Sign in to follow this  
essex canary

Farkeball v. Headball

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I was thinking, is that the first time Pukki has scored for us with his head? Also, sadly, does anyone else think their keeper should have saved both our goals?

I do remember when he scored with his chest some time ago and the oppisition manager claimed it should not have counted.. anyone remember?

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I do remember when he scored with his chest some time ago and the oppisition manager claimed it should not have counted.. anyone remember?

QPR away

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

My favourite Pukki goal ever.

So no prior headed goals? I could never head the ball to save my life, perhaps he's one of those.

I remember I scored a Sunday League goal with my head once. It was the weakest header you can imagine. It practically dropped off my face and pea-rolled over the line (thats probably what fooled the keeper) - still, they all count!

Edited by The Great Mass Debater
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I was thinking, is that the first time Pukki has scored for us with his head? Also, sadly, does anyone else think their keeper should have saved both our goals?

Pukki scored with a header at Stoke in the 2-2 draw at the end of the promotion season three years ago. They’re his only two I think.

On MOTD they said Hanley’s goal was his first in the League for almost ten years. Surprising stat for such a big unit coming up for corners ( with our record at corners maybe not since he’s been playing for us )

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Pukki scored with a header at Stoke in the 2-2 draw at the end of the promotion season three years ago. They’re his only two I think.

On MOTD they said Hanley’s goal was his first in the League for almost ten years. Surprising stat for such a big unit coming up for corners ( with our record at corners maybe not since he’s been playing for us )

It was the first in the Premier league for 10 years

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Those with a view on dementia and footballers no longer with us might see it differently.

Different balls used these days. Those affected now are those who played when the ball was effectively a cannonball. Of course that was going to create issues in later years. Now though, they're made of light materials and they weigh the same as a teaspoon. I can't agree that they would do any kind of damage in the modern game. 

Edited by JB

Hanley scored with header last season, diving header on his knees.  Forget where it was away somewhere up north.

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Love some good head

.. Wait what are we talking about?

I'm hoping for it later

In this dull Leeds game ..... just as they score ffs

3 hours ago, JB said:

Different balls used these days. Those affected now are those who played when the ball was effectively a cannonball. Of course that was going to create issues in later years. Now though, they're made of light materials and they weigh the same as a teaspoon. I can't agree that they would do any kind of damage in the modern game. 

The studies show that's not true. And there are already measures in place to reduce the amount high impact headers in training.

https://www.headway.org.uk/news-and-campaigns/news/2021/study-reinforces-link-between-dementia-in-professional-footballers-and-heading-the-ball/

Pukki scored a header, with the help of Declan, against Preston last season...

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Pukki scored a header, with the help of Declan, against Preston last season...

I'm not sure whose goal that went down as in the end (Pukki's, I think) but that should have been an own goal all day long. Rudd saved the header by tipping it onto the post, and then he bundled the ball into his own net after it bounced back towards him.

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

17 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Michael Bailey at the time said Pukki “scored with his heart” 😀

Steve McClaren said it was "not even a proper goal". October 2018, I was back in UK for four weeks.

22 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I couldn't agree more. The one glint of negativity is I think that we'll have to do much much more to beat a keeper twice in the remaining games this season. Thank the heavens that Rui Patrício moved on from Wolves.

Ten years ago we scored 11 headed goals in Premier League. Last 2 Premier League seasons have seen 3 and 1 header respectively. Now we have registered 3 after 12 games.  Could be we are on track for staying up.

There is no such thing as Farkeball really. It only worked when were playing teams of a far inferior level to us technically. Our record against the technically good sides in the championships wasn’t so good. We were just more consistent against the less gifted. 

At this level with the players we have or are ever likely to have Farkeball is a disaster with didn’t even wait to happen. 

As for hoofball. There’s a difference between hoofing it to just try and make progress up the pitch and clearing your lines. Yes clearing with a hoof can just result in it coming back in again but it’s a mix you want if the opportunity is there to play your way out and start an attack then we should. But under Farke we would play our way out from our own blôody goal line with 9 opposing players in the box!