It was doing the rounds on Sunday, the idea is that Jordan comes back and Idah goes on loan (Forest were mentioned, I think?).  Who knows if true, but we need to try something to increase our goals - we can’t keep missing chances and fashioned the best three opportunities of the game on Sunday, scoring none.

Edited by Branston Pickle

You do know he’s scored 73 goals in all his games during his entire professional career! If this is really our option then we’re in real trouble!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, I made a thread about it.

As expected.

You're going to have to narrow it down a bit - can you be a bit more specific please? 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

You do know he’s scored 73 goals in all his games during his entire professional career! If this is really our option then we’re in real trouble!

Look at Idah’s record (39 league games, 3 goals, 12 full internationals 0 goals) and Hugill looks like Pele in comparison, though he’s still young and will hopefully come good.

We need to try different things, I do wonder if Drmic was written off too early - there’s clearly a decent player in there and he didn’t exactly get much of a run of games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Indy said:

I thought JH was the worst player this club had signed in a long time until they signed JS. I think JH is garbage but even he would have scored at least 3 of Josh's chances. We really are desperate it seems. 

We definitely need Idah out on loan to gain experience and confidence at a lower level, others have gained and stepped up after a good loan spell. But Hugill has had as many clubs as goals, that must tell you something!

We need a damn site better than someone who couldn’t cut it with WBA in the Championship, I’d rather Dickson-Peters given a go, he’s in good form, but each to their own…..

• Like 1

Yoda saw the shambolic predicament that Josh has left us in and the subsequent recall of Hugill even back in 1980  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Suspect he will be returning, but not because we want him back.

Exactly this. People are getting their knickers in a twist thinking we are recalling him to lead the line in the premier league. I would imagine it’s more a case of WBA returning him!  

• Like 1

It is not just the need for another striker who may be able to assist our fight against relegation positively, if that is possible, we also need to find a successor to Pukki as a matter of some urgency.

Whilst Teemu could well soldier on for another couple of seasons, his days as  the workhorse of the team are surely numbered.

Whatever division we find ourselves in, the signing of another decent striker sooner rather than later has to be the club's priority. Most of our available funding has to furnish that position, imo. 

Neither Hugill nor Idah (loan spell or not) are remotely likely to fill this role, to the extent that it is questionable whether either could even be considered acceptable  back-up.

Where has the money gone that some are suggesting that we have limited funds for January? Why are we always borderline skint? I thought the Premier League was supposed to be the Land of Milk and Honey. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NFN FC said:

Not the answer. We need Pukki level or higher 

At least we need backup that we can get close or offer a real option. And score every now and then.

However, I've been playing around with thought that what if we would be ready to spill 30M€ to get other striker. Who other striker we would get who would be level of Pukki?

When thinking of proven striker of his level in any world's top 4 leagues, nobody comes into my mind. They are starting strikers of their own team and very expensive to buy. Anyone else has any suggestions of such striker that would be available for that sum?

Another option is young talent who is not yet there, but is one of the top talents in big European leagues and are already banging some goals there. But actually, those tend to cost even more. There might be some jewels there which I don't know though, so any ideas who might be such a player? There are promising youngsters for cheaper for sure, but we have already bought such.

In both cases, they also should preferably would be able to play other forward positions that CF as well, as we likely would not want to have either them or Pukki sitting on bench for most of the time.

Sort of hearing suggestions on getting similar level or better player every now and then, but I see the problem in there that strikers of his level are so ridiculously rare that they are not available or cost massive amount. Therefore I'm really curious if I'm missing someone here.

11 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Look at Idah’s record (39 league games, 3 goals, 12 full internationals 0 goals)

Why are you choosing to discount cup games but count tinpot international friendlies, just to halve his goal tally?

11 hours ago, Mullet said:

I thought JH was the worst player this club had signed in a long time until they signed JS. I think JH is garbage but even he would have scored at least 3 of Josh's chances. We really are desperate it seems. 

Would JH have even have found himself in those goalscoring positions though? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Would JH have even have found himself in those goalscoring positions though? 

probably not from the bench…… Sargent has been used out wide, only a couple times has been played as a striker.

The other option is it could be a club has offered to pay to take him off our hands permanently so we're recalling him to let that happen. We can but dream.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

probably not from the bench…… Sargent has been used out wide, only a couple times has been played as a striker.

Good point.

I suppose then really the comparison has to be with Cantwell.

If Cantwell can sort out his life and get himself in the team over Sargent, would he chip in with the odd goal? Probably, but there's a big "if" there, his career hangs in the balance. Sink or swim. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why are you choosing to discount cup games but count tinpot international friendlies, just to halve his goal tally?

I’m not doing anything of the sort - it was just what was there (and you appear to need a lesson in how maths works: 3 minus 0 is still 3).  

And of course, 39 appearances for 3 goals is an absolutely stunning return - just not in a good way.

