NorfBhoy66

southampton new owner

Nobody can buy something that isn’t for sale at any price . It will take the grim reaper to finally rid us of her I’m afraid . 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, NorfBhoy66 said:

On Skye news site, new owner buying for 100 million, Delia needs to change her estate agent

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Bit confusing as I thought there is nobody out there? 

You see the thing is Southampton are an established Premier League club and have been for almost a decade.

The ownership thing is a problem. There are only 20 clubs in the Worlds club elite football league and we are one of them. There are buyers out there. They just aren't interested in selling and it's holding us back. More so now than ever before. I'm getting fed up of being unable to compete at this level.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 2

DS hasn't said they're looking for a buyer. She has said that they're looking for an investor. Those are two completely different things. 

I suspect we will just have to hope that her nephew doesn't fancy it when the time comes. And of course that the Will allows him to sell. 

19 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You see the thing is Southampton are an established Premier League club and have been for almost a decade.

Sorry I forgot that there is always a reason why we, uniquely, are the only club in the top 3 or 4 divisions of British football that nobody is ever interested or going to be interested in buying.

I also thought that nobody is ever established? 

Incidentally their comtrolling interest has changed hands 3 times since 2009 and tp the extent that they are "established" its because the safety net provded by their wealthier owners has enabled them to pay competitive wages. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

And they got there by….having wealthy owners. 

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Also should be noted they were promoted from league 1 at the same time as us and have subsequently spent nearly the entire time in the premier league, unlike us. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Actually they got there by being so badly run they fell into administration...🤓

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We've had all this before. Southampton is way more attractive a proposition for an investor. Norwich is a privincial city, well off the beaten track, no major industries to speak of. When I think of Norfolk, I think of agriculture and tourism - maybe that's wrong, but that is my perception and I don't think that has changed much since I left.  Fabulous city and surroundings, but not hugely exciting a prospect for an investor.  Brighton would be in a similar position to us, just a nice place/tourist resort, if they hadn't happened to have a local fan who had pots of money to throw at it. That has always been the case at Norwich - we need a fan to have the money to put in - and they simply don't exist. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

DS hasn't said they're looking for a buyer. She has said that they're looking for an investor. Those are two completely different things. 

I suspect we will just have to hope that her nephew doesn't fancy it when the time comes. And of course that the Will allows him to sell. 

Not necessarily. Investors can be majority or minority investors, and I don't believe Delia has ever specified only the latter.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We've had all this before. Southampton is way more attractive a proposition for an investor. Norwich is a privincial city, well off the beaten track, no major industries to speak of. When I think of Norfolk, I think of agriculture and tourism - maybe that's wrong, but that is my perception and I don't think that has changed much since I left.  Fabulous city and surroundings, but not hugely exciting a prospect for an investor.  Brighton would be in a similar position to us, just a nice place/tourist resort, if they hadn't happened to have a local fan who had pots of money to throw at it. That has always been the case at Norwich - we need a fan to have the money to put in - and they simply don't exist. 

And Southampton is not a provincial city? Utter nonsense. People are so desperate to belittle our club and city at every turn aren't they. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes of course the Saint's did and we've never ever even come close to administration.....Have we?.....

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Althoigh the club has also changed hands whilst in the top flight twice now Purple, initially for around £200m I think and this time for £100m (plus presumably the debt). Thats for an 80% stake I believe. So its a pretty direct comparable to us (at the moment) aside from the fact they are not bottom. 

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Total tosh. I dont even know where to start with what is wrong with this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Althoigh the club has also changed hands whilst in the top flight twice now Purple, initially for around £200m I think and this time for £100m (plus presumably the debt). Thats for an 80% stake I believe. So its a pretty direct comparable to us (at the moment) aside from the fact they are not bottom. 

I was just trying to inject a bit of counter-factual levity. 🤓

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

And Southampton is not a provincial city? Utter nonsense. People are so desperate to belittle our club and city at every turn aren't they. 

I agree. My worry is that some are so accustomed to it, they might not even recognize they're doing it. I mean, an investment firm evaluated ITFC and bought them. You can't tell me that ITFC is less 'provincial' than NCFC. It is simply the fact that Delia & Co. are stuck in an antiquated, old school way of thinking when it comes how football clubs should be operated.

The self-funded model is admirable, but let's be honest, it's a BS feel-good smokescreen.

So does anyone think that Delia & Co. would actually invest anything of significance into the club (their business) if the self-funded model started to fail, or would they just sit back and watch the club slip into League 1 obscurity while choosing to only sell to a 'real fan'?

