain at some.point in our recent history. 

If we keep Max for one more season... can we give him the club captain role? I would react like to see him be given more club responsibility, no idea what exactly that is!

What do you feel would be best for our club,? 

1 minute ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Have the club announced the captain or captains for.this season..

I recall a club captain and a team captain at some.point in our recent history. 

If we keep Max for one more season... can we give him the club captain role? I would react like to see him be given more club responsibility, no idea what exactly that is!

What do you feel would be best for our club,? 

Club captain is usually reserved for someone who doesn’t play as much but still an influence around the team, much like a gibson, hugill or Zimmermann 

captain will be Hanley as there is not much point changing a born leader from that role 

3 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

captain will be Hanley as there is not much point changing a born leader from that role 

Hanley is far too quiet.  Gibson, far too loud. Zimbo is probably our best potential captain, but probably not a good enough player to warrant a regular starting place. Kenny points too much and hides. Max sulks and probably off anyway. In short I'm not convinced we have a true leader worthy of the role at the moment! Another conundrum for Smith & Webber to work on.

Last season Hanley was captain, Gibson was vice captain. I would imagine those two will be virtually ever present in the first team squad and at least one of them will be in the starting XI so doubt anything will change

9 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

As the kids say....whoosh!

I was there at West Runton 1st July 1977 😜

Fair play. My bad.

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Was that when Captain Sensible came out on stage stark naked playing his guitar? If so, I was there...

3 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I saw the Damned at West Runton but it was just after the Black album was released, he still came onstage naked for the encore though 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Norfolk Mustard said:

Was that when Captain Sensible came out on stage stark naked playing his guitar? If so, I was there...

I think that may have been the next time, supported by the Ruts?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Hanley is far too quiet.  Gibson, far too loud. Zimbo is probably our best potential captain, but probably not a good enough player to warrant a regular starting place. Kenny points too much and hides. Max sulks and probably off anyway. In short I'm not convinced we have a true leader worthy of the role at the moment! Another conundrum for Smith & Webber to work on.

This is such a ridiculous myth it really is. Hanley is plenty vocal enough. Not only that, if you watch him, he knows there are players that roasting on the pitch doesn't help, especially the younger players, he puts his arm around them and gets them going again.

The idea that a "true leader" of any sort is one that dominates through noise is just so old school... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chicken said:

This is such a ridiculous myth it really is. Hanley is plenty vocal enough. Not only that, if you watch him, he knows there are players that roasting on the pitch doesn't help, especially the younger players, he puts his arm around them and gets them going again.

The idea that a "true leader" of any sort is one that dominates through noise is just so old school... 

I'm going to ask for your respect again Chicken as I have a profound difference of opinion here. 

When you're winning I think Hanley is a perfectly good captain, so may well be okay in the Chumps. But in the EPL when you are invariably under the cosh in a big stadium with loads of noise you need decisive, sharp, concise and loud instruction. Especially when you go behind, you also need a big loud shout of encouragement to all to put it behind them and go again. You have to visibly show you care. It gets the crowd going to. I'm sorry but Hanley isn't that guy, a quiet word a minute or two later and the moment is gone. So let's find a captain like that for the campaign to come next year. 😉

But then my fave captain was Duncan Forbes so ....  

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I'm going to ask for your respect again Chicken as I have a profound difference of opinion here. 

When you're winning I think Hanley is a perfectly good captain, so may well be okay in the Chumps. But in the EPL when you are invariably under the cosh in a big stadium with loads of noise you need decisive, sharp, concise and loud instruction. Especially when you go behind, you also need a big loud shout of encouragement to all to put it behind them and go again. You have to visibly show you care. It gets the crowd going to. I'm sorry but Hanley isn't that guy, a quiet word a minute or two later and the moment is gone. So let's find a captain like that for the campaign to come next year. 😉

But then my fave captain was Duncan Forbes so ....  

With great respect, how many games have you been to and not heard Hanley? 

I would also argue that the "big stadium with loads of noise" remark is a bit missing too. A lot of the big stadiums are rarely rocking. Often out sung by our away support.

In those situations, there are other ways of making yourself heard. Honestly, from the games I have been to, you can hear Hanley loud and clear. Like I said, it's utter myth that seems to stem from people who watch on TV, where you get little actual noise from players.

