Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Should we be accepting of the clubs' lack of transfers?

The likelihood is we will go down even with a quality CDM that we throw millions of pounds at then pay a ridiculous wage. 

I don't think anyone is that bothered because the idea is a non starter. 

Assuming we could even get a player that could make a difference it's financial suicide. 

Then if we are relegated which is a high probability we have a player that's cost a fair few million and is eating up a large part of the wage bill. 

Unless an absolute gem is unturned at a cheap price then what is the point? When digging around the bargain basement you never know what you're going to get. Often it's a dud or someone injury prone. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

We're the only club at this level who's fans totally **** their pants at the idea of spending £10m or so on a player.

Honestly if one signing in this window could potentially bankrupt us then we're clearly not that well run are we...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Right!

And if enough ST holders do it that could  make a real difference to the kitty. Fan power!

Agreed, the club will only take note if there is a significant number of fans who do not renew their season ticket. Personally cannot see that happening. Even if those "protesting" on the various internet platforms amounts to a considerable number if that does not translate into lost season ticket renewals  then no matter how loud people shout on here/FB/Twitter etc, it really will not matter a jot...........

Dean Smith and Shakey are the best signings we have made in a long time. Struggling players under Farke are being reborn and now survival seems within reach.

Tippy tappy is dead and guts and energy are bringing back some Englishness to our game.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

3. I find it ironic that some of those who have said months ago that we are certainly relegated, and several saying we would be with a record points low, now want us to spend for presumably no purpose at all.

Very valid point, though I suppose they would claim to be 'happily wrong 'should the  club 'spend enough to survive'......as if survival in what is the bubbliest of football bubbles is remotely related to actual survival as a footy club.

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

We're the only club at this level who's fans totally **** their pants at the idea of spending £10m or so on a player.

Honestly if one signing in this window could potentially bankrupt us then we're clearly not that well run are we...

Its ridiculous isn't, and holding us back.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't know if anybody thinks the latter (which I have emboldened)-

1. We almost certainly have borrowed money this year

2. Nobody wants relegation - it is not a question of fans "accepting it" as there is nothing they can do. 

3. I find it ironic that some of those who have said months ago that we are certainly relegated, and several saying we would be with a record points low, now want us to spend for presumably no purpose at all.

4. For my part, and I suspect for many others, we would be pleased if we were able to get a couple of outstanding additions but we are realistic enough to recognise that the odds of doing so are against us. What we don't want to do is spend more money just for the sake of it on players that won't improve us.

3. Absolutely no one wants us to spend for no purpose. Silly statement which is not supported by any facts. Lots have said we need to spend on a central defensive midfielder and a striker and watching us that is plain to see.

Anyway, our owners don't have the cash flow and are happy with that so I doubt we will see any significant movement in this transfer window.. lets hope Dean Smith and co can work wonders with Webbers weapons...

58 minutes ago, king canary said:

I dont think anyone * their pants. We would all be delighted if they found the right player for that money. Its just some accept finding one who improves us with that amount of money in the January window is unlikely.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

We've got options on both Kabak and Normann I believe. 

I thought they were obligations, not options.

If we stay up we have to sign them permanently?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, king canary said:

This, we get parachute payments if we get relegated and we sold our best player for around half what we spent. 

If the coffers are so empty we can’t take even a relatively modest risk that indicates to me we are terrible at structuring deals at this level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

This, we get parachute payments if we get relegated and we sold our best player for around half what we spent. 

If the coffers are so empty we can’t take even a relatively modest risk that indicates to me we are terrible at structuring deals at this level. 

And if our Sporting Director is as good as some want to make out, surely they wouldn't be sh*tting themselves at spending £10m as he'd surely buy somebody that we could sell for at least £10m after relegation, should we be relegated?

Or is this an admission from those people that it isn't spending £10m that worries them, its the lack of faith they have in the person who would be selecting the player it was spent on, in light of Josh Sargent costing £8.8m rising to £11m, and because they know deep down that we've only made a transfer profit on one Webber signing so far. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

And if our Sporting Director is as good as some want to make out, surely they wouldn't be sh*tting themselves at spending £10m as he'd surely buy somebody that we could sell for at least £10m after relegation?

Or is this an admission from those people that it isn't spending £10m that worries them, its the lack of faith they have in the person who would be selecting the player it was spent on, in light of Josh Sargent costing £8.8m rising to £11m. 

That’s a great point, over to the accountants and apologists to answer that one. 

Totally - and the irony is that this is actually much less than the going rate for a decent premiership player! And that’s before we even discuss wages

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That’s a great point, over to the accountants and apologists to answer that one. 

It is only a great point if it the "****ting their pants" is a fact rather than an opinion. Lots of confusion between facts and opinions on this message board I know............

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

As the title suggests, there seems to be very little dissent on here with regards to our total lack of business and seeming lack of desire to bolster this window. I don't wish to open a can of worms, but how can anyone think that 'going what we've got' is our best or only option? Surely with the position we are in right now, we needed to be desperate to bring in 1 or 2 improvements.

