PockthorpePete

Hugill, sale or loan ?

Sell if possible. If it was me I’d swap him for Armstrong along with Trybull and grow in some cash as a make weight. Hugill is from up north so he’ll fit in better. 

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

He's clearly not... though he's back peddling quicker than a very drunk Flintoff in a pedalo. 

Brilliant (out of likes) 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

Hugill is from up north so he’ll fit in better.

😂 why is that ? Is it because they talk funny or is it the northern food ? 

1 minute ago, Jersey Canary said:

Sell if possible. If it was me I’d swap him for Armstrong along with Trybull and grow in some cash as a make weight. Hugill is from up north so he’ll fit in better. 

That doesn't sound like a deal Blackburn would be the slightest bit interested in.

21 minutes ago, chicken said:

He's clearly not... though he's back peddling quicker than a very drunk Flintoff in a pedalo. 

An example of that.

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Not true. Holt was always all over the pitch chasing the ball and closing down defenders. Hugill seems to think his job is to amble around a 10 yard space. He looked way out of his depth last season. At West Ham, he made all of three sub appearances of 22 minutes in total before they shipped him out. He will be gone before the transfer window closes.

Holt could play and had a good footballing brain. Hugill couldn’t trap a bag of cement.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I’d be worried going into the new season with just Pukki, Idah and Hugill as up front options.

Though I have a feeling Idah will be sounded out in pre season and could well be used from the wing rather than an out an out striker aka Pukki. I have no idea about Idah truth be told, we’ve all seen glimpses of what could be but there seems to be a massive amount of expectation hanging on him coming good.

Hugill is our third striker in the vein of Srbeny last time, who scored against Everton and could always be a useful option off the bench / cup games. And as others have said, is a personality around the first team and has experience he can share. Which goes a long way. Bringing in someone with that experience and quality to sit on a bench and be happy with it is likely to be more difficult that it’s worth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I’d be worried going into the new season with just Pukki, Idah and Hugill as up front options.

Though I have a feeling Idah will be sounded out in pre season and could well be used from the wing rather than an out an out striker aka Pukki. I have no idea about Idah truth be told, we’ve all seen glimpses of what could be but there seems to be a massive amount of expectation hanging on him coming good.

Hugill is our third striker in the vein of Srbeny last time, who scored against Everton and could always be a useful option off the bench / cup games. And as others have said, is a personality around the first team and has experience he can share. Which goes a long way. Bringing in someone with that experience and quality to sit on a bench and be happy with it is likely to be more difficult that it’s worth. 

We'll sign a striker

• Like 1

If you play one striker up top and he's:

1. Consistently scoring, and
2. Showing good workrate and movement when not in possession, and
3. Rarely injured or suspended

then by definition other strikers will not get much of a look in. Srbeny suffered from the fact he wasn't Pukki. What made Pukki remarkable was that he came in, started scoring almost instantly and just never looked back. It was as if his movement was perfect for our attacking midfielders, particularly Stiepermann and Buendia, to pick up and keep pinging balls in to him.

The net result is that the other strikers don't get much game time, don't get the same chance to show their ability, and are also less well-integrated into the team in terms of playing time. Of course they're not going to look as good. Hugill certainly causes a different set of problems, but he also needs an old-school winger in the mixer. He was looking quite decent with Placheta (especially in the FA Cup against Coventry) or Hernandez down one side.

• Like 1

That must explain why WHU only used him as a sub for 3 games (22 mins). And his failure elsewhere. Even PNE shipped him out on loan to L2 Hartlepool and Tranmere. And before that Port Vale shipped him out on loan to non league Gateshead. A pattern seems to be in place. Mostly around playing in L2 and failing when above that level.

12 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

That must explain why WHU only used him as a sub for 3 games (22 mins). And his failure elsewhere. Even PNE shipped him out on loan to L2 Hartlepool and Tranmere. And before that Port Vale shipped him out on loan to non league Gateshead. A pattern seems to be in place. Mostly around playing in L2 and failing when above that level.

Port Vale shipped him on loan to Gateshead early in his pro career where he slapped in five in seven games. He played well enough at Vale for Preston to buy him. The loans to Tranmere and Hartlepool was due to his having had a bad injury putting him out for several months so was playing his way back in.

He obviously recovered from those pretty well if he had the 2016/7 season he did (so he's 24-25 now, a good age for a striker) and Moyes thought he was worth lashing £10m on. Didn't quite stick there, Middlesborough wasn't awesome, but he was strong at QPR - as he was leading the line every week. So, the notion that he fails when above L2 is absurd as he's had at least two good seasons at Champs level, namely at Preston and at QPR.

Probably not good enough for the Premiership, but neither were Steve Morrison or Aaron Wilbraham and they both got us top-flight goals on occasion. And they had a pacey winger somewhere in the ranks more often than not. As others have said, his goal-per-minutes ratio with us is actually quite impressive.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

A good character in the dressing room ! We are going to pay PL wages for a warm up man ? And I am supposed to be the one on a wind up ? If he was any good, you would not be needing to rely on that.