In addition, if all you want is someone to yell, then just find someone with a big mouth. Southgate is a great example of player who was a great captain but didn't rely upon just screaming at team mates the entire game. Beckham is hardly someone you would expect to hear yelling non stop. Maguire, now, is the same.

You look through teams. Aguero has been captain, Messi, Thiago at Chelsea has captained his international side and PSG and is not the most vociferous.

Is Hanley as good as all of these? No. Is he silent? No. Is he quiet? No. Will he be Smith's captain? Possibly not. Has he been a good captain? Yes. Every season he has been here our defence has looked better with him in it. As quite a few people are strained to point out fairly regularly, this isn't purely to being a better player in every way. So what else does he do to our defence to make it better? Communication. Presence. 

Edited by chicken

10 hours ago, chicken said:

Is Hanley as good as all of these? No. Is he silent? No. Is he quiet? No. Will he be Smith's captain? Possibly not. Has he been a good captain? Yes. Every season he has been here our defence has looked better with him in it. As quite a few people are strained to point out fairly regularly, this isn't purely to being a better player in every way. So what else does he do to our defence to make it better? Communication. Presence. 

I appreciate your point of view, but I'm wholly unconvinced, so we remain at odds in our view, each to their own. I would love to see a good old fashioned passionate captain geeing up our side when our backs our to the wall. 

I think all of us agree we were far too meek in our last two seasons in the EPL - something has to change!  Maybe it won't be our style of captain, but there again it might be the catalyst we need? 🤷‍♂️ 

9 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I appreciate your point of view, but I'm wholly unconvinced, so we remain at odds in our view, each to their own. I would love to see a good old fashioned passionate captain geeing up our side when our backs our to the wall. 

I think all of us agree we were far too meek in our last two seasons in the EPL - something has to change!  Maybe it won't be our style of captain, but there again it might be the catalyst we need? 🤷‍♂️ 

So how many games have you been to where you have been close enough to the pitch to hand on heart say, he makes no noise.

It's not a point of view. I have been there and he makes noise. 

Fair enough, you have heard him loud and clear. I certainly have been at matches when I feel a presence was required and have not noticed it coming from him. I do tend to look towards a captain for such a reaction after a goal is scored (probably my Forbesian education as a youth) and in my view Hanley never provides what I personally would expect.  If he makes a loud noise without other "histrionics" fair play, but generally in my view he just seems to huff and puff then walk back into position for the kick off without communicating with his team mates.

I don't think a good captain necessarily needs to be really aggressive and loud. But a lot of communication, as well as praise and encouragement is important. 

Have a watch of this. It's interesting that a lot of fans don't really rate Henderson but the players that play alongside seem to love him as a captain.

https://youtube.com/shorts/96Z6Y8eVYOY?feature=share

This was during the pandemic so can be heard clearly.

I think Hanley seems to be respected in the same way from the rest of the Norwich squad, but perhaps more from his attitude and body on the line type nature.

I did ask Tim about the captaincy role a while back and wether he'd take it if offered hypothetically speaking.

He said that of course the squad needs a captain, but that generally they have a number of senior players that are 'captains' on the pitch. He also said there's a tonne of other duties off the field that he didn't fancy much 🤣 I'm sure he'd take it if offered of course haha

Edited by markdmhoward
  • Like 2

A good captain knows his players. Hanley seems to realise that a lot of the team need gentle encouragement rather than a whinge, and he'll gently tell them what to do. As Mark said before me, he'll automatically get plenty of respect from the rest of the team by his deeds, attitude, and commitment on the pitch.

Also, I'd argue the captain needs to be a reliable player. Not necessarily the best, but one that doesn't make many errors but also can generally see what's going on. Centre-halves often end up as captains for that reason (goalies as captains are rather rarer). Hanley was one of the few last season who had a reasonable season in terms of performance. Easier to gee players up when you're not dropping schnitzers left, right, and centre. Using myself as an example, there's no way I'd ever be a captain at eleven-a-side as I'm not usually a strong player in a team. At five-a-side, I end up being a team leader whether I like it or not as I'm a more than capable goalie at local league level. The fact that I also tend to shout a heck of a lot is by the by.