Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Friendly Fridays: A radical proposal

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Greavsyo  and Tillo?

I can neither confirm nor deny who is in the photograph.

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I can neither confirm nor deny who is in the photograph.

In that case ,in  true Pinkun fashion I will assume that it may or may not be, will not jump to conclusions and certainly not question how they'd fare  in such a state on a wet n windy Tuesday in Stoke. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I don't have an agenda. I have no personal interest in your name. I just think if a poster prefers to use real names of others they should use their own real name.

Don't you think that would be fair?

Tbh Nuttyo, one of the funniest things that happened to me on here was when someone thought they had me Nailed for identity and ' named' me..... they were more than 50 miles out in location, wrong in occupation, wrong in both Christian and surname, wrong by nearly 40 years in age and wrong in gambling habits ( I have none). 

I'm not bothered either way but it did amuse me that someone had gone to all that effort and made themselves look a Tool.

52 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Tbh Nuttyo, one of the funniest things that happened to me on here was when someone thought they had me Nailed for identity and ' named' me..... they were more than 50 miles out in location, wrong in occupation, wrong in both Christian and surname, wrong by nearly 40 years in age and wrong in gambling habits ( I have none). 

I'm not bothered either way but it did amuse me that someone had gone to all that effort and made themselves look a Tool.

I am known as Greavsy, even IRL. 

I recommended a financial adviser that I had used previosly to a friend and told the friend to mention my name etc. 

After their first meeting the friend messaged me, and then said Ive known you for 5 years, but realised when speaking to them I don't know your real name! 

So to my mind Greavsy works is just fine, and I'll respectfully disagree with Eddie on this one.... 

Doesn't make me any more or less accountable (or not) for what I post. 

8 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I am known as Greavsy, even IRL. 

I recommended a financial adviser that I had used previosly to a friend and told the friend to mention my name etc. 

After their first meeting the friend messaged me, and then said Ive known you for 5 years, but realised when speaking to them I don't know your real name! 

So to my mind Greavsy works is just fine, and I'll respectfully disagree with Eddie on this one.... 

Doesn't make me any more or less accountable (or not) for what I post. 

I agree, for the purposes of this forum, and for me that is hearing, though not necessarily believing the latest gossip, especially the opinions, and having a laugh about pretty much anything, then a forum name is enough. 

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I agree, for the purposes of this forum, and for me that is hearing, though not necessarily believing the latest gossip, especially the opinions, and having a laugh about pretty much anything, then a forum name is enough. 

Out of likes, so 👍

Respectfully agree Corkio. 

I stopped posting on here for a long time-it was part way through DF’s first season and the atmosphere was the worst that I had seen and I was getting so wound up, and I thought I would have a break.

Then the forum changed and I couldn’t remember my password so I think I was probably away for about a year.

It isn’t that bad now but it’s getting there, which is really depressing given the fact that we are on the eve of another season in the Premier League. Some people won’t  be satisfied until we’ve actually won it-so they will never be satisfied! I usually leave them to wallow in their own misery but when I do feel the need to respond I try not to make it too personal.

Blocking helps too.

22 hours ago, horsefly said:

OK have it your way guys! I tried to suggest just one day of posting respectfully and you've made your feelings clear that that's asking a bit too much. Back to normality and I apolgise for being so bold and reckless in suggesting such a thing

Think you need to have a word with your alter-ego rather than the rest of us in all honesty 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What happened to @Jerrykerry ? He would give this idea his full support.

He started using his Bill log in again 😉

On 06/08/2021 at 10:30, horsefly said:

How about we all agree that on Fridays no one responds to another's post by slagging them off or being rude? 

I, like many it seems, find myself easily tempted into responding to those who have annoyed me with an attempted cutting riposte that descends quickly into abusive comment. Football forums, it seems, are a veritable repository of crude insults. However, the evidence is that this just stultifies debate, cements attitudes, and creates an unpleasant atmosphere.

So who's up for an experiment whereby we self-police Fridays to ensure they remain insult free? You never know, but it might just lead to an improvement in the quality of discussion on other days too.

Here's my suggestion for an initial protocol:

1. All responses involving a disagreement would begin with the code IRD (I respectfully disagree) followed by responses that entirely focus on the point(s) of disagreement.

2. All ad hominem comments forbidden (i.e. no reference to a posters past posts, or character)

No doubt there is someting utopian in what I'm suggesting. But to be clear, I'm not suggesting that we don't engage in robust disagreement, merely that we don't allow that to descend into rudeness and insults.