I understand and support the model for the most part, but not to this degree. An extra few points could easily be the difference between going down and staying up. 

Could spending £7-£10 million on a CDM cause THAT much damage if it went **** up? If we buy an up-and-coming player, or one of say 25-26, what is the worst case scenario if he flops at our club for half a season having previously had a good reputation at previous clubs? We'd probably still recoup a decent chunk of the money in the summer, or have a good option in the champs next year.

Is a total avoidance of any kind of debt financing / structured payments the best way? Or is there a better balance of risk and reward than the apparent '0 risk for 0 reward' mantra we currently abide by?  

But forgetting all that for a second, does anyone really think its correct for Gilmour to stay for the rest of the season? I personally would've sent him back on 01 Jan and looked to replace him with someone totally different. I can't wrap my head around why we haven't, he has looked out of place in this team from day 1 and that hasn't changed a jot. 

Even Kabak is effectively a wasted loan spot at this point, he's undoubtedly our fourth choice CB so basically just a reserve player - hell even Sorensen done better than him at CB. If you want to keep Gilmour then why not send Kabak back? We've got Zimmerman to come back in as a back up option too.

I'm just a bit baffled by it all. I can forgive the lack of spending on a permanent signing, although I don't agree with it, but the failure to act in the loan market is hugely disappointing and devoid of logic based on what we've seen on the pitch this season.

Our club has no genuine ambition to stay in the PL. You know how it is we sell our best players to fund buying worse ones

Most of what we spent in the summer was from the Buendia sale , once again Norwich get to the promised land and once again they are the only club that doesn’t benefit from it . The owners are like a lead weight around the neck of a drowning man .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Most of what we spent in the summer was from the Buendia sale , once again Norwich get to the promised land and once again they are the only club that doesn’t benefit from it . The owners are like a lead weight around the neck of a drowning man .

Haha what? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, City 101 said:

Bang on the money. Some (normal suspects) will disagree with you but to be fair to them most have been on here since 8am and are knackered. Your not allowed to mention the sales btw. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Well if any current NCFC Board member ever had the misfortune to sh!t their pants. I'm pretty sure there would be an immediate cluster of club sycophantic fan-folk on this here forum, who'd be with devoted determination, literally clawing and climbing over each other whilst tightly clutching toilet rolls, baby wipes, soapy sponges, talc, pile cream and spare clean underwear an' all screaming 'me me me, please let me wipe' to the unfortunate 'oops I seem to have touched cloth' board member.....FACTOMUNDO! ....You betcha!....

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Well if any current NCFC Board member ever had the misfortune to sh!t their pants. I'm pretty sure there would be an immediate cluster of club sycophantic fan-folk on this here forum, who'd be with devoted determination, literally clawing and climbing over each other whilst tightly clutching toilet rolls, baby wipes, soapy sponges, talc, pile cream and spare clean underwear an' all screaming 'me me me, please let me wipe' to the unfortunate 'oops I seem to have touched cloth' board member.....FACTOMUNDO! ....You betcha!....

Hoggy’s family, so he gets first wipe. 

8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Hoggy’s family, so he gets first wipe. 

Is injured Timmy Krul left of right handed?.....In his current state, he may need a bit of assistance after a bowel evacuation?......

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Is injured Timmy Krul left of right handed?.....In his current state, he may need a bit of assistance after a bowel evacuation?......

Hoggy can multitask and wipe them both at the same time. You can actually picture it if you think deeply. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

2 hours ago, king canary said:

As if it's as simple as that. What a daft post.

Edited by Chelm Canary

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It is only a great point if it the "****ting their pants" is a fact rather than an opinion. Lots of confusion between facts and opinions on this message board I know............

Ain't that the truth.

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

In your distorted opinion. 

So if it's not the truth it must be SOB's distorted opinion. 

Edited by nutty nigel

11 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Anyway, our owners don't have the cash flow and are happy with that so I doubt we will see any significant movement in this transfer window.. lets hope Dean Smith and co can work wonders with Webbers weapons...

So you are going to accept it then...?

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or is this an admission from those people that it isn't spending £10m that worries them, its the lack of faith they have in the person who would be selecting the player it was spent on, in light of Josh Sargent costing £8.8m rising to £11m, and because they know deep down that we've only made a transfer profit on one Webber signing so far. 

If I thought that spending £10 million on a CDM that would definitely improve our team, I would certainly support it, as I'm sure nearly everybody would. The issue is that you can't make such a guarantee. £10 million for a premier league quality defensive midfielder who would be "hit-the-ground ready" and prepared to come to a club that are favourites for promotion would be a challenge to any scout.

It is the childish lack of realism exemplified by the recent infantile "joking" over toilet behaviour that separates the sensible majority from those on here that exist in a rather more simplistic world.