lake district canary

Booing is and always will be tin-pot

5 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Nice but of gratuitous gender stereotyping.

Only a man would say that. 

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Ok let’s drop booing. What about mooning instead? Starting with the City stand as that’s heading to the tunnel. Fans could start undoing belts and braces around half four. As one they rise, spin round and bend to show the players 4,000 wrinkly backsides at the full time whistle. 

A calm protest and point made that should stop any further abject displays for many seasons. 

I mooned at The Damned once when they played Eloise as I hate it. I don’t think they noticed though and if they noticed I don’t think they cared.

1 minute ago, Mr Angry said:

I mooned at The Damned once when they played Eloise as I hate it. I don’t think they noticed though and if they noticed I don’t think they cared.

They probably thought you were just a short bloke with a cleft chin. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

image.png.bdf5301542a2aa119244019739a3b8f3.png

All looks the same doesn't it? Well what this graph doesn't show is that each one of these people went to heaven bar the person who boo'd at Carrow Road.

Our Club needs to put something in the match day programmes, also on the rotating sign board and over the tannoy system......"Will Patrons kindly refrain from booing".... We've got to stamp out this most abhorrent and boorish behaviour, otherwise it'll all end in tears.....

It's ultimately the reason we're currently struggling..... 

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

It's ultimately the reason we're currently struggling..... 

I would say this but confidence is low and we have a lot of young players - I don't think it helps. I know that some do, but they have offered no evidence, just opinion.

But sorry, I have to say that saying it is the only reason we are struggling is going way too far.

I love a good boo, had a lovely boo when the 3rd goal went in

will certainly boo on Saturday if we don’t win regardless of how we play

its like pantomime all part of the entertainment. For me Cantwell is an ugly sister 

8 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

its like pantomime all part of the entertainment. For me Cantwell is an ugly sister 

👆 Advert to not boo. 

Don't be a Fred

Just now, Badger said:

I would say this but confidence is low and we have a lot of young players - I don't think it helps. I know that some do, but they have offered no evidence, just opinion.

But sorry, I have to say that saying it is the only reason we are struggling is going way too far.

Booing has just gotta stop....it's really got to be curtailed and stifled....I've been unable to sleep properly since Saturday evening and I think I'm suffering from post traumatic boo disorder.....Couldn't focus on Strictly and only half ate my fish supper and I left all my mushy peas.....also my glass of Dandelion and Boodock went flat.....Oh no....BURDOCK! BURDOCK! IT'S BURDOCK!!!....

...You see what I mean?......   

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

From another perspective, my Wife said at the time "Why do men behave like this."

She was actually a bit more forthright, but made the point that no women seemed to be behaving in the same way as the men were. I can't recall seeing any women booing, can you?

What’s the relevance to my point sorry?

I can just visualise and hear it now.....A packed Goodison and just before kick off with the Everton side normally running out onto the pitch to the tune of Z Cars, the snide stadium announcer will instead play 'Wake up Boo by the Boo Radleys'.....Psychological damage done - and our boys in yellow will just melt.....game's over for us even before a competitive ball is kicked..... 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Badger said:

I didn't see any, did you?

Well I wasn't there so couldn't say. I do, however, know women who support football teams and I know they have booed their teams before.

20 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Booing has just gotta stop....it's really got to be curtailed and stifled....I've been unable to sleep properly since Saturday evening and I think I'm suffering from post traumatic boo disorder.....Couldn't focus on Strictly and only half ate my fish supper and I left all my mushy peas.....also my glass of Dandelion and Boodock went flat.....Oh no....BURDOCK! BURDOCK! IT'S BURDOCK!!!....

1. I have every sympathy for your distress, I really do, but nevertheless we have to accept that it is inappropriate to  it is curtail and stifle opposition. History shows that to do so would be counter-productive.

2. On a purely practical note, can I suggest that you record Strictly and then rewind the bits when you PTBD overcomes you - at least this way you will be able to follow what is going on. Also, you save the mushy peas and microwave them another day - they should last a while. Nothing we can do about the Dandelion and Boodock, though - I'm afraid there's a CO2 shortage. (Isn't it meant to be flat anyway - I thought fizzy D and B is a modern thing? I can't afford such luxuries myself, since I gave up work to become a full-time Pink Un poster).

A week later, look what old music classic the Turf Moor Burnley announcer's gonna play when we come out onto the pitch!....Lobo – Me And You And A Dog Named Boo (1971, Vinyl) - Discogs

And we thought pink walls in the Carra away changing room gave us an advantage.....

