Sign in to follow this  
pete

Smith announced on Sky at 8.30

1 hour ago, Hucks6 said:

No better than Farke waste space Webber. Ifs it’s the best you can do don’t bother

Don't bother getting a manager? Quick tell Webber not to bother and let the players just turn up on a match day

I really don’t understand what people on here expect? We are never going to attract a big name coach but people dismiss names saying they are no good before they’ve even taken the job ffs!

How many wanted Farke? NONE! Yet that didn’t turn out too bad did it?

Get in the real world and accept Smith is a decent coach with Prem experience so why do people want coaches with none? Bizarre to say the least

• Like 6

Maybe Webber was about to head hunt Smith from Villa, before he was sacked, just as Villa then did with Gerrard.

All sounds a bit of a shambles. Maybe like spurs we were after Knutsen, who wouldnt leave, so Lampard keapt fo front, the Smith was sacked, and Lampard withdrew, leaving us with 3rd choice or worse

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

This.

Lampard has backed out and now we revert to someone who is also cheap and available and just wants a Prem job.

Yes it would have been far better getting someone expensive, not available and doesn't want to manage in the Prem, I see your logic

Edited by Mullet
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s an underwhelming appointment and smacks of us not having a plan when we sacked Farke which is concerning but he’s not a bad coach and it’s worth pointing out that he got his (in my view inferior to us) Villa side to fiiish above us in the prem snd stick 5 past us at Carrow Road by exploiting our weaknesses.

We could do worse. 

Inferior to us? It was a side that had over £150 million spent on it. If Farke had £150 million to spend do you not think we'd have stayed up that year? And by a little bit more than a ****ed up VAR decision?

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Smith wasnt even available when we sacked Farke....who was our original target when we pulled the trigger, or was Lampard it??

Jurgen Klopp, but he wouldn't be a fans choice because he lost his last game

Edited by Mullet

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Inferior to us? It was a side that had over £150 million spent on it. If Farke had £150 million to spend do you not think we'd have stayed up that year? And by a little bit more than a ****ed up VAR decision?

No, because he’d have left all those players on the bench…

• Haha 3

Would be happy with this.

He's intelligent, earnest and streetwise.

He's had nothing given to him on a plate - he's earned his way to the top.

No fans of Walsall, Brentford or Villa have a bad word to say about him.

In terms of both trying to keep us up this year and fighting for the title (potentially!) next year he's relevant.

Would have preferred the adventure of Knutsen (and suspect he was no.1 choice) but I think he can't be lured from Norway right now.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

He comes in with a losing mentality and literally just lost his dream job. Appoint failure, expect failure 

If he had tons of England caps or was a foreigner you had never heard of until last Sunday (but EXACTLY the same person) would you be so critical?

1 hour ago, Virtual reality said:

Just can’t see it. Wasn’t even available when Farke was sacked. If the first choice was Lampard and Smith now gets the job it is shocking incompetence from Webber. I’m still expecting the appointment to be none of the above 

Yes I agree, our first choice decided against the job so it's shocking incompetence to look for someone else

Just now, Cantiaci Canary said:

If he had tons of England caps or was a foreigner you had never heard of until last Sunday (but EXACTLY the same person) would you be so critical?

Yes as I was equally as critical of the idea of Lampard 

1 minute ago, Mullet said:

Yes I agree, our first choice decided against the job so it's shocking incompetence to look for someone else

If you can’t see a problem with Frank ****ing Lampard being the first choice then I’m sure you’re easily pleased 

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I concur it can’t be Smith, he wasn’t even available nor has he actually got any good track record…..Farke is a far better coach. Utter dross that can’t be true…..rather have Martin.

So because Smith only became available after Farke was sacked we aren't allowed to consider him?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Not enthused about this. Yes I can see some of the positives he’s done, but I’m worried that a manager who wasn’t getting the best out of a quality squad is going to struggle to do that with ours. He’s been on a losing streak and he needs to shake that as much as we have needed to as a club, starting up at a new premier club after one week seems rushed and not likely to put the odds in it working out in our favour. 