Edited by CirclePoint

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I was just trying to inject a bit of counter-factual levity. 🤓

To be serious, the one report I've read suggests the Serbian is offering £100m for the 80 per cent stake for which the current Chinese owner paid £210m. On the face of it, that looks like a disconnect. Perhaps the current owner overpaid? And/or is desperate to sell.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Sorry but Norwich is not "well off the beaten track".  It's less than 2 hours from London with links to Holland etc. This is just more "Little old Norwich" slagging off of a great City...Its a fantastic City which is hugely popular with tourists and as such a successful football club would have a large amount of people to draw on. It's also a County club with over a million people within 40 minutes drive. I get so annoyed at this little Norwich rubbish.... and we don't need a local fan.. we need an investor (local of otherwise) with a plan to compete in the premiership.

If you think Southampton is more attractive then you've not been to the place... I feel it an argument that is not proven in fact or sense.

\the only reason we can not find investment is our owners refuse to give it up as it's theirs to play with.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Southampton is a major port, for passengers and cargo. For all Norwich has to offer, which is a lot, it can't match Southampton for desirability as far as football investment is concerned.  Why do you think Ipswich attract investment? I'll tell you - it is because they are near London, near the major ports of Felixstowe and Harwich - and also because their club was a basket case (as was Southampton the first time they got investors).  From wiki -

Southampton

is the UK's number one vehicle handling port, Europe's leading turnaround cruise port and the UK's most productive container port.Operated by DP World Southampton, the terminal is home to the new 500m deepwater quay SCT5, which was purpose built to handle the biggest ships in the world. A major dredging programme ensures that 15.5m draft vessels - the biggest currently afloat - can access the port on most days of the year.  The port is less than two miles from the M27 and has direct rail links to the main railway network for both freight and passenger trains. The Port of Southampton is served by Southampton International Airport, while Gatwick and Heathrow airports are within easy reach.  Ideally located on the south coast close to international shipping lanes and less than 100 miles from mainland Europe, Southampton is one the UK's leading ports. Around 1.7 million cruise passengers per year have Southampton as their preferred choice of port for cruise holidays. Home to the UK fleets of both P&O Cruises and Cunard Line and used regularly by Royal Caribbean International, Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines and Saga Cruises. Four state-of-the-art cruise terminals in operation, all with ship-to-shore walkways.

Taken from the Clinton Morrison sums it up thread......which is my personal opinion.....

"The model is to ensure the controlling majority shareholding duo.....maintain their controlling majority shareholding".....

....and I stick by it...... 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

To be serious, the one report I've read suggests the Serbian is offering £100m for the 80 per cent stake for which the current Chinese owner paid £210m. On the face of it, that looks like a disconnect. Perhaps the current owner overpaid? And/or is desperate to sell.

I be;ieve they have accrued £90m of debt since the last owner bought it Purple so I can only assume that is being factored into the price? I believe the previous owner has been keen to sell although the club ave said it would only be to "the right person." I don't know enough about the Serbian to form a view on why he is regarded as the right person. 

Is the figure really only 100 million? To me that suggests the club has a lot of debt and overheads. Ward Prowse was touted at 25 million alone throw in similar fees for Redmond, Armstrong, Adams etc.. That is before you consider it as a land/asset deal.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I be;ieve they have accrued £90m of debt since the last owner bought it Purple so I can only assume that is being factored into the price? I believe the previous owner has been keen to sell although the club ave said it would only be to "the right person." I don't know enough about the Serbian to form a view on why he is regarded as the right person. 

Interesting to read he made his money in internet/broadband which seems less dodgy and opaque than a lot of potential investors.

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

Sorry but Norwich is not "well off the beaten track".  It's less than 2 hours from London with links to Holland etc. This is just more "Little old Norwich" slagging off of a great City...Its a fantastic City which is hugely popular with tourists and as such a successful football club would have a large amount of people to draw on. It's also a County club with over a million people within 40 minutes drive. I get so annoyed at this little Norwich rubbish.... and we don't need a local fan.. we need an investor (local of otherwise) with a plan to compete in the premiership.

If you think Southampton is more attractive then you've not been to the place... I feel it an argument that is not proven in fact or sense.

\the only reason we can not find investment is our owners refuse to give it up as it's theirs to play with.

You've essentially backed up what I was saying. Norwich is largely a tourist destination, lots of smaller businesses. , but where is big industry and large coroprations?  Less than 2 hours from London?  Really? Maybe on the train, but from many parts of London, it is a four or more hour drive.

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Really!