1 minute ago, king canary said:

Interested reading the consensus of people who've seen him play on twitter. I think people will read Brazilian midfielder and expect flair and creativity when in reality all the talk is about his engine, running, work rate etc etc. He's a box to box type rather than a creator, which we need. I'd say this signing will potentially be big competition for McLean and also put an end to any rumours of Normann coming back. 

Got to say I'm pretty excited though. Him and Hayden is the overhaul our central midfield badly needed. Now interesting to see if we use McLean/PLM further forward or if they are on the bench with Dowell as number 10.

I don’t want to see McLean or PLM further forwards, we have Todd & Dowell for the 10 position and then Sargent, Tzolis, Rowe, Raschica all can play high up. I wouldn’t be disappointed to see both PLM & McLean go this summer as I want to see more of Sorensen who when in the side till his injury started to look at home.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t want to see McLean or PLM further forwards, we have Todd & Dowell for the 10 position and then Sargent, Tzolis, Rowe, Raschica all can play high up. I wouldn’t be disappointed to see both PLM & McLean go this summer as I want to see more of Sorensen who when in the side till his injury started to look at home.

I would be disappointed to see PLM go, I think he could be very effective at championship level. Not that I think he will be leaving.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

PLM and Mclean are both better than Sorensen, so you can pretty much rule out that happening.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Pink Un saying the manager of his club has announced he has left the club (He being Gabriel that is). So, seems he's on his way..

How did you beat me by like 0.1 seconds?

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

How did you beat me by like 0.1 seconds?

The cream always rises to the top!!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

PLM and Mclean are both better than Sorensen, so you can pretty much rule out that happening.

We’ll disagree on that point, as Sorensen came in and impressed in midfield, unfortunately got injured, had he stayed fit he’d certainly played more last year. I just don’t get why so many fans love McLean so much, just a very average championship player at best, shown by absolutely no interest in taking him away by any other club! Then again that can be said of 90% of our players! 😂😉

Edited by Indy

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

We’ll disagree on that point, as Sorensen came in and impressed in midfield, unfortunately got injured, had he stayed fit he’d certainly played more last year. I just don’t get why so many fans love McLean so much, just a very average championship player at best, shown by absolutely no interest in taking him away by any other club! Then again that can be said of 90% of our players! 😂😉

It's a game of opinions - but both Farke and Smith so far have rated Mclean and PLM above Sorensen. I happen to agree with them! 

As for Mclean, he's a very good championship midfielder, hence being a regular player in two title winning seasons. Bang average Championship players don't do that twice (they certainly don't get 3 goals and 6 assists with high 80 pass % and created chances in 20 games, and then get 2 goals and 6 assists in the next title winning season, whilst acting as either a holding or central midfielder for most apps).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indy said:

PLM will be a massive success this season 

Mclean always was a success at champ level 

Sorensen can move on or go on loan somewhere 

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

You’re having a laugh! I haven’t seen so much criticism directed at one of our own players* since Russell Martin. If you think people trying to correct unjustified attacks is “love”, you’re just letting your own prejudices get in the way of what is actually being said. McLean is a decent to top Championship player, who could possibly be a sufficient squad member in the PL with a good enough team around him. I don’t think anyone has claimed more than that?

*I will admit Placheta has not been popular on this board recently as well, but he genuinely IS pants. 😉

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You’re having a laugh! I haven’t seen so much criticism directed at one of our own players* since Russell Martin. If you think people trying to correct unjustified attacks is “love”, you’re just letting your own prejudices get in the way of what is actually being said. McLean is a decent to top Championship player, who could possibly be a sufficient squad member in the PL with a good enough team around him. I don’t think anyone has claimed more than that?

*I will admit Placheta has not been popular on this board recently as well, but he genuinely IS pants. 😉

I'm not actually referring to Indy in this as he's generally pretty balanced but if you defend a player or the board or the manager from anything, even if you're just putting right a complete lie, it's often turned on you that you're "in love", "obsessed", "wont have a bad word said against" etc etc.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not actually referring to Indy in this as he's generally pretty balanced but if you defend a player or the board or the manager from anything, even if you're just putting right a complete lie, it's often turned on you that you're "in love", "obsessed", "wont have a bad word said against" etc etc.

