Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Who replaces McLean ?

4 hours ago, raunds canary said:

Ed stewpot Stewart would probably be more mobile 

He’s dead isn’t he? (Although that doesn’t invalidate your point)

1 hour ago, king canary said:

There clearly seems to be some kind of disconnect though with Webber deciding to hand him a contract extension this summer despite having two years left on his existing deal. So it seems someone sees something in him.

Add it to the list of questions Webber won’t be answering.

I think Hoggy is right, he’s genuinely versatile and seems happy to be a squad player. Having a player who can do a job at CB, LB (presumably RB) and CM and is happy to sit on the bench on presumably relatively low wages is an absolute steal in terms of cover.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Sorensen. What is the point in having a player of his quality (and he has always looked class whenever he plays) and not ever play him?  If not now, when?

Exactly big mystery to me why he's been overlooked by two managers now.😚

We will learn a lot about Smith this weekend from the team that he plays. He could use McLean's absence to experiment with next season in mind, but he could also revert to 4-3-3 with Gilmour, PLM and Normann, perhaps in the belief that this will get us the points to finish above Watford or at least make his own record this season marginally better than Farke's two years ago. However, Sargent's absence means he can't just make the lazy decision of Sargent-Pukki-Rashica for the front three, so he's going to have to do something a little bit interesting, probably start Rowe.

20 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

We will learn a lot about Smith this weekend from the team that he plays. He could use McLean's absence to experiment with next season in mind, but he could also revert to 4-3-3 with Gilmour, PLM and Normann, perhaps in the belief that this will get us the points to finish above Watford or at least make his own record this season marginally better than Farke's two years ago. However, Sargent's absence means he can't just make the lazy decision of Sargent-Pukki-Rashica for the front three, so he's going to have to do something a little bit interesting, probably start Rowe.

I did wonder when he was going on about how there was still things to play for - ie finishing above Watford - if he was getting in his excuses early for still playing the loanees

I've got a horrible feeling it will be Gilmour and Normann and probably Williams too

I think the front 3 will be Pukki,  Rashica and Dowell rather than Rowe.

Would love to be wrong and see Sorensen, Giannoulis and Rowe all start but I fear Smith won't 

1 hour ago, Chichcan said:

I did wonder when he was going on about how there was still things to play for - ie finishing above Watford - if he was getting in his excuses early for still playing the loanees

I've got a horrible feeling it will be Gilmour and Normann and probably Williams too

I think the front 3 will be Pukki,  Rashica and Dowell rather than Rowe.

Would love to be wrong and see Sorensen, Giannoulis and Rowe all start but I fear Smith won't 

TBF finishing above Watford is worth about £2m quid so there is still something to play for, whether that is more valuable than giving our own players experience over gilmour Norman and Williams I'll leave to others to decide...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

TBF finishing above Watford is worth about £2m quid so there is still something to play for, whether that is more valuable than giving our own players experience over gilmour Norman and Williams I'll leave to others to decide...

£2m is nothing and can be squandered in the blink of an eye with a botched sponsorship deal 🤣

We need a very good performance, hopefully a win, something that will raise the spirits a bit. Imo what we're seeing under Smith at the moment is pretty woeful. People say he should be given time to build his own squad; well I say let's start tomorrow by not selecting the loanees.

That's what's got me most this season. Certain players have played appallingly, and get dropped, whilst others, whether it's one game, or more, simply get picked regardless.

Based on the awful midfield, Sorensen deserves a shot simply because the others have been cr*p (& he hasn't let us down when he has played, whilst others have). Based on positive attitude and exciting performances, Rowe deserves a starting berth  

Please tell me how selecting loan players will benefit the Club going forwards? We are already relegated and have played some of the weakest soccer ever seen in the Premiership, how could selecting the entire under 23 squad be any worse?

I'm hoping it isn't Gilmour but it probably will be

11 hours ago, king canary said:

I wonder if that personality is what stops Smith from using him in central midfield. You want leaders there and he's complained about how quiet and easy going the squad here can be.