Also have to add my voice to the those asking, if this was decided on the Monday after Leeds, what exactly was the plan with regards a replacement if our new manager still had a job when we sacked ours. Could well be a happy coincidence, but Webber will face questions about this and have to appease a lot of restless fans who find it hard to see a step up in quality and a feeling of making it up as we went along.

There seems to be a fixation that Lampard was the target, but what if he wasn’t. What if we were showing some ambition and had Gerrard as the target who had given us a tentative nod. Villa get wind of the deal and hijack it. KK was second choice but the logistics of prising him from his current job prove insurmountable. Not saying by any means this is the case but an open mind needs to be kept on the possibilities.

Also need to consider whether there is more to it than just Farke’s match record. If he was freezing out valuable assets like Cantrell and Tzolis, this would be of huge concern to the club. The potential loss of financial value would be a serious consequence that would have to be addressed.

8 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Would be happy with this.

He's intelligent, earnest and streetwise.

He's had nothing given to him on a plate - he's earned his way to the top.

No fans of Walsall, Brentford or Villa have a bad word to say about him.

In terms of both trying to keep us up this year and fighting for the title (potentially!) next year he's relevant.

Would have preferred the adventure of Knutsen (and suspect he was no.1 choice) but I think he can't be lured from Norway right now.

Totally agree. Experience and respected. 

I'd be happy with this appointment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Unfortunately I think this is exactly what we’ve done by the looks of it. Talk sport and sky are easily dismissed. Local journalists not so much 

The only thing I would say is that 24 hours ago they were talking as though Lampard had already been appointed. I’m not giving up hope yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Who do you want then?

A manager with upward momentum that won’t come in with a losing mentality and who hadn’t literally just been sacked would be a good start. Remember when Webber wouldn’t sign players who had been relegated from the PL because losing had become a habit? Apparently failure with management is fine though. I’d have been far more enthusiastic with an appointment in the Knutsen mould or Favre that many were hopeful of 

What are supporters expecting exactly? 

We are a self funding club with limited funds and a laughing stock across the football world. 

6 weeks ago anyone of us would have been satisfied that if Farke was to go Smith would have been his replacement. 

Edited by Sideshow Tim
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Well I quite like the idea of Dean Smith. Plays exciting football, has experience of promotion, managing big games, bringing young players through, surviving relegation, playing with a low budget (Brentford), playing with a high budget (Villa).

We are bottom with 5 points, hardly gonna attract Klopp so why not get the guy who beat him 7-2 instead 😉

I'm just surprised he's so keen to get back into things so soon after losing his dream job.

You can't be optimistic on here my friend this is the pink un fans forum, shame on you

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Yes as I was equally as critical of anything to do with this club

Fixed

• Haha 1

Imagine defending the sacking of Farke and replacing him with Smith. I’m sure if this were a topic of conversation a few months ago the idea would have been roundly dismissed 

• Like 1

He'll come straight in and continue his losing streak, against the team he lost his job against as well. #scrapingthebarrel. 

Let's be honest, we don't have the squad to get out of our current predicament. 

There is no plan B, C or D to get us out of this (unless we have another £50m in January?!) 

We need someone with experience to go again next season and I see Smith as the best available person to do that. 

Sod whether he was available when Farke was sacked, let's just get on with it. If my Aunty had a c0ck she would have been my Uncle! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Whilst it's obvious Smith is NOT the number 1 choice as you rightly say, the notion that Farke is 'a far better coach' is based on what exactly?

The respective PL records are stark...............

DS played 87, Won 28 and Lost 43

DF played 49, Won 6 and Lost 49!!

It's not even close but reveals Farkes' embarrassing PL failure. 

How much did Smith spend?

23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I said at the time that sacking Farke was a knee jerk reaction but it runs a poor second to this one. It smacks of desperation.

Always enjoy your posts, Ricardo, but think this is a little pessimistic. 

Most coaches have a shelf life. DF certainly seemed to have run out of steam a bit here, but he's clearly a great coach and will go on to be a success in his next job, I'm sure.

From the outside, same seems true of Smith. He's done a solid job at Villa and if his natural race was run there, that doesn't mean he's suddenly a bad coach. My doubt would be whether he's ready to go straight back into the fray, but if he is, I reckon he could do a solid job at CR.

• Like 1