The amount of abuse (some of it very extreme) that is filling football forums universally surely suggests that it would do no harm to attempt something like I'm suggesting. A more pleasant environment in which to discuss the game and team we ALL love, might just encourage more people to participate in that discussion.

Thread of the year!!!! 

5 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I very rarely slag people off but do get loads of abuse for no reason 

It is indeed a mystery.🤔

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Think you need to have a word with your alter-ego rather than the rest of us in all honesty 😏

I merely offered a proposal that we might all consider how collectively we might make the football forum a more hospitable place for current users, and encourage those visitors to post who are otherwise put off doing so by the current atmosphere. I fully acknowledge that my suggestion has gone down like a lead balloon, and that there is no real desire to see things change in this respect. That's how democracy works. Perhaps there are some others out there who might have a different idea how the forum could encourage new members to contribute (although I suspect some of the responses on this thread will hardly encourage them to come forward). 

FYI Bill is not my alter ego, I have only ever posted under this name. I do find it sad and disrespectful when people start throwing around playground accusations like this. I have said on numerous occasions that I am happy for anyone who is so obssessed to contact the forum administrators to confirm that I only post under this name (I have said on many occasions that they have my permission to do so).

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

As Norwich fans we should all be making love to each other 💚💛

Are you suggesting we turn Carrow Road into the biggest dogging venue in the UK? (Record Breakers will need prior warning of times and dates).

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I merely offered a proposal that we might all consider how collectively we might make the football forum a more hospitable place for current users, and encourage those visitors to post who are otherwise put off doing so by the current atmosphere. I fully acknowledge that my suggestion has gone down like a lead balloon, and that there is no real desire to see things change in this respect. That's how democracy works. Perhaps there are some others out there who might have a different idea how the forum could encourage new members to contribute (although I suspect some of the responses on this thread will hardly encourage them to come forward). 

FYI Bill is not my alter ego, I have only ever posted under this name. I do find it sad and disrespectful when people start throwing around playground accusations like this. I have said on numerous occasions that I am happy for anyone who is so obssessed to contact the forum administrators to confirm that I only post under this name (I have said on many occasions that they have my permission to do so).

I never said anything about Bill, I was just having a chuckle...... Have we dropped ourself in it? 😉

18 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Are you suggesting we turn Carrow Road into the biggest dogging venue in the UK? (Record Breakers will need prior warning of times and dates).

What’s dogging? 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What’s dogging? 

Walking the hound 🐕 in the park!

This thread turned out well! 😂👍 love the sentiment but reality is discussing things are difficult enough with different points of view down the pub! Behind a keyboard with lots on a wind up, or hidden agendas makes it nearly impossible!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

This thread turned out well! 😂👍 love the sentiment but reality is discussing things are difficult enough with different points of view down the pub! Behind a keyboard with lots on a wind up, or hidden agendas makes it nearly impossible!

Absolutely agree. Great idea, but people can't or won't change their views / posting style. 

Shame. 

I don't think I've hardly ever had a really bad argument with anyone on this board though a couple of posters come to mind who come across obnoxiously. If someone does come across as a **** then I tend to simply let it pass. Not really bothered to become upset. Yet... I do have to make an actual conscious decision not to react strongly in kind. I might be upset for a few minutes but it passes.

To get into long  public thread arguments is rarely productive. Occasionally it works as folk re-assess. A great example being Indy and Keelandgrandad having a disagreement over a year ago about lockdown and the economy etc. Over a few hours and overnight it was all sorted. That made a fantastic read at the time for me.

Morty used to anger people (but quite kind to me) but I used to think I should  stop posting and indeed I went a long while hardly ever posting. Reading all these disagreements does put me off posting on this forum. And I think many others might think the same.

Yet it's the humour here that tends to save the day. And I want to thank the many, many posters on this forum (you'll know who you are!!) who post such funny responses.

I have another radical suggestion to offer - how about we use this forum to discuss football-based opinions, rather than our opinions of each other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

I never said anything about Bill, I was just having a chuckle...... Have we dropped ourself in it? 😉

Not in the slightest! Certain individuals have pushed that  tripe on several occasions, and it is really very tiresome and extremely childish. 

9 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Totally agree which was my point. Nutty or nuttyo should be enough.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Maybe Friendly Sunday would work better being the sabbath but the sentiment was spot on. 

We go again as they say in Football and who’s to say next Friday won’t be a roaring success. Remember although we support City united we're stronger. 

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Totally agree which was my point. Nutty or nuttyo should be enough.

OK Eddie!