Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pukki contact with celta vigo

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Since his 29 goals and 26 goals basically got us promoted in 2018/19 and 2020/21 respectively, I'd say his cost per goal in the past has been pretty good.

As for those who say he hasn't delivered in the Prem, he's actually scored half of our goals this season if you take OG out of the equation. If all of those wonderful new recruits had added just two or three goals each, we wouldn't be where we are now.

It bugs me that there are fans who cream themselves about Normann who has boasted and posed and delivered almost nothing, or find excuses for Cantwell for stamping his feet and downing tools, but are then ready to discard a player who has scored almost 20 goals a season for us over four years and has been a model professional throughout. (I am not saying that you are one of these fans; let me make it clear that this comment is not aimed at you but at a minority of posters who don't know what they've got till it's gone, to quote Joni Mitchell.)

100%. Pukki has been failed this season by recruitment and his teammates IMO.

19 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Since his 29 goals and 26 goals basically got us promoted in 2018/19 and 2020/21 respectively, I'd say his cost per goal in the past has been pretty good.

As for those who say he hasn't delivered in the Prem, he's actually scored half of our goals this season if you take OG out of the equation. If all of those wonderful new recruits had added just two or three goals each, we wouldn't be where we are now.

It bugs me that there are fans who cream themselves about Normann who has boasted and posed and delivered almost nothing, or find excuses for Cantwell for stamping his feet and downing tools, but are then ready to discard a player who has scored almost 20 goals a season for us over four years and has been a model professional throughout. (I am not saying that you are one of these fans; let me make it clear that this comment is not aimed at you but at a minority of posters who don't know what they've got till it's gone, to quote Joni Mitchell.)

I’m not sure anyone really wants to discard Pukki, most of us would love him to stay, but if the opportunity was there and he decided he wanted that chance, I’d wish him well, as you say he’s been a model pro. They’re a mid table decent club in top flight Spain. Can’t compete with that if they really wanted him.

Just now, Indy said:

I’m not sure anyone really wants to discard Pukki, most of us would love him to stay, but if the opportunity was there and he decided he wanted that chance, I’d wish him well, as you say he’s been a model pro. They’re a mid table decent club in top flight Spain. Can’t compete with that if they really wanted him.

I'd wish him well, too, believe me. For us as fans, though, it would be the final act of a disastrous season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

He's only just turned 32 so I reckon another decent championship season can be comfortably be squeezed out of him.

The cost per goal does have to be looked at if his salary will climb to what has been claimed for next season. 

Pay him the 60k a week, which it supposedly is and not 50k a week, £3m. What player are you going to get who's fee and wages are £3m over a season.

Trigger the 1 year and if he's adamant he wants to leave then at least we can get a few million for him. If he stays for the season and it doesn't go well (don't go up) then let him go on a free next summer.

Needs to sign a new contract.

While I absolutely love Pukki and want him to see out his time here, if he doesn’t sign a new deal we face losing him for nothing next summer and having a massive hole to fill.

If he doesn’t I wouldn’t be surprised if a decent offer comes in we sell unfortunately. Just don’t see that offer coming considering his wage and the fact presumably no one came in for him last time we were relegated.

• Like 1

This would be the cheery on the cake of the season if we let him go this summer. He's almost 32 so any transfer fee is going to be minimal. 

Look at what 5m got us last time round with Hugill! There is not a chance in hell we could replace Pukki's goal next season if we let him go. 

To be honest, Pukki and Krul are the only 2 players in our current squad I can really get behind. It's slightly worrying both have been linked with moves away already. I'm hoping their ages will prevent that. 

As an aside, I suspect we could be in for Keinen Davis this summer. Hes done a very decent job at Forrest according to my Nottingham supporting friends. A front three of Pukki, Idah and Davies should be good enough going into the new season.

Just now, priceyrice said:

This would be the cheery on the cake of the season if we let him go this summer. He's almost 32 so any transfer fee is going to be minimal. 

Look at what 5m got us last time round with Hugill! There is not a chance in hell we could replace Pukki's goal next season if we let him go. 

To be honest, Pukki and Krul are the only 2 players in our current squad I can really get behind. It's slightly worrying both have been linked with moves away already. I'm hoping their ages will prevent that. 