Other teams have now got the measure of us.....We're booned I tell yeah.....BOONED!.....

5 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t think there’s evidence to suggest that one does and one definitely doesn’t affect players negatively. Paper quotes aren’t research on the subjective.

There is overwhelming anecdotal evidence from footballers saying that it has effected their performance. There is a wealth of psychological impact of stress on the decision-making process and performance in general. I don't think that there is any real doubt that it affects player performance and I think that there is plenty of evidence to support this.

I will agree that there is no evidence on whether supporters leaving grounds early affects performance - TBH, I don't expect that there ever will be - it would be almost impossible to conduct such research. 

46 minutes ago, robert choice said:

Some of you aren't taking this seriously. Don't think we can't read between the lines.

Didn't you ever study English Lit at school? Every great tragedy has "comic relief" for periods of catharsis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

I've not read through it all, but i've not seen anyone comment on emotional scarring.

Just that it's demonstrably proven to have a negative effect, according to those on the receiving end. Like you say, it's up to others what they choose to do with that information.

The emotional scarring was just sarcasm.

While we are still seeing players kneeling before a game because of hatred, then booing is way down the bottom of the in tray of football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I can just visualise and hear it now.....A packed Goodison and just before kick off with the Everton side normally running out onto the pitch to the tune of Z Cars, the snide stadium announcer will instead play 'Wake up Boo by the Boo Radleys'.....Psychological damage done - and our boys in yellow will just melt.....game's over for us even before a competitive ball is kicked..... 

They’re from Wallasey which is where I live and they’ve reformed this year. Not sure if they’re blues, if they’re reds then their record probably won’t get played at Goodison.

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

There is overwhelming anecdotal evidence from footballers saying that it has effected their performance. There is a wealth of psychological impact of stress on the decision-making process and performance in general. I don't think that there is any real doubt that it affects player performance and I think that there is plenty of evidence to support this.

I will agree that there is no evidence on whether supporters leaving grounds early affects performance - TBH, I don't expect that there ever will be - it would be almost impossible to conduct such research. 

I guess footballers are bound to say it affects their game.

But to start quoting psychological impact is way over the top.

To be quite honest I would like to ask players about the impact on supporters.

These chaps have no doubt doubled their wages but are supplying less than half of last years product. 

So lets put it down to bad luck?

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think this is at the heart of the argument. 

What argument? You started a thread that insulted some of your fellow fans. That's it. The fact you've tried to twist it to be about something else is by the by.

You can't even be consistent - at one point you said booing was OK as long as it was a last resort. So when are the other supporters allowed to express their feelings in the manner they wish? Zero points after 10 games? 15? 300? Will you set your beard on fire so we can tell by the white smoke that it's time for the LDC approved boo?

Is there an LDC endorsed list of ways the fans can show their unhappiness that meets with your approval? Maybe we could chant, "TOP FOUR HERE WE COME!  TOP FOUR HERE WE COME!" louder and louder after each defeat until we are sick.

Perhaps we could all start growing a beard until we get a PL win? We'll be able to form several thousand ZZ Top tribute bands the way we're going.

...but wait a minute. Isn't booing tin pot?! It must be because you said so. But then it isn't if it's OK by you. Stellar argument.

I've never booed the team but can understand why others might; you can't understand that because you've had an empathy bypass. 

The only tin pot around here is the one on your head.

Boo.

OTBC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robert choice said:

Looks like DF has called in the heavy mob to deal with any booing.

Mini me.jpg

That's Badger; he's got a riot gun under his chair ready for the first sign of dissent. Only approved feelings allowed. Got to keep the emotionally-charged criminal-classes in their place.

OTBC

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's just been a discussion, a topical discussion on a subject that even the manager has had something to say about  it. Some people don't seem to like discussion....

Some say it’s wrong and others don’t think so. Best result all round is to have another 10 pages on the subject. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

😅 So tempted  to mess with this but to be fair, he's taken " method trolling '  and made it art. 

13 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

But to start quoting psychological impact is way over the top.

I'm not sure what you mean here? I am not saying that it causes a psychological illness or disorder if that is how you interpreted it: merely that it changes their behaviour on the pitch - players become less confident/ more risk averse/ "hide"/ perception of the task changes so that it seems harder or impossible/ physical effects - players tense up and miscontrol the ball/ overplay passes (Iwan Roberts talks about this in his book)

Of course it affects players behaviour. Even in the examples I have given:

Gerrard - risk averse - safe balls/ play safe

Bale - perception - goal seems much smaller next chance

etc

A large part of the game is in the mind - it is why booing can be so damaging.