lake district canary

The project in full swing

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

What seems odd to me is fellow fans questioning other fans loyalty, just because they may have a higher ambitions and expectations for their club. We got to 3rd in the top division once why not aim for that.... Top 26? Do me a favour. 

If you are happy being a yo-yo club good for you and I wont question your support for the club. Would be good if others had the same respect.

Same thing over and over from the usual people.... oh well. 

The sound of a real fan hitting the nail on the head 

19 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Going to games, but showing minimal appreciation of what the club actually stands for doesn't make you a fan. You seem like you don't actually like the club at all.

Just ignore him, best thing 👍

4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

What seems odd to me is fellow fans questioning other fans loyalty, just because they may have a higher ambitions and expectations for their club. We got to 3rd in the top division once why not aim for that.... Top 26? Do me a favour. 

If you are happy being a yo-yo club good for you and I wont question your support for the club. Would be good if others had the same respect.

Same thing over and over from the usual people.... oh well. 

24 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Can any true Norwich fan be happy with being a yo yo club?

Is it just me who's struggling to reconcile these two posts??? 😞

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich won’t continue to be a Yo-Yo club. They’ll either consolidate in the Premier or get stuck indefinitely in the Championship again. History teaches us all that. 

Except in City's case it doesn't.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Is it just me who's struggling to reconcile these two posts??? 😞

Was in response to previous posts but you are right and I apologise for sinking to that level. 

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Think if they change the parachute money as is being spoken about, it will 100%...

It certainly is interesting under Webber and Farke.  Long may it continue however once top 26 becomes unattainable a lengthy stay as Championship club will see a decline in the clubs fortunes a la the town down the road.  njuy it while it works.

I would say 75% of the PL clubs are effectively yo yo clubs. 
How many if the current PL would we say definitely won’t be relegated in the next 3 years?

Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd?

Whilst the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Everton are unlikely to go down you could not say it definitely wouldn’t happen based on the last few years. One bad injury, a manager losing the plot.....covid ripping thru the club. 

Edited by duke63

I’d say given how we’ve p155ed money up the wall in the past on massive flops costing us both integrity and time, I’d say we’re now a damn successfully run club. In fact I’ve never known it to be as well run. 

To quote Super Hans from Peep Show “Norwich might not win the league but they still show up every week… the pr1cks!” 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Think if they change the parachute money as is being spoken about, it will 100%...

An awful lot of what you say rests on pure speculation. At the moment the "self-funding, top 26" project has yielded actual results: 2 out of last 3 years in the PL, two seasons of the best football we have seen, and recruitment that has also been the best we have seen in living memory. All of that achieved while ensuring the club is financially securer than it has ever been. Just what is the alternative you seem to think would better this performance? So far I have seen nothing but pure speculation that there is some extraordinarily wealthy individual out there desperate to throw a couple of hundred million at the club with no strings attached. Frankly I think that is pure fantasy, especially as the football economy moves into a post-covid environment which is likely to see many casualties among clubs with unsustainable debts.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If we have recruited successfully and the players can make a difference, in that the 1st team is successful in staying up, then it will have been successful yes... if we are as uncompetitive as last time, no it won't have worked.

Can any true Norwich fan be happy with being a yo yo club?

depends what you mean as being a yo yo club...obviously the thinking is league position, bouncing from Champs to Prem, rinse and repeat. That, to fans who only think of, or mainly think of, league position as the be all and end all of being a City fan and measuring the success of failure  regarding that, is to me  only part of of being a City fan.

The absolute biggest point for me in these past 4 years is the transformation of the club in finding a self funding model that has given the club solidity, both financially and on the pitch, improving Colney beyond measure, getting very good profits from player sales, whilst still playing  good football and retaining a head coach most fans are actually content with. We are the only club that has achieved such a thing as is and is what Lakey rightly  alludes to...look at the club as a whole and whats not to like?

But...if to take your question in isolation..can any City fan be happy with being a yo yo club...well, sgncfc  does'nt mind and i would go further, yes, im happy  City being a yo yo club. I would be happier to if we could  have a few seasons in the Prem continous, but should that not occur im still happy..competing  in the Prem against some of the worlds  top clubs is tremendous, but also playing in the Champs is great to, its such a competitive and tough division..we get to taste  both each other season.

