Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Roy Hodgson is back!

Watch Fwank Lampawd become the top choice only to then refuse the job as it does not meet what hes after.

Fast forward to the year 2050

At the age of 72 Fwank has not settled on the correct managerial position for him since leaving Chelsea. The ex England international says "I dont want to damage my reputation and relevance to the game.  Fwank Lampard's England has a nice ring to it......"

Edited by Nexus_Canary

It's bad news if Roy gets the job, as while he's not a 'sexy' name, he'll get them grinding out results...

Not great for us Watford changing again. Sooner or later you’d hope it catches up with them but they can’t keep clean sheets so Hodgson might be what they need. 

They must have had enough new manager bounces to get into the Europa League!

Hodgson is one appointment I didn't want them to make though.

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

They must have had enough new manager bounces to get into the Europa League!

Hodgson is one appointment I didn't want them to make though.

Agreed. Shrewd on their part. I was hoping it’d be someone with little experience. 

Well, he can't keep rescuing teams in trouble forever.  He's stepping in here later than normal, generally it takes a bit of time before he gets a team playing the way he wants (proverbial turning oil tanker).  So my bet is by end of season they will be more difficult to beat, which may be good for us having played them twice, but they may be too far behind by then!

All to play for.

The thing is, the 2 players they have brought in so far in January to strengthen their defence were both playing against us and don’t look like an improvement. I guess it is early days but I don’t see this appointment saving them.

56 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Well, he can't keep rescuing teams in trouble forever.  He's stepping in here later than normal, generally it takes a bit of time before he gets a team playing the way he wants (proverbial turning oil tanker).  So my bet is by end of season they will be more difficult to beat, which may be good for us having played them twice, but they may be too far behind by then!

All to play for.

This. It caught up with Allardyce last year and I reckon it will Hodgson this time.

And there was me thinking that Woy was a friend of Delia.

Perhaps he's been trained as our next agent

Edited by Making Plans

27 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

And there was me thinking that Woy was a friend of Delia.

Perhaps he's been trained as our next agent

But his first name isn't Paul?

Do you get a new manager bounce out of 30+ year old players? I think that's more their issue. Foster, Femenia, cathcart, kabasele, rose, cleverley, sissoko, King - all 30 or over - it's an aging squad who will be a bit more resistant to change and have their own ideas. Their only hope is getting Sarr back into the side, the manager is irrelevant. 

Long may their model continue to reap absolutely nothing but spazz Pozzo's cash up the wall.

Those are remarkably consistent W/D/L ratios across all his premiership jobs. No standouts but good consistency... Let's hope Watford is an outlier!

14 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

The thing is, the 2 players they have brought in so far in January to strengthen their defence were both playing against us and don’t look like an improvement. I guess it is early days but I don’t see this appointment saving them.

Bump !

Due to the farce around Covid postponments they still have to play Burnley twice. Roy's first match in charge is Burnley away I think.

They've very few home games in the next two months. It's going to be very tough for them.

I’m so tired of this “firefighter” routine that clubs have tried in the past. This management merry go round of the Allardyces and Hodgsons of the world in order to stay in the Premier League. Watford are especially culpable of it. I hope this time it doesn’t work out for them and they revise their BS model. We might laugh at it but it really is part if what’s wrong with premier league football. 

It genuinely makes me laugh too that Hodgson was “retired” but just had to come out of retirement because the siren’s call to Watford was too much to turn down.…

You can imagine the voice over for a crap action movie now… “they all thought Hodgson was retired.. but he had one last job to do… AT WATFORD!” 

14 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Those are remarkably consistent W/D/L ratios across all his premiership jobs. No standouts but good consistency... Let's hope Watford is an outlier!

It implies if his previous form continues they will get another 26 points (7 wins 5 draws 9 defeats).  That would take them to 40 points and thus would survive comfortably. 

But as I mentioned above, his teams do tend to be slow starters, with his stats being a function of later good runs.  Roy tends not to get sacked for a poor run of form, but for his teams not pushing on and improving win percentages, thus seen as making little improvement.

Hodgson is Watford's 6th manager since they last got a clean sheet in the PL!

5 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I’m so tired of this “firefighter” routine that clubs have tried in the past. This management merry go round of the Allardyces and Hodgsons of the world in order to stay in the Premier League. Watford are especially culpable of it. I hope this time it doesn’t work out for them and they revise their BS model. We might laugh at it but it really is part if what’s wrong with premier league football. 

It genuinely makes me laugh too that Hodgson was “retired” but just had to come out of retirement because the siren’s call to Watford was too much to turn down.…

You can imagine the voice over for a crap action movie now… “they all thought Hodgson was retired.. but he had one last job to do… AT WATFORD!” 

Of the 15 permanent managers that the owners have appointed since taking over, only 3 could be described as managers on the merry go round as you describe-most of them have been young and complete unknowns before they were appointed.

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Of the 15 permanent managers that the owners have appointed since taking over, only 3 could be described as managers on the merry go round as you describe-most of them have been young and complete unknowns before they were appointed.

That’s still three more than us.