Sign in to follow this  
canarybubbles

Placheta

There was a moment in today's game which summed up Placheta. There was a ball down the wing and he used electric speed to get a couple of yards on his defender. It was impressive. But then he didn't have the slightest idea what to do next. He dallied and dithered, the moment was gone, and we lost the ball.

I don't know if it's true that Webber uses spreadsheets and statistics extensively when he is considering recruiting players, but if he does, Placheta provides the perfect example of what is wrong with such an approach.

Just as with Sargent, the eye test would advise against buying.

• Like 1

I’m pretty certain they watch them too. 

I think with placheta they could see the raw potential and backed themselves to coach him to a higher level.

He won’t make it here, time to move him on - prob back to Europe. Don’t want him in the way of Rowe’s development 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

But then he didn't have the slightest idea what to do next. He dallied and dithered, the moment was gone, and we lost the ball.

At the time of this I remember thinking he isn't going to improve in this area as this has been going on for a long time. 

That was a bit of definitive moment for me. Maybe some think he will fair better in the champs. I would move him on.

We have to look in the long term to see the potential in players such as Gibson and Plachenta, they could easily be the star players of the future, given time.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Big O said:

I think with placheta they could see the raw potential and backed themselves to coach him to a higher level.

He won’t make it here, time to move him on - prob back to Europe. Don’t want him in the way of Rowe’s development 

Nail on head. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

There was a moment in today's game which summed up Placheta. There was a ball down the wing and he used electric speed to get a couple of yards on his defender. It was impressive. But then he didn't have the slightest idea what to do next. He dallied and dithered, the moment was gone, and we lost the ball.

I don't know if it's true that Webber uses spreadsheets and statistics extensively when he is considering recruiting players, but if he does, Placheta provides the perfect example of what is wrong with such an approach.

Precisely what I said in another post. He has no footballing brain whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Big O said:

Shouldn’t be allowed to be in the way of Rowe OR Tzolis who I believe has much more of what we had hoped to see from Plachetta and I think will find his feet, hopefully next season.

• Like 1

Hes decent in the championship but the Prem is a step too far for him.. Which is a statement which sums up a lot of our players (looking at you Gibson)

Issue with him is as you said- He has pace, he has quick feet.. But soon as he gets to the box he often gets confused or scared.

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hes decent in the championship but the Prem is a step too far for him.. Which is a statement which sums up a lot of our players (looking at you Gibson)

Issue with him is as you said- He has pace, he has quick feet.. But soon as he gets to the box he often gets confused or scared.

It's worse than that IMO. He has no idea what is happening on the rest of the pitch.

I know I'm a big Pukki fan, but let's make the comparison. Near the end of the game there was a point where Pukki had the ball on the edge of the MU area and there were several Norwich players in the area. One of them on the other edge of the area was unmarked. Pukki passed the ball to him. He was like a chess player who knew where every piece was on the board.

Placheta doesn't even seem to realise there is a board. This will never change. It cannot be trained into him. We should get rid.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Was this the pass from Rashica that ended with Dalot tackling Placheta? If so, the commentator said he should have had a shot with his right foot but wanted to get it onto his left which allowed Dalot to get the tackle in.

2 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Was this the pass from Rashica that ended with Dalot tackling Placheta? If so, the commentator said he should have had a shot with his right foot but wanted to get it onto his left which allowed Dalot to get the tackle in.

No, I remember that moment. This was a different one, much further out on the wing. He couldn't have shot from there, but he could have tried to pick out a Norwich player with a cross.

Although IMO the moment you mention was yet another example of how he has no footballing brain.

• Like 1

He’s needed a loan since he arrived IMO. Guy needs some regular football to show what he can do and get experience. He’s one of those players that maybe will make the grade but we can’t afford to carry him while he learns and therefore he barely gets any time so isn’t developing. Catch-22.

• Like 1

He is more potential than anything but it is not mentioned much that we plucked him from total obscurity a season and half in the polish league not even sure it was top polish league.

He could still come very good.

No idea how those guy didn't get loaned out in the summer. I mean Onel isn't good enough for the prem but he's a damn sight better than Placheta. 

• Like 2

The belief was clearly that Farke could coach some football-knowhow into him. That's never really materialised.

• Like 1

He's just not ever going to be good enough for us, whether we are in the Championship or the Premier League.

