KeiranShikari

Building a team around Gilmour and McLean

Just now, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Our 5th and 6th best central midfielders 

Lower if you include the U23s and U18s 😉

• Haha 1

To be fair to McLean he’s had a few decent games but over the season he’s more of a liability than an asset! Overrated and loved by our coaches! I’m lost to see why, maybe they like the wavy arm midfielders!

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Been injured the entire season.

But for two months between mid-September and mid-November, he was comfortably our best player. 

After Normann, it's tough to decide who is the best/worst between McLean, Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Rupp and Sorensen. Sorensen generally gets the nod as 'best of the rest', but that's purely because he has played the least and has therefore not been tainted by some of the awful team performances this season.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

To be fair to McLean he’s had a few decent games but over the season he’s more of a liability than an asset! Overrated and loved by our coaches! I’m lost to see why, maybe they like the wavy arm midfielders!

It's just the lack of anyone better to replace him. He isn't good enough, but who is?

13 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But for two months between mid-September and mid-November, he was comfortably our best player. 

After Normann, it's tough to decide who is the best/worst between McLean, Gilmour, Lees-Melou, Rupp and Sorensen. Sorensen generally gets the nod as 'best of the rest', but that's purely because he has played the least and has therefore not been tainted by some of the awful team performances this season.

Comfortably our best player? Based on what? Genuine question - I just can't see it. Also, we didn't win a game in that period. Which says it all, really. 

Except the 2-1 against Brentford..  and Gilmour wasn't on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Comfortably our best player? Based on what? Genuine question - I just can't see it. Also, we didn't win a game in that period. Which says it all, really. 

He's on about Normann 

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

You realise we were talking about Normann, right?

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

He's on about Normann 

Ah, my mistake. Normann has shown touches of class, but his injury record is poor and he seems like Hanley in that he needs 4-5 games to get back up to full speed.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You realise we were talking about Normann, right?

Yes, I do now. My mistake - apologies. It's 7am here and after a few bottles of Guinness and staying up all night to watch that dross clearly I need to go to sleep!

44 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Gilmour is good in possession

I don't see it. He can't (hasn't) looked to play anyone in or thread a pass or bring the ball out of defence. Plus he seems to give the ball away or get caught in possession too often.

Look, play Sorenson to give us a base, then all the other creative sods will be more effective   it ain't rocket science Smith!

• Like 2

I honestly cant understand how one of McLean and Gilmour keep gettng played let alone both togethe. 

Both are totally ineffective and in fact a liability.

I'd start Rupp, Sorrenson, PLM, Byram, Kabak, Gianaloulis, Dowell and even a cant be assed Cantwell over both of them.

McLean in particular is the best exmple of why we are perfomring so poorly .... a player totally out of his class who offers nothing but poiting and moaning.

• Like 1

Its quite clear that McLean keeps getting game time because he's better than the majority of our midfielders over a wider range of skill sets. In reality he is average at all of them at this level but that still puts him above most in our squad.

He is a favourite to hate on but he was probably our best midfielder against Liverpool last week.

Gilmour is a bit harder to defend because unless he's retaining possession for us well or creating he has no other assets- he can't tackle,  he can't win things in the air and has no physical presence.

We have missed Rupp quite a bit but then he was ridiculed and sh*t on by a lot of our fans at different points too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Our 5th and 6th best central midfielders 

I’m better than McLean and I’ve never played football at any particular level. 

1 hour ago, rock bus said:

I honestly cant understand how one of McLean and Gilmour keep gettng played let alone both togethe. 

Both are totally ineffective and in fact a liability.

I'd start Rupp, Sorrenson, PLM, Byram, Kabak, Gianaloulis, Dowell and even a cant be assed Cantwell over both of them.

McLean in particular is the best exmple of why we are perfomring so poorly .... a player totally out of his class who offers nothing but poiting and moaning.

He has developed an interesting exasperated two-footed leap everytime he loses possession too!    Getting to the point where it looks like he’s on a pogo-stick!

I'm not picking on either of them particularly but I don't want to see their names together on the team sheet again. One or t'other but not together.

Kenny in his post-football career as an aircraft marshal (with wee Billy removing the chocks) might work. 

image.thumb.png.671b97a93f10b4e07d711d7264d80d94.png

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Its quite clear that McLean keeps getting game time because he's better than the majority of our midfielders over a wider range of skill sets. In reality he is average at all of them at this level but that still puts him above most in our squad.

He is a favourite to hate on but he was probably our best midfielder against Liverpool last week.

Gilmour is a bit harder to defend because unless he's retaining possession for us well or creating he has no other assets- he can't tackle,  he can't win things in the air and has no physical presence.

We have missed Rupp quite a bit but then he was ridiculed and sh*t on by a lot of our fans at different points too.

This is unfortunately correct, and a sad sad state of affairs for which Webber and Co. need to be held accountable. 

McLean to anyone with any knowledge is just not anywhere near a Premier league footballer, the fact we still have no option to be 1st choice is an utter shambles. 

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Our best midfield performance of the season ..at home to Everton didnt feature McLean at all

The midfield duo of Sorenson and Lees Melou that day showed that they were better than McLean in their disciplines, Sorenson defensively and Lees Melou ,box to box...McLean is a jack of all trades and master of none

My preferred midfield would be Sorenson screening with Normann and Lees Melou further forward..Gilmour mught be more effectuve if he had the protection of Sorenson / Normann behind him

McLean shouldnt be near a first XI ..even Rupp should be ahead of him

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

He has developed an interesting exasperated two-footed leap everytime he loses possession too!    Getting to the point where it looks like he’s on a pogo-stick!

I've  noticed that too, it's very peculiar,  at times  , when he does that,  he reminds me of the fake cop mannequins  that used to be by the side of the road in Germany. Very odd.