cambridgeshire canary

So is Putin going to invade Ukraine anytime soon or..?

Just now, Foxy2600 said:
3 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

All those Brexit/Covid-stashed bog rolls, dried pasta and tins of corned beef...he knew they would come in handy eventually? 🤔🤣

Apples Brexit 

Eh?

A pertinent & thoughtful quote I just saw - 

"The human race is a race between education and catastrophe."
H.G. Wells

• Like 3

Amid of this horror it should not be forgotten how Trump’s manoeuvrings over Ukraine deliberately undermined Zelensky and his government and equally deliberately boosted Putin, to the  cost of the US and western democracy. Johnson is a lying charlatan but Trump committed treason.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

A pertinent & thoughtful quote I just saw - 

"The human race is a race between education and catastrophe."
H.G. Wells

E P Thompson quote I saw today..."the trouble is that scientifically we live in the nuclear age but emotionally too many are still in the stone age" 😐

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

All those Brexit/Covid-stashed bog rolls, dried pasta and tins of corned beef...he knew they would come in handy eventually? 🤔🤣

Apples

IMG_20220301_204739.jpg

• Haha 2

Here we go with the Gallows Humour to make us feel better and see the funny side, just like with Covid. Don’t work with me that don’t.

Covid seems like such a blur now and that isn’t because of Russia, but the fact it just feels so two years ago now and even before this war was declared, it started to feel that way. With this war however, it won’t feel like one when it’s over.

Thank F u c k bitcoin still propping up a Totalitarian 

Authoritarian

Fascist 

Regime….

so glad 

thanks RT 

435E2081-535E-4687-83F0-696C146B6988.jpeg

9 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

Here we go with the Gallows Humour to make us feel better and see the funny side, just like with Covid. Don’t work with me that don’t.

Covid seems like such a blur now and that isn’t because of Russia, but the fact it just feels so two years ago now and even before this war was declared, it started to feel that way. With this war however, it won’t feel like one when it’s over.

Think it is a sardonic kind of humour rather than gallows Kernow. We start to see the back of something that has been life changing for many and its affect will be around much longer yet and then along comes Putin.

Nothing much about any of this can make anyone feel better but there are things you can't change or influence.😔

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Thank F u c k bitcoin still propping up a Totalitarian 

Authoritarian

Fascist 

Regime….

so glad 

thanks RT 

435E2081-535E-4687-83F0-696C146B6988.jpeg

Crypto has always been about "democratisation" of currency. Ironic that like many things in this world it has been so easily coopted. 

*Also it tulip mania for the 21st century. I suppose it could be worse, it could be NFTs.

3 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Crypto has always been about "democratisation" of currency. Ironic that like many things in this world it has been so easily coopted. 

*Also it tulip mania for the 21st century. I suppose it could be worse, it could be NFTs.

Nope, lost???

send tanks to Kiev 

33 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Nope, lost???

send tanks to Kiev 

Fair enough. Except I don't think Kyiv wants tanks.

38 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

send tanks to Kiev 

Send Putin to St Helena.

And make him lick the wallpaper.

This is the most dangerous time for Putin for years. Troops aren't keen to fight, populace dont want the sanctions, Ukraine isnt occupiable, costs of the war are ridiculous and they have had to admit it's a war on TV. 

• Like 2

The better half is worried we will start joining this war and I’ll be sent out to Ukraine.

I keep telling her it won’t happen, but she’s worried. Does anyone on here know for a fact I cannot be sent out if Boris sends troops out?, I always thought it was only those enlisted in the armed forces who can, but apparently any male considered in the age range can and I’ll be trained up if I am.

20 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

The better half is worried we will start joining this war and I’ll be sent out to Ukraine.

I keep telling her it won’t happen, but she’s worried. Does anyone on here know for a fact I cannot be sent out if Boris sends troops out?, I always thought it was only those enlisted in the armed forces who can, but apparently any male considered in the age range can and I’ll be trained up if I am.

And there’s the issue, Russians don’t want to fight nor do we, so send in Putin let him fight and not hide!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KernowCanary said:

It's highly unlikely. Technically speaking it's not impossible, parliament could pass a law drafting only dark haired, blue eyed, accordion players with a wart on their ear if it wished.

However we can also die being hit by a bus or of a previously undiscovered peanut allergy, so I would say cross that bridge if (unlikely though it maybe), we come to it.

Edited by 1902
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Indy said:

And there’s the issue, Russians don’t want to fight nor do we, so send in Putin let him fight and not hide!

I wonder if we're closer to the Russian army mutining than we thought?

Every day this goes on whispers and discontent will be being fed back from the front lines that all is not as it seems.

Then again I'm probably being over optimistic.

7 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

Don't panic, they'd probably start with reservists first. But we thank you in advance for your bravery... 

Edited by Fuzzar

9 hours ago, 1902 said:

Technically speaking it's not impossible, parliament could pass a law drafting only dark haired, blue eyed, accordion players with a wart on their ear if it wished.

Oh, b0llox

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

The days of conscription are over. We have enough well trained military in this country to more than cope with what would be required in a ground war.

• Like 2

On 02/03/2022 at 09:55, keelansgrandad said:

The days of conscription are over. We have enough well trained military in this country to more than cope with what would be required in a ground war.

Edited by The Real Buh

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

We used to..

Fairly sure the army have complained they don't have enough tanks, the air force don't have enough planes and the navy don't have enough anti-ship missiles...

Isn't Johnson on record saying the days of "tank battles in Europe" are long gone, from about 3-4 months ago?

Edited by kirku
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kirku said:

Isn't Johnson on record saying the days of "tank battles in Europe" are long gone, from about 3-4 months ago?

This is almost certainly still true. Any 'Western' battles in Europe we would use missiles such as 'Brimstone' before we even get into Hellfire and Javelin. I really really wouldn't want to be in a tank.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Russia effectively outspends us 2.5 times over in PPP terms. Whether that worries you or not is up to you.

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

This is almost certainly still true. Any 'Western' battles in Europe we would use missiles such as 'Brimstone' before we even get into Hellfire and Javelin. I really really wouldn't want to be in a tank.

Indeed - but I also agree with the rebuttal: "you can't hold ground with missiles".

And we're saying this during (I'm guestimating here) the largest armoured assault in Europe since WW2

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Indeed - but I also agree with the rebuttal: "you can't hold ground with missiles".

And we're saying this during (I'm guestimating here) the largest armoured assault in Europe since WW2

Yes - but we are defensive not trying to hold ground in Europe.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes - but we are defensive not trying to hold ground in Europe.

Surely "defensive" is the very definition of "holding ground"?

1 minute ago, kirku said:

Surely "defensive" is the very definition of "holding ground"?

You have to lose it first.

Battle tanks are just that. Battle as in WW2. Also good for holding ground with infantry cover against a lesser armed adversary in congested streets. By the way even the Ukrainian home produced anti-tank missiles of which they have thousands appear to quite effective.

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

You have to lose it first.

Preferably not!