Sign in to follow this  
Mengo

T. Cantwell available.

Todd Cantwell has trained with us since Newcastle. Had a close contact so club wanted him to get PCR test to be certain, came back negative. Available for Sunday

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He'll need to be a lot sharper than that first half against Southampton.

He suppors Arsenal, I reckon he will be up for this!

10 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Now is the time Todd. Please take this shot

moms spaghetti 

👍

images.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Satriales said:

He suppors Arsenal, I reckon he will be up for this!

Whether he's mentally up for it is one thing. Whether he's match-sharp enough for it is another entirely.

Let's hope he is fit enough.  I am always surprised how much getting match fit effects players, I get to a point where I think it is all important, then suddenly someone plays and they are simply sensational without any warm games.  Rashica against Brentford for example.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Yet more depressing news I had hoped we had scene the last of him before his departure in the January window 

Pathetic response to the news one of our players is ok to play for the team

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Yet more depressing news I had hoped we had scene the last of him before his departure in the January window 

*seen 😏👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I can't see him starting but he's going to be a welcome option off the bench with Rashica definitely out.

I do wonder if we'll see a change of system for Sunday with the poor form of Tzolis and Sargent and the injury/fitness issues with Cantwell and Rashica- maybe a switch to a back 3 with wingbacks?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I can't see him starting but he's going to be a welcome option off the bench with Rashica definitely out.

I do wonder if we'll see a change of system for Sunday with the poor form of Tzolis and Sargent and the injury/fitness issues with Cantwell and Rashica- maybe a switch to a back 3 with wingbacks?

Yep, the bit in bold looks likeliest. Get him back in there gently, so 30 minutes off the bench, probably.

Can't see the defensive structure being changed though. We've generally looked more solid under Smith with the personnel so far, so I'd be amazed if it's not a back four. Also, Sargent's attacking form has been crap, but his workrate and pressing has been a great help to keeping pressure away from our goal so I suspect if he's fresh enough, he'll start.

He's drinking at the Last Chance Saloon now and if he continues to disappoint it will end his hopes of a big club move.

If he can't make it here among his own he won't make it anywhere.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, the bit in bold looks likeliest. Get him back in there gently, so 30 minutes off the bench, probably.

Can't see the defensive structure being changed though. We've generally looked more solid under Smith with the personnel so far, so I'd be amazed if it's not a back four. Also, Sargent's attacking form has been crap, but his workrate and pressing has been a great help to keeping pressure away from our goal so I suspect if he's fresh enough, he'll start.

I'm just wondering if we might switch to match up with Spurs also- they've been playing a back 3 under Conte. 

The other reason I think he might switch it is to give Idah a start next to Pukki. But we'll see. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'm just wondering if we might switch to match up with Spurs also- they've been playing a back 3 under Conte. 

The other reason I think he might switch it is to give Idah a start next to Pukki. But we'll see. 

I can see why you think that, I'm just saying that considering we had defensive woes with Farke, and Smith seems to have given us more solidity with his choices so far, he's not going to change that necessarily when still setting his stall out.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

Bizarre that "fans" don't want to support their own players. Do you also boo your wife when she wakes up in the morning?

35 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

He's drinking at the Last Chance Saloon now and if he continues to disappoint it will end his hopes of a big club move.

If he can't make it here among his own he won't make it anywhere.

He hasn't disappointed, and as one of our best players is hardly on his last chance, especially given we have a new manager. He's done no worse than any other of our XI this season. He knows he's got a point to prove, now he's got to go and do it and I've no doubt he will. Smith has already elevated the squads performance as a whole, no doubt he can get a bit of quality out of Todd. It's not like he developed the most expensive English football player in history or anything... 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Binner 

Sounds like it's Black Friday for you then UF. 

33 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I can see why you think that, I'm just saying that considering we had defensive woes with Farke, and Smith seems to have given us more solidity with his choices so far, he's not going to change that necessarily when still setting his stall out.

Yeah I can see that too- I just wonder if Sunday is a 'needs must' type situation. Right now he has to chose between playing some really out of form wide players or some really unfit ones, a system switch means he doesn't have to do either.

3 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Maybe try Giannoulis at left wing? Attacking is his strong point and could help defensively.

Now THAT is the kind of slightly off-beat left-field (left-wing? 😉 ) team selection method I can properly support!

If Todd available he needs to start on left.  However since we are over endowed with midfield players who would prefer the left side is a problem.  That include Giannoulis, Plachata, Tzolis, Idah of the players available to play.  On the right we have Sargent and an unknown an other.  

2 hours ago, AJ said:

Bizarre that "fans" don't want to support their own players. Do you also boo your wife when she wakes up in the morning?

He hasn't disappointed, and as one of our best players is hardly on his last chance, especially given we have a new manager. He's done no worse than any other of our XI this season. He knows he's got a point to prove, now he's got to go and do it and I've no doubt he will. Smith has already elevated the squads performance as a whole, no doubt he can get a bit of quality out of Todd. It's not like he developed the most expensive English football player in history or anything... 

Nobody wants local lad Todd to succeed more than me but he is not a boy anymore and if he fails to impress Smith quickly his days are numbered.

City fans may be patient but coaches and managers won't. That's the hard reality.

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Maybe try Giannoulis at left wing? Attacking is his strong point and could help defensively.

I like this idea. Personally I think Williams has done ok, so why not keep him at LB and use the attacking side of Giannoulis. Can't see Smith going for that unfortunately.

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Not the wildest idea, he did look a lot better going forward against Newcastle than anyone else, and got the assist as well. Smith will know what he wants from what he's seen so far though, and from his comments that suggests Todd will be starting 

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Maybe Tzolis left back? 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

We desperately need a fit, focussed, and on form Cantwell in the side, given the injuries and form of the other AMs.

Doesn't seem all that likely though. Which is a huge shame for all concerned.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Do you think he will gamble that way? I was thinking he would stick with the structure and give Tzolis / Cantrell / Sargent minutes, assuming that might help help us in the coming week.  Although I would love to see Mumba get a run out.