As an aside, I suspect we could be in for Keinen Davis this summer. Hes done a very decent job at Forrest according to my Nottingham supporting friends. A front three of Pukki, Idah and Davies should be good enough going into the new season.

Barring Krul, Hanley, Omobamidele, Idah, Pukki I wouldn't be sad to see any of the others go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Barring Krul, Hanley, Omobamidele, Idah, Pukki I wouldn't be sad to see any of the others go.

I sort of agree. I'm sure we will find some love again for some of the others next season but there's just a real disconnect between fans, the club and players at the moment. 

Aarons is a strange one as on his day he is a top player, I do wonder if anyone will come in for him at the money we want after 2 relegations from the prem.

Rashica has shown sparks this season and I suspect he would do very well in the championship. Suspect he will be driving for a move though. 

I'd be a little suspicious about this in that I am sure it was said that he was in talks with the club at the moment - as in NCFC. I wonder if this is the way of his agent trying to apply a bit of pressure on the club.

I'm pretty sure the rumoured one year option wouldn't be ideal for either party if he is to remain, though it is rumoured to be on good wages - £50kpw if accurate.

Pukki may well take less if given a longer contract. I'm also not convinced he is motivated purely by money either. There was interest from Man Utd last time we were in the prem, for example. 

8 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I sort of agree. I'm sure we will find some love again for some of the others next season but there's just a real disconnect between fans, the club and players at the moment. 

Aarons is a strange one as on his day he is a top player, I do wonder if anyone will come in for him at the money we want after 2 relegations from the prem.

Rashica has shown sparks this season and I suspect he would do very well in the championship. Suspect he will be driving for a move though. 

Rashica and Tzolis should tear up that division in reality. That's if Rashica stays, I'm sure there will be some interest. Hopefully Giannoulis & Tzolis can relive their PAOK link up. I agree that we will find some love for some of these though, just hard to have it now.

I'm just not one of these people who want to see the likes of Hernandez, Hugill etc back playing for us. Were only bit part players last time for us and both had a loan at a top 6 'contender' cut short and had to go to sides in the bottom 8 of the table.

Just now, chicken said:

I'd be a little suspicious about this in that I am sure it was said that he was in talks with the club at the moment - as in NCFC. I wonder if this is the way of his agent trying to apply a bit of pressure on the club.

I'm pretty sure the rumoured one year option wouldn't be ideal for either party if he is to remain, though it is rumoured to be on good wages - £50kpw if accurate.

Pukki may well take less if given a longer contract. I'm also not convinced he is motivated purely by money either. There was interest from Man Utd last time we were in the prem, for example. 

The pinkun journos and Michael Bailey have all said its more around the 60k mark. No word he's in talks with the club regarding a new contract. It's more the club just trigger the extra year when they want to, same as Cantwell.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

So he's likely not leaving, so why put the headline "Pukki leaving"??

Clearly Celta Vigo will pay £5 million or so to their top earners albeit that some of the rest look very modest. Not sure how you can be sure he won't be tempted.

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

We'd have to pay a hell of a lot more to sign an equivalent and their wages on top of that.

If he wants £50k a week he can have it as far as I'm concerned. I suppose the other players might pout a bit.

Agreed. But in my opinion, Hanley and Krul are the only ones who can sit beside him at the negotiating table.

Edited by CirclePoint

9 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

The pinkun journos and Michael Bailey have all said its more around the 60k mark. No word he's in talks with the club regarding a new contract. It's more the club just trigger the extra year when they want to, same as Cantwell.

There is absolutely no way we will pay any player £60k per week in The Chumpionship IMO. If we do then it completely destroys our 'wage cap' stance in the PL surely when (allegedly) we told J King to 'go away' at wage demand of same amount!  

26 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

It was the Athletic that said it was £50k... And again, it was from another source that he is in talks with the club. I doubt that is fake. The option is our trigger to pull, but that doesn't mean they won't be talking about his wishes beyond this season.

Oddly, they can trigger that at any time I believe, but not having done so yet, it does mean that Pukki has been able to speak to other interested parties since January.

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

It was the Athletic that said it was £50k... And again, it was from another source that he is in talks with the club. I doubt that is fake. The option is our trigger to pull, but that doesn't mean they won't be talking about his wishes beyond this season.

Oddly, they can trigger that at any time I believe, but not having done so yet, it does mean that Pukki has been able to speak to other interested parties since January.