The problem is that statistics can easily mislead - Hugill barely started any games for us (nor did Drmic), and Idah’s game time has also often been limited; it’s also true that Josh often hasn’t played as an out and out striker either here or at Bremen.  

59 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m not doing anything of the sort - it was just what was there (and you appear to need a lesson in how maths works: 3 minus 0 is still 3).  

He has scored six goals for us, but by opting for no apparent reason at all to not count cup games you've presented half of his goals... so three. Hence, you have halved his goal tally, but thanks for the maths lesson. 

It is 6 in 45 to save you the hassle.

Now your turn for a maths lesson, brace yourself. 

Idah has scored 6 goals in 1013 minutes of competitive football for Norwich City. That is 1 goal in every 168 minutes, or 0.53 goals per 90 minutes. 

Look at the top scorers list this season in the Premier League and Antonio only manages 0.43, Dennis 0.50, Maupey 0.53, King 0.45.

Now, we have to accept that Idah has played most of his football at a lower level, but that's fine because we can do the same to the Championship top scorers list where Karlan Grant has managed 0.50 goals per 90, Billy Sharp 0.42, Victor Gyokeres 0.49, etc, etc, etc. 

If you want more goals from Adam Idah then the answer is to give him more minutes, stop presenting over simplistic views based on incomplete or cherry picked data. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

In comparison for league only Hugill 61 goals in 270 games, all at much lower level of play to Idah! Ida has played three seasons in our first team squad two at premiership level, most of those 39 games have been as last few minutes as sub.

The reality is on the pitch, Idah certainly puts in a shift, can be utilised on the left as well as a striker. He’s young and needs more time on loan to gain match time and confidence. Looking at Hugill clubs it’s noticeable he’s never really settled anywhere for any time, so there’s something not right with him to be at so many clubs and moved on either loan or sold, no different here.

Sell him Idah and the American in January and use the money to buy a decent striker for that matter through in Cantwell as well 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Sell him Idah and the American in January and use the money to buy a decent striker for that matter through in Cantwell as well 

You mean throw? 😉

I'm better than Hugill and I'm sh*t. (Whilst that is a joke, I genuinely think a decent amateur player has better control / technical ability, he's awful). He tries hard but that's the only positive thing I can say. Similar to Sargent but at least Sargent doesn't look like he is exhausted after 5 minutes.

Was not good enough when we signed him, is not good enough for the Premier League and will not be good enough next season, whatever division we are in.

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

In comparison for league only Hugill 61 goals in 270 games, all at much lower level of play to Idah! Ida has played three seasons in our first team squad two at premiership level, most of those 39 games have been as last few minutes as sub.

The reality is on the pitch, Idah certainly puts in a shift, can be utilised on the left as well as a striker. He’s young and needs more time on loan to gain match time and confidence. Looking at Hugill clubs it’s noticeable he’s never really settled anywhere for any time, so there’s something not right with him to be at so many clubs and moved on either loan or sold, no different here.

It is the consistent comments from the fans that are telling, The latest being WBA. Basically, he is hopeless.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He has scored six goals for us, but by opting for no apparent reason at all to not count cup games you've presented half of his goals... so three. Hence, you have halved his goal tally, but thanks for the maths lesson. 

It is 6 in 45 to save you the hassle.

Now your turn for a maths lesson, brace yourself. 

Idah has scored 6 goals in 1013 minutes of competitive football for Norwich City. That is 1 goal in every 168 minutes, or 0.53 goals per 90 minutes. 

Look at the top scorers list this season in the Premier League and Antonio only manages 0.43, Dennis 0.50, Maupey 0.53, King 0.45.

Now, we have to accept that Idah has played most of his football at a lower level, but that's fine because we can do the same to the Championship top scorers list where Karlan Grant has managed 0.50 goals per 90, Billy Sharp 0.42, Victor Gyokeres 0.49, etc, etc, etc. 

If you want more goals from Adam Idah then the answer is to give him more minutes, stop presenting over simplistic views based on incomplete or cherry picked data. 

🥱 

‘Cherry picked data’.  Interesting, given it is precisely what you’re doing - including second rate cup games and then comparing lower league data with PL player data - utterly ridiculous and incompatible.
One thing I’ll never need from you is a statistics lesson, and remind me never to trust your interpretation of data as it’s skewed by what you want to find in it. 

14 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

🥱 

‘Cherry picked data’.  Interesting, given it is precisely what you’re doing - including second rate cup games and then comparing lower league data with PL player data - utterly ridiculous and incompatible.
One thing I’ll never need from you is a statistics lesson, and remind me never to trust your interpretation of data as it’s skewed by what you want to find in it. 

Reading through this, you have suggested Hugill is a better option than Idah (looks like Pele in comparison) and regardless of stats, you must have seen Hugill play!   Playing him in an EPL match would be as embarrassing for the club as that Chelsea performance!