22 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I’d say given how we’ve p155ed money up the wall in the past on massive flops costing us both integrity and time, I’d say we’re now a damn successfully run club. In fact I’ve never known it to be as well run. 

To quote Super Hans from Peep Show “Norwich might not win the league but they still show up every week… the pr1cks!” 

Yeah loved that , such a great cult show referring to such a great cult club , I believe he also gave Delia a mention too .

Edited by Canary dwarf

54 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Was in response to previous posts but you are right and I apologise for sinking to that level. 

57 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Except it does really.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Except it does really.

So you can't see the very obvious contradiction in your statement, "Norwich won’t continue to be a Yo-Yo club. They’ll either consolidate in the Premier or get stuck indefinitely in the Championship again. History teaches us all that."? So on the one hand you are claiming that NCFC's history is a continued yo-yoing between the PL and Champs, but then claim our history shows that we will either consolidate in the PL or the Champs. Perhaps you would like to state explicitly the supressed premise you believe would save this from contradiction.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

And that’s why you’re one of the decent posters on here Kenny, even if I don’t agree with you. 👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, horsefly said:

So you can't see the very obvious contradiction in your statement, "Norwich won’t continue to be a Yo-Yo club. They’ll either consolidate in the Premier or get stuck indefinitely in the Championship again. History teaches us all that."? So on the one hand you are claiming that NCFC's history is a continued yo-yoing between the PL and Champs, but then claim our history shows that we will either consolidate in the PL or the Champs. Perhaps you would like to state explicitly the supressed premise you believe would save this from contradiction.

Don’t forget the brief stay in league 1. I stated we won’t keep fluctuating between the 2 divisions season after season. I believe Norwich will stay up 21/22 which (believe it or not) can see us improving even more. The reverse of that and dropping for a record time (if we don’t already own that one) isn’t worth thinking about. 

The model isn’t a magic wand and it’s pretty much what Norwich have always done albeit better now. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t forget the brief stay in league 1. I stated we won’t keep fluctuating between the 2 divisions season after season. I believe Norwich will stay up 21/22 which (believe it or not) can see us improving even more. The reverse of that and dropping for a record time (if we don’t already own that one) isn’t worth thinking about. 

The model isn’t a magic wand and it’s pretty much what Norwich have always done albeit better now. 

Still fail to see how your statement isn't a contradiction. The whole point of the "self-funding top 26" model is precisely to mitigate against a calamatous decline if relegation does befall the club. The clubs who get relegated but return to the PL are standardly those with the finances available to maintain the majority of their PL squad (just like Norwich did last season). Those for whom relegation precipitates a disasterous decline are standardly those whose reckless spending resulted in the mass exodus of quality players that could no longer be afforded. So history both of our club and others points precisely in the opposite direction to which you suggest. Thanks to the self-funding model we maintained a superior squad last season, and if relegation befalls us will have a superior squad next season. But I, like you, am very hopeful that we will stay up and prosper further.

• Like 1

It needs repeating that top 26 is not a ceiling, but a floor. The aim is that even if relegation is to befall the club, they are in such a strong position that at worst, they'll hit the play-offs to get back into the Premier League as a bare minimum. As it happened, after we got relegated we just bounced straight back up.

We've basically seen it in action over the last three seasons. Went up as champions, didn't survive, then did something highly unusual in recent history and came back up (already rare) as champions (extremely rare) once again.

Apart from Angus Gunn. Who I actually think is an average keeper at this level but more than good enough for a back up and Gilmore I’ve never actually heard of any of our signings.

Now don’t get me wrong I’d never heard of Emi and I don’t think I knew who Pukki was either, but! I’d also never heard of Duda or Drmic or Amadou.

I can’t see how the OP or anyone for that matter can be so confident without seeing a ball kicked. 

I’m looking forward to being back a CR on Saturday but I’m expecting a defeat. It will be the manner of the defeat that matters and the performances within that defeat that I will be watching. 

Until then I couldn’t begin to tell you whether we’ve signed Emi’s or Duda’s!

14 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I’m looking forward to being back a CR on Saturday but I’m expecting a defeat. It will be the manner of the defeat that matters and the performances within that defeat that I will be watching.

It starts 0-0 and Liverpool will have to be at their best to stop us imo. CR is a fantastic place to be and it will be rocking on Saturday and I'm gutted I won't be able to get there - and Liverpool will know they've been in a match - as they might remember from the last time they came to CR when on chances we deserved at least a draw that day.

