Ulfotto

Villa possible Relegation

I know this seems a long shot but they still have to play Man City and Liverpool. Plus they rather strangely have to play Burnley twice. If they lose to Leicester on Saturday the game against us becomes massive.

• Confused 1

1 Point per game is the survival target. 

This table shows you the current PPG, and what upcoming opponents PPG is as a calculated average:

image.png.a7b6c55f7536af98f9246f19708cbd01.png

I'd say that Villa having Burnley twice is more in their favour, than not - A draw in one of those would be enough, in truth.

That table does not look great for Everton though, <1 PPG, only Leeds have a tougher (statistically) run in.  God I'd love us to win a few on the spin and just throw a spanner in the works.

14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

1 Point per game is the survival target. 

This table shows you the current PPG, and what upcoming opponents PPG is as a calculated average:

image.png.a7b6c55f7536af98f9246f19708cbd01.png

I'd say that Villa having Burnley twice is more in their favour, than not - A draw in one of those would be enough, in truth.

That table does not look great for Everton though, <1 PPG, only Leeds have a tougher (statistically) run in.  God I'd love us to win a few on the spin and just throw a spanner in the works.

I'd love it too, but unfortunately our PPG doesn't lie and we're bottom for a very good reason

Burnley have certainly played a blinder with the postponment of their fixtures this season...stacking their games in hand toward the back end of the season instead if the original crammed xmas period , now playing teams on the beach i.e Southampton last night and now Villa twice!

It's us and Watford with either Burnley or Everton for the drop and to think otherwise i find somewhat strange.

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It's us and Watford with either Burnley or Everton for the drop and to think otherwise i find somewhat strange.

Of course it is but it's the battle between Everton and Burnley that is interesting. It's hard to see Everton getting anything out of their next 3 games Screenshot_20220422-141407_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.e82889ac443b00be161c05733e19d107.jpgScreenshot_20220422-141310_Flashscore.thumb.jpg.f06e7dcc1c6c26e0c562697ce7c78de6.jpg

The point is IF Burnley beat Villa twice they are 2 points behind them. Villa then have to play Man City and Liverpool.

It is not going to happen but would be priceless if Lampard and Gerrard both got relegated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

The point is IF Burnley beat Villa twice they are 2 points behind them. Villa then have to play Man City and Liverpool.

It is not going to happen but would be priceless if Lampard and Gerrard both got relegated.

The obvious flaw in your logic is that Villa still have a home game against us. 

The real shocker here is seeing Leeds, Everton and Villa so low in the table. Why doesn't the national media have a go at them for wasting money rather than picking away at us for not spending it! 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The obvious flaw in your logic is that Villa still have a home game against us. 

The real shocker here is seeing Leeds, Everton and Villa so low in the table. Why doesn't the national media have a go at them for wasting money rather than picking away at us for not spending it! 

Dean Smith will be up for that one! Personally I don’t see Leeds in the same category as Everton or Villa. Pretty sure if you lined up the wage bills of the various clubs this year. The top six are as you would expect Everton and Villa should probably be tucked in with West Ham and Wolves but are not. Leeds in the other hand are more like Brighton and will struggle to hold onto Phillips and Rapinha in the summer.

59 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

That is four relegated by your priceless assumptions.

With Burnley coming into a bit of form, Ive seen some Leeds fans worrying. Everton and Leeds both have some pretty tricky games coming up. If Leeds don't get something from Palace then it could end up a three way scrap for that last spot

It's interesting what's happened at Villa recently.

Few weeks ago  some on here were using the fact that Gerrard had turned them around to support arguments that Smith isn't a good manager and it was a mistake for us to appoint him.

However, Villa's current run is horrendous and this is despite having 'the legend Gerrard' and the brilliance of Coutinho. I'm sure they will be safe this season but longer term they might struggle rather than becoming the top 6 team that they were talking about a few weeks ago.

16 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It's interesting what's happened at Villa recently.

Few weeks ago  some on here were using the fact that Gerrard had turned them around to support arguments that Smith isn't a good manager and it was a mistake for us to appoint him.

However, Villa's current run is horrendous and this is despite having 'the legend Gerrard' and the brilliance of Coutinho. I'm sure they will be safe this season but longer term they might struggle rather than becoming the top 6 team that they were talking about a few weeks ago.

Strange how it seems to have gone wrong since they replaced Emi with Coutinho

Watford and Norwich won't get to 28 points and Everton won't get to 36. Villa are awful though and need to spend another £100m to do anything other than survive next season.

The teams coming up from the Champs are so far off the pace I think everyone expects at least two of them to go straight back, so existing PL teams only have to be better than one other. It's pretty much already a closed shop.

If Everton do go down they will walk the Champs. But I still think they'll be OK.

4 hours ago, AJ said:

I'd love it too, but unfortunately our PPG doesn't lie and we're bottom for a very good reason

I reckon we've got 19th to play for, be nice to at least get off the bottom. 

• Like 2

It's not hard to see Leeds only getting a couple of points from the next four games but then Everton have got three out of four away coming up and they have the worst away record in the PL.

12 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Watford and Norwich won't get to 28 points and Everton won't get to 36. Villa are awful though and need to spend another £100m to do anything other than survive next season.

The teams coming up from the Champs are so far off the pace I think everyone expects at least two of them to go straight back, so existing PL teams only have to be better than one other. It's pretty much already a closed shop.

If Everton do go down they will walk the Champs. But I still think they'll be OK.

If Everton go down there is no chance they’ll walk the championship as they’ll be in complete financial meltdown.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

If Everton go down there is no chance they’ll walk the championship as they’ll be in complete financial meltdown.

It depends upon whether Old Lumpalard can finally get a tune out of those expensive instruments with their fat wage packets.

Edited by BroadstairsR

19 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

I know this seems a long shot but they still have to play Man City and Liverpool. Plus they rather strangely have to play Burnley twice. If they lose to Leicester on Saturday the game against us becomes massive.

And Stuart Webber might fly up Mount Everest. Look I appreciate the effort, but take the idea of it being a long shot and increase it at least tenfold.

On 23/04/2022 at 06:59, BroadstairsR said:

It depends upon whether Old Lumpalard can finally get a tune out of those expensive instruments with their fat wage packets.

No it doesn’t. If they go down their financial problems will be massive is what I said.

On 23/04/2022 at 06:19, Commonsense said:

Anyone who actually believes this doesn't understand how FFP works.

Let's assume that their current proposal to the EPL is accepted about their Covid losses being responsible for breaching FFP. It probably will be - it will be very difficult for the EPL to assess, and everyone else is blaming Covid.

If they keep their current squad together (losing their loans of Ali and Van de Beek) I think we can all agree they will walk the Championship. But to do that, they will have to keep shelling out current wages, which may give them an FFP problem if they fail the first year.

In reality, they will sell two or three, at least. Say Richarlison, Keane and Calvert-Lewin all move on. A combined £100m minimum. That's straight into turnover and gives them enormous flexibility in the market, whilst still maintaining wages for other players. They will be the Man City/Newcastle/Chelse/Liverpool of the Championship. Every player will want to join them in their promotion parade, probably including some of ours. If they were to replace Keane with a £5m bid for Hanley are we likely to stand in his way? £15m for Aarons to replace Coleman? What about £10m for Pukki?

They will hardly lose a game.