Thats a fair point. Maybe if we had lots of leaders in the side then Sorensens nature would be less of a problem, but when in reality in terms of people loud and communicating you're limited to Krul, Hanley and McLean, perhaps he sees it as a problem.. 

2 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

Please tell me how selecting loan players will benefit the Club going forwards? We are already relegated and have played some of the weakest soccer ever seen in the Premiership, how could selecting the entire under 23 squad be any worse?

Because Smith still wants to try and win games so will play what he perceives to be our strongest squad. It really isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

There’s no guarantee that any of the non-loan players will be here next season, anyone might leave if bids come in. There might also be new players come in who play ahead of those who are currently not in the  first 11. 

There’s no point in leaving out eligible players and potentially playing a weaker team under some illusion that we are getting ready for next season when we probably aren’t. Pre-season is when you get ready for next season. 

Edited by Jambomo

39 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

There’s no guarantee that any of the non-loan players will be here next season, anyone might leave if bids come in. There might also be new players come in who play ahead of those who are currently not in the  first 11. 

There’s no point in leaving out eligible players and potentially playing a weaker team under some illusion that we are getting ready for next season when we probably aren’t. Pre-season is when you get ready for next season. 

But close season is when you make decisions about recruitment, and it would be useful to know more about the qualities of players currently at the club before making those decisions, especially given our limited financial resources.

Performance on the training ground does not necessarily translate into performance in a competitive match. Some players blossom under the pressure of a real game; others shrink. 

Edited by canarybubbles

19 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I can remember hearing something about Sorensen being practically vertical he's so laid back in training. I can imagine that might put managers off picking him in case that carries over onto the pitch.

That was the Dafabet promo video with Kenny McLean and Ollie Skipp. As McLean quipped, "Lungi's the most chilled-out guy in history, he could sleep standing up".

What I thought was telling was Skipp saying "it works for him".

McLean may not be Premier League quality but he is a heck of a lot closer than any of the other midfielders on display today. Hiding anonymity from all of them except maybe PLM

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

McLean may not be Premier League quality but he is a heck of a lot closer than any of the other midfielders on display today. Hiding anonymity from all of them except maybe PLM

Hi Kenny, hope your back to fitness very soon. 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No need to take the pee because you're universally wrong on everything football (see Leeds) and likely Fulham next season to complete a hattrick 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No need to take the pee because you're universally wrong on everything football 

With qualifications like that, it sounds like he should join our board of directors. 😉

What say you Midlands? You up for working with Delia one on one? Might get the odd flan recipe out of it if nothing else.

OTBC

3 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

With qualifications like that, it sounds like he should join our board of directors. 😉

What say you Midlands? You up for working with Delia one on one? Might get the odd flan recipe out of it if nothing else.

OTBC

Yes I am, I’d be more interested checking the wine cellar out though before playing strip poker with Delia and Micky. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No need to take the pee because you're universally wrong on everything football (see Leeds) and likely Fulham next season to complete a hattrick 

I bow to your superior wisdom Hoggy, you’ve called everything correct every time. Now if I do get employed by the club would you come and work for me? 

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yes I am, I’d be more interested checking the wine cellar out though before playing strip poker with Delia and Micky. 

As ever, you give me a visual feast to tuck into. 🤮

OTBC

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I bow to your superior wisdom Hoggy, you’ve called everything correct every time. Now if I do get employed by the club would you come and work for me? 

No.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No.

Your loss gorgeous. I would have made you chief steward and given you permission to eject anyone who even dares to frown on match days. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I would sell every single central Midfielder this club has and start again. They are all part of the problem now.

With the exception of Rowe and Springett I wouldn't be dissapointed if any wide player went too.

1 hour ago, Yellow Wal said:

With the exception of Rowe and Springett I wouldn't be dissapointed if any wide player went too.

I honestly don’t know what Rashica is on the pitch for at times. He is terrible!