Ah yes, Michael Bailey said he was on 50k it was on the pinkun q&a they said he was on more.

4 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Ah yes, Michael Bailey said he was on 50k it was on the pinkun q&a they said he was on more.

Honestly, I trust Bailey more.

6 hours ago, Mengo said:

Screenshot_20220406-121452_Chrome.jpg

This is very interesting. I suspect their overall wage bill is no more than ours but has quite a substantial variance between players. If that is the case maybe NCFC should ask themselves whether we should be a little less egalitarian.

Other sources quote one of the most famous players Aspas as 34 years old. He has a fantastic goalscoring record but apparently could be facing a 12 match ban for calling into question the integrity of referees.

So if Pukki and his agent want 60k a week next season in the champ and he delivers again then excellent and it works for all parties. 

If he demands that or he leaves when he's offered 50k a week still then I would suggest fans not get too sentimental.

I'm not a fan of players getting greedy when fans treat them as legends. 

10 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

So if Pukki and his agent want 60k a week next season in the champ and he delivers again then excellent and it works for all parties. 

If he demands that or he leaves when he's offered 50k a week still then I would suggest fans not get too sentimental.

That may well be a fair point. That said goalscorers attract premium prices so it is a value judgement the Club has to make. Ditto for Pukki. He could use Aspas's wages as a guide but they would be very big boots to fill at Celta Vigo.

33 minutes ago, essex canary said:

This is very interesting. I suspect their overall wage bill is no more than ours but has quite a substantial variance between players. If that is the case maybe NCFC should ask themselves whether we should be a little less egalitarian.

Other sources quote one of the most famous players Aspas as 34 years old. He has a fantastic goalscoring record but apparently could be facing a 12 match ban for calling into question the integrity of referees.

Yes see what you mean about his age . Most sources say 34. So I think this site has misprinted 🤭

32 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

It's not a case of him demanding 50/60k a week etc. His current contract is on that amount so if we want to trigger the automatic one year renewal it will be renewed on the wage he's currently on. I don't think he's going to say 'don't pay me that just give me 25k a week for the next year'.

The club might be able to do a deal and he signs a new 2 year contract on say 40k a week. Time will tell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Pukki told in Finnish interview during international break that there has been no discussions about new contract with club so far. Se focus has been purely on this season. However, he expected that there will be some discussions in near future

8 hours ago, Move Klose said:

It's not a case of him demanding 50/60k a week etc. His current contract is on that amount so if we want to trigger the automatic one year renewal it will be renewed on the wage he's currently on. I don't think he's going to say 'don't pay me that just give me 25k a week for the next year'.

The club might be able to do a deal and he signs a new 2 year contract on say 40k a week. Time will tell.

I think you were right the first time round.

Perhaps the Celta Vigo connection is Teemu's insurance policy against the latter as they would almost certainly top 40k a week.

Love the idea of any player trying to sit down and negotiate a better contract just because Pukki is on £50/60k a week. One of the only players who can take some positives from this season.

Im sure Webber can put together a lowlights video from this season for just about everyone else before agreeing on their even larger relegation pay cut. 😆 hell even a highlights video would demonstrably show the total lack of anything good from this season…

Hanley and Krul might come close, but in all honestly those two are much more replaceable than Pukki. Gunn and Omobamidele are also much better alternatives already in the building, no one comes close to replacing Pukki right now.

The only other one would be Rashica, but I would be inclined to wait and see how he performs in the champs before agreeing a wage close to Pukki’s - if he even wants to stay… 

13 hours ago, Ian said:

100%. Pukki has been failed this season by recruitment and his teammates IMO.

Absolutely. 

Pukki is a limited player, but play to his strengths, he can be unplayable. The only current player capable of 'releasing' Pukki, IMO, is Dowell as a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1. 

43 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Absolutely. 

Pukki is a limited player, but play to his strengths, he can be unplayable. The only current player capable of 'releasing' Pukki, IMO, is Dowell as a number 10 in a 4-2-3-1. 

Agreed re Dowell. Problem is he has slipped right down (if not 'out of') Smith's pecking order of midfielders.

Pukki isn't going to move country for less than a 2yr contract, possibly even 3. We'll have to match it. Tough decision for NCFC as it's going to restrict what we can do elsewhere to strengthen the squad.