Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

Russell Martin in the running to manage Swansea

According to the Athletic, it’s him or Jody Morris. I’ve seen plaudits for the way he’s got MK Dons playing but hadn’t realised he would be considered for this sort of step up.

I suppose now we’ve given Farke a four year contract he’s got to park any ambition to come here.

Edited by Nuff Said

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

According to the Athletic, it’s him or Jody Morris. I’ve seen plaudits for the way he’s got MK Dons playing but hadn’t realised he would be considered for this sort of step up.

I suppose now we’ve given Farke a four year contract he’s got to park any ambition to come here.

Russ is still a very young coach, so he has the best part of three decades in which to come here should he be successful elsewhere. It would probably be a good thing for all concerned if he were to get the Swansea job as it's certainly a step up and Martin's style would fit Swansea's over the past few years (from Martinez, Rodgers and Laudrup to Potter and Cooper) like a glove.

Maybe it's just me but it I was a manager who was in an English League no way would I want to manage a Welsh team regardless of what they offered to pay me, constantly having to travel hundreds of miles every match? No thanks hard enough as a fan nevermind doing it as a job

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Maybe it's just me but it I was a manager who was in an English League no way would I want to manage a Welsh team regardless of what they offered to pay me, constantly having to travel hundreds of miles every match? No thanks hard enough as a fan nevermind doing it as a job

Have you looked to see where Norwich is on a map recently? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given that Swansea has a motorway heading out of it and you don't need to leave the motorway system to arrive at any of the major UK cities, is it really any more awkward than Norwich?

Screenshot_20210727-090544.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Good point CC. Whereas Norwich on the other hand is famously the absolute epicentre of the country isn’t it?

If I were a centipede I might have enough palms to press to my face right now…

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Possibly a good place for us to loan some players to now?

Maybe we should cancel Josh Martin’s loan and send him to Swansea now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe we should cancel Josh Martin’s loan and send him to Swansea now?

I'll just spin that round. 

Last season,  would we have accepted / expected spurs recalling Skipp when Jose was sacked?

19 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I'll just spin that round. 

Last season,  would we have accepted / expected spurs recalling Skipp when Jose was sacked?

Not a serious comment Greavsy, I was more wondering whether it was the club or the coach that mattered more. I suspect the latter.

You should always sign for the club, as the manager may move, of course. 

However, as with Russ I this case, it's the personal link that has been instrament in the move. 

19 minutes ago, astro said:

I fear this move is much too soon..Huge amount of pressure to succeed. 

Agreed. He was saying he was committed to the Dons only to jump ship hours later. I think Swansea have panicked with their start to the season only a week away and Rus has done the dirty on the Dons so big pressure for him and the Swans to be successful.

• Like 1

Up to Russ of course, but the Swansea set up is not a great one and he might have been better staying a MKDons for another season or two and build something there with a bit less pressure.  Swansea will expect good things from him, I hope he can deliver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

Agreed. He was saying he was committed to the Dons only to jump ship hours later. I think Swansea have panicked with their start to the season only a week away and Rus has done the dirty on the Dons so big pressure for him and the Swans to be successful.

A bit premature given he had barely got his feet under the table at MK, and so is still a relative 'newbie' manager wise.

That he was second choice after John Eustice pulled out at the last minute suggests this might be a panic appointment. And with a month left for transfers, it does not leave much time to assess who is who in the Swans squad, and to find Championship level players where needed.

However, I doubt the irony of MK fans whining about another club pinching part of their club (managerial staff) will be lost on most outside of MK.

Biter bitten, it would seem.

I can’t believe expectations can be that high at Swansea with their parachute payments finishing and their best/most highly paid players leaving. I’d have thought it was a bit of a free hit for Russ for at least a year, with a ready-made excuse on hand.

Swanseas squad is looking threadbare so he has a big challenge on his hands to even make it to top half.   Whether he gets a free hit will be down to whether gets the team playing - a relegation battle - which for me looks likely will be add enormous pressure.

2 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Risky move from Russ. Could have played it safe and done another mid-table season at MK Dons, but perhaps the right move.

Not so much playing it safe, but honouring his contract. If Cantwell or Aarons leave this summer then it is after tremendous hard work at the club to make themselves into the players they now are - and neither have jumped at the first offer it would seem.

Martin was not first choice, but moved very quickly after Eustice had turned down Swansea. Hurst at the binners showed how a manager with limited success can come a cropper when stepping up too quickly (Lampard ?)

Martin should have stayed at MK and proved himself, as well as getting experience. He is only 35. Plenty of time to move through the divisions - and I would be wary of his 'loyalty' if City came calling.

As much as Lambert did well at City, we should not have been surprised at his hurried move to Villa - when looking at his previous behaviour.