I’m not his fan that’s for certain, makes too many mistakes and is far too static at times demanding others do his work. You’re correct Farke and Smith certainly play him more as other options have been utterly crap. But Sorensen had a spell in each season and every time looks calm, collected and never let the team down when played, even at PL. As you say I’m not alone in my preferences and maybe our weakness as midfield in the past few seasons might be the final fix where we might just get to be competitive in the next relegation fight in the PL. We have to get there first. It’s not personal as I don’t know McLean personally it’s an opinion of what I want to see on the pitch.

It won't be either or for parts of the season.

With eight more league games and earlier entry into the cup competitions, we'll need to be well stocked up with these decent Championship-rated players. The injuries/illnesses will pile up for sure. Even those little niggles that benefit from a one game lay-off.

We also need to be in a position to make full use of the new substitute rules, which also implies making full use of the parachute payments that will be forthcoming. This could be vital, especially as we are led to believe that many Chumps clubs are cash-strapped following the lock-out seasons.

This is why I feel we might be one short on the striker front. Perhaps Pukki can take one more season of being the workhorse, but it's as risky to bet on that as it is to bet on Idah remaining injury free all season or the Sarge hitting the goal train regularly. The thought of starting with Hugill alone up front for a spell of games hardly encourages hopes, unless Dean Smith is planning to follow the Citeh way of expecting the thrust of goal flow to come from midfielders and wide men, whilst dispensing with the traditional striker or target man on occasions. Young Rowe didn't look short of an eye for goal, whilst Cantwell, Rashica and Dowell (and Hayden?) have form.

Either way, a recognised lower league sharp-shooter who wouldn't expect  high wages or to be a regular starter surely wouldn't go amiss, unless a youngster from our own ranks is considered ready. Dixon-Peters?

Edited by BroadstairsR

48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's a game of opinions - but both Farke and Smith so far have rated Mclean and PLM above Sorensen. I happen to agree with them! 

As for Mclean, he's a very good championship midfielder, hence being a regular player in two title winning seasons. Bang average Championship players don't do that twice (they certainly don't get 3 goals and 6 assists with high 80 pass % and created chances in 20 games, and then get 2 goals and 6 assists in the next title winning season, whilst acting as either a holding or central midfielder for most apps).

I always recall that first title winning team having McLean as a starter later in the season. Maybe with a quarter of the season to go.

I remember him at the den missing a number of decent opportunities to put Pukki through on go and he over hit them.

He is part of the squad but not a player we should be wanting to start if we go up or even with these new midfielders coming in. Squad player I hope.

1 minute ago, Icecream Snow said:

Paddy says it's all on track

Must be because we lost out to Burnley in the race for league one Scott Twine.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Has the plane landed yet?😉

He's already thumbing through the catalogue in Argos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A Brazilian friend of mine just posted this on FB, shared from a Brazilian media page. 

FB_IMG_1657293543496.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was hoping he was a CM. Transfermarkt has him as primarily an AM but below is a lst of games he's played in each position so has some strings to his bow. Left footed, looks quite strong

Central Midfield 21 5 1
Left Midfield 20 1 3
Attacking Midfield 18 2 1
Right Midfield 14 1 -
Right Winger 10 5 2
Defensive Midfield 4 1 1
Left Winger 3 1 1
Right-Back 1 - -
Left-Back

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Depends upon formation doesn't it?

If the 4-2-3-1 is played, then I suspect you would see Hayden and one of McLean or PLM alongside him with a choice of Rashica, Dowell, Sara, Cantwell, Sargent, Idah and any others to fill those attacking spots behind Pukki.

If we are playing a 4-3-3 then it could depend how that is played out on the pitch. If that midfield three is played with Hayden sitting behind two other midfielders further forward with wide attacking players, so almost like a 4-1-4-1, then I could see Hayden playing the deep role with Sara and PLM ahead of him and the likes of Rashica, Cantwell, Dowell, Sargent etc fighting for the wide births.

There are lots of options, I wouldn't rule anything out IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

This bloke on Twitter has a thread from a Sao Paulo fan who loves him. 

Says he's a box to box midfielder who's got a great engine. Exciting if even a bit true

https://twitter.com/x2Renskay/status/1545139455920586754?t=8c4Q9Y4QB4197NbPLilQtA&s=19

From the vids I have seen, he does look a bit more like that to be honest. Looks fairly robust/physical.