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It starts 0-0 and Liverpool will have to be at their best to stop us imo. CR is a fantastic place to be and it will be rocking on Saturday and I'm gutted I won't be able to get there - and Liverpool will know they've been in a match - as they might remember from the last time they came to CR when on chances we deserved at least a draw that day.

You should have gone for it Lakey, ticket prices are dropping a maximum of £10 for any other league match. Liverpool at home to kick the season off doesn’t get much bigger. 

Fully concur Lakey.

I’ll be totally honest. I like the money from the premiership so it enables us to follow this project. However, at present, I much prefer the football in the Championship.

I’d have been happy for the top six to bu@@er off like they threatened earlier in the year. The playing field whilst still difficult would have evened out.

I wonder how many NCFC fans out there actually believe we should be premiership as CDMullins alluded too. No club has the right to be there. It has to be managed and worked at. As it seems the club is now doing. Getting the right people into the right places helps and I don’t just mean playing staff. There are not many present day Premiership clubs that haven’t spent time in a lower division. I can only think of 2 at the moment Arsenal & Everton.

Wow that was a long post from me. Didn’t mean to offend anyone, it is my personal opinion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Is there anyone now still in doubt that the project is not working as it was intended?  The reputation our club has been developing since Webber/Farke arrived has now reached the stage where we can attract AND afford not just good young players, but the best young players.  The two go hand in hand - attract and afford. Ya da ya da, I know we've not kicked a ball yet this season, I know we haven't got super rich owners, I know we hint bought a CB etc etc - but to say the project is not working would be a bit churlish imo. 

Yes, we could still get relegated, but yes, we could stay up and yes we could even do a lot better than just stay up, but to me this transfer window has been a vindication of the policies adopted by the club - to make us the club to go to if you are young and want to develop your career. 

It started even before Farke/Webber with attracting Maddison to the club and the bringing through of the Murphy twins so it is not a new idea and we were already recognised as a good club to go to, but in four years we have gone from being on a one way road to nowhere financially with an aging squad with huge contracts to pay, to a club totally at ease with itself financially, playing great football and attracting the best young players available from around the world. 

Beautiful football, stable and effective management, togetherness on and off  the pitch, improving finances with getting the best young talent that will get more big money transfers later on to improve finances to be able to do even more......

I mean - what's not to like??

The project may be working but it’s a massive exaggeration to say that we have bought and are attracting the best young players. Those are ones like Sancho, Haaland, De Ligt, Pedro, Joao Felix, Bellingham etc.

I am excited by the players we have bought but they are a long way below those I’ve mentioned.

The project is clearly going splendidly well at the moment and I am delighted we seem to be pushing the boat out a bit. Something like £50m on transfer fees and a hell of a lot on contractual wages. I do wonder if some on here are actually a little uncomfortable at that?

Time will tell if this year's self funding can sustain a relegation and no immediate return to the Premier League. More importantly can we survive in the Premier League with no external investment.

Exciting times and never a dull moment at NCFC.

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is the problem your opinion is bias and very emotionally charged. You have zero facts yet to base your confidence on.

As for chances they mean diddly squat. 

You may be right. We may have signed some absolutely fantastic players but I’ve seen nothing off them and neither have you. 

what happens if Liverpool roll us over say 0-4. Which could easily happen. Then what, you make another excuse and roll on Man City. 

As much as you and others can berate some for being overly negative, the same surely goes for blind belief. Let’s wait and deal in facts and figures not hopes and wishes.

OTBC

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

The project may be working but it’s a massive exaggeration to say that we have bought and are attracting the best young players. Those are ones like Sancho, Haaland, De Ligt, Pedro, Joao Felix, Bellingham etc.

I am excited by the players we have bought but they are a long way below those I’ve mentioned.

Those players you mentioned have already been snapped up by big clubs.  In Sargent and Tzolis, we have attracted players who may have been expected to wait for a much bigger club to take them on - we've effectively stolen a march on other clubs because we are seen as a good option to develop their careers before perhaps moving on to bigger things. 

To have the option to come to a club that has such a good reputation of bringing through young players means they are governed by their career rather than just the lure of big money and bright lights, savvy enough to know they will get more minutes on the pitch with us than they would with a much bigger club where they would be seen as development players and take a year or two before they get the kind of experience they will get with us.