Just needs to be written off as one which didn't work out.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Don’t know if it’s true but enough to turn one moment in one game to have a go at Webber. Also we know there is a head of data analysis, they’ve been interviewed on this site. Why is Webber the target for all things transfers? There is a scouting team, and a head of scouting I might add.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

He is more potential than anything but it is not mentioned much that we plucked him from total obscurity a season and half in the polish league not even sure it was top polish league.

He was playing in the Ekstraklasa (Polish top flight).

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Don’t know if it’s true but enough to turn one moment in one game to have a go at Webber. Also we know there is a head of data analysis, they’ve been interviewed on this site. Why is Webber the target for all things transfers? There is a scouting team, and a head of scouting I might add.

Webber is the target because he's the boss and the buck stops with him. Perhaps you don't mind our Sporting Director giving interviews about climbing mountains when our club is going through one of the worst seasons in our history, but I suspect most fans do.

4 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Webber is the target because he's the boss and the buck stops with him. Perhaps you don't mind our Sporting Director giving interviews about climbing mountains when our club is going through one of the worst seasons in our history, but I suspect most fans do.

No I don’t mind. Notice you don’t actually address anything I say. Just admit it was all a thinly veiled Webber moan. How boring.

• Like 1

I addressed your point by saying that Webber is ultimately responsible for the data analyst and the scouting team. Did you address my points about Placheta, or did you simply question whether what I said I had seen in the game was 'true'?

Anyway, there's no point our arguing.  Too many threads on here are spoiled when two people end up in an interminable private conflict. Let's just accept that we have very different opinions (at least on Webber, I have no idea of your opinion of Placheta), and move on.

7 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I addressed your point by saying that Webber is ultimately responsible for the data analyst and the scouting team. Did you address my points about Placheta, or did you simply question whether what I said I had seen in the game was 'true'?

Anyway, there's no point our arguing.  Too many threads on here are spoiled when two people end up in an interminable private conflict. Let's just accept that we have very different opinions (at least on Webber, I have no idea of your opinion of Placheta), and move on.

Can’t fathom why you bothered trying to hide behind the initial thread that you intension was to have a go at Webber. Just write a thread about not liking Webber like the rest. 

So I work for a FTSE100 company, is it the boards fault if I hire the wrong person in my team? No because there is delegation and responsibility shared. If you think our data analyst has done a bad job then say so, this ‘ultimately he is to blame’ nonsense shows a misunderstanding management.

Edited by hertfordyellow

I often think Placheta would be more suited to changing football for athletics, not as much money in it I suppose though.... 

49 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

He'd won caps for Poland at U18, U19, U20, and U21 level before we'd signed him, and had played in the UEFA European U21 Championships in 2019 as the youngest member of the Poland squad, he played as they beat Italy 1-0 and the Italy team contained Gianluca Mancini, Federico Chiesa, Sandro Tonali and Manuel Locatelli.... who were all considered amongst the best young players in world football. 

The team we signed Placheta from, Slask Wroclaw, play in a 45000 seater stadium and have qualified for European competition 6 times in the past decade.

We definitely didn't find Placheta playing park football, even if few would be surprised based on his typical Norwich performances. We certainly won't be getting a seven figure sum back for him, so unfortunately one we'll have to write off as a gamble which didn't come off.

27 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Hmm I remember lots of season worse than this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He'd won caps for Poland at U18, U19, U20, and U21 level before we'd signed him, and had played in the UEFA European U21 Championships in 2019 as the youngest member of the Poland squad, he played as they beat Italy 1-0 and the Italy team contained Gianluca Mancini, Federico Chiesa, Sandro Tonali and Manuel Locatelli.... who were all considered amongst the best young players in world football. 

The team we signed Placheta from, Slask Wroclaw, play in a 45000 seater stadium and have qualified for European competition 6 times in the past decade.

We definitely didn't find Placheta playing park football, even if few would be surprised based on his typical Norwich performances. We certainly won't be getting a seven figure sum back for him, so unfortunately one we'll have to write off as a gamble which didn't come off.

Fair enough but I would consider one season in the polish top flight as obscure.

10 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Can’t fathom why you bothered trying to hide behind the initial thread that you intension was to have a go at Webber. Just write a thread about not liking Webber like the rest. 

So I work for a FTSE100 company, is it the boards fault if I hire the wrong person in my team? No because there is delegation and responsibility shared. If you think our data analyst has done a bad job then say so, this ‘ultimately he is to blame’ nonsense shows a misunderstanding management.

Just a small quote from the guy himself.

"Ultimately, I'm the one who sits at the top of the football side of the business and the buck stops with me."

• Like 2