How good do you expect arguably our 3rd or 4th choice striker to be?

Considering how busy we are elsewhere in the market and how short of first team depth we are  I can’t see him moving on even if I thought he wasn’t good enough to be in the squad.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Port Vale shipped him on loan to Gateshead early in his pro career where he slapped in five in seven games. He played well enough at Vale for Preston to buy him. The loans to Tranmere and Hartlepool was due to his having had a bad injury putting him out for several months so was playing his way back in.

He obviously recovered from those pretty well if he had the 2016/7 season he did (so he's 24-25 now, a good age for a striker) and Moyes thought he was worth lashing £10m on. Didn't quite stick there, Middlesborough wasn't awesome, but he was strong at QPR - as he was leading the line every week. So, the notion that he fails when above L2 is absurd as he's had at least two good seasons at Champs level, namely at Preston and at QPR.

Probably not good enough for the Premiership, but neither were Steve Morrison or Aaron Wilbraham and they both got us top-flight goals on occasion. And they had a pacey winger somewhere in the ranks more often than not. As others have said, his goal-per-minutes ratio with us is actually quite impressive.

His goals per minute ratio would have some meaning if they were over a longer amount of playing time, and 20% were not a penalty. Moyes paying £10m counts for no more than that we paid heavily for RVW and Naismith. He started well at QPR but fell away the latter part of the season. We had to go with what we had last time in the PL. We should not be doing it this time. As you say, he is probably not good enough. I have yet to hear, or read anyone say he is. Which answers the OP.

8 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

He was signed by Moyes just before he was sacked by West Ham was he not?

Signed Jan 2018. Moyes sacked (end of season) May 2018.

31 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

His goals per minute ratio would have some meaning if they were over a longer amount of playing time, and 20% were not a penalty. Moyes paying £10m counts for no more than that we paid heavily for RVW and Naismith. He started well at QPR but fell away the latter part of the season. We had to go with what we had last time in the PL. We should not be doing it this time. As you say, he is probably not good enough. I have yet to hear, or read anyone say he is. Which answers the OP.

You really are willing to die on this hill aren’t you?! Basically Hugill is likely to be third choice, and is likely to not get a sniff unless really needed. 

I’ll say it again, how many other strikers can you buy for 2/3 mill that are knowingly willing to sit on a bench and not get used unless in cup ties / as a last ditch punt at winning a game / emergency cover AND who have a positive impact on those around them? 

i think Hugill will Accept being 3rd choice and will not Rock the boat and keep a happy dressing room 

play in cups etc and be on the bench 

Idah i think maybe the break through youngster this season 

that is Exactly how these youngster break onto the scene they either take the chance or fail 

if he is as Good as Farke / Webber And other managers think he has got something about him 

3 hours ago, PockthorpePete said:

Heise, Watkins, Franke, Roberts, Drmic, Husband, Passlack, Srbenny .....

That lot didn’t cost too much did they? 

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Drmic - free, looked a handful at times, ultimately didn't work out, but we were shopping in the bargain basement.

He was a handful of something and it didn't smell good.

1 minute ago, Krul Mistress said:

He was a handful of something and it didn't smell good.

Must be why the entire Spurs backline avoided him... 😂

46 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

You really are willing to die on this hill aren’t you?! Basically Hugill is likely to be third choice, and is likely to not get a sniff unless really needed. 

I’ll say it again, how many other strikers can you buy for 2/3 mill that are knowingly willing to sit on a bench and not get used unless in cup ties / as a last ditch punt at winning a game / emergency cover AND who have a positive impact on those around them? 

Pointing out that Hugill is not up to it, as you and others admit, means I am dying on a hill ? We cannot afford any passengers this time around. That is why he will not be here come September.

10 minutes ago, Big O said:

That lot didn’t cost too much did they? 

Your point being ?

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Pointing out that Hugill is not up to it, as you and others admit, means I am dying on a hill ? We cannot afford any passengers this time around. That is why he will not be here come September.

Hang on, Bill is Pockthorpe Pete?

• Haha 1

Can't disagree Op..... cold hard facts, Hugill has no mobility, his game doesn't suit our style at all and even against Championship defenders, most of his challenges resulted in free-kicks against.   If we lump it long in desperation, he won't hold it up, he's not the answer.   

To argue a decent goal ratio is flawed.....  the came in the final minutes of matches when teams are knackered as we've passed them to death.   To argue he's good around the place..... we've been carrying players for years because they are good in the changing room.... aren't we being more ruthless now?

To go into the Prem with Jordan as No. 2 (or 3), well that's 'like going to war without a gun'!      Expect the pecking order is more likely Pukki, Idah / Rashica, Hugill.    

Don't really get this criticism of RVW since he was never really given any chance.   Hughton, employed tactics that rarely got us over the halfway line, so how was this guy supposed to impress.

The kid was never going to hold the ball up and needed service which we couldn't / didn't give him.    Hughton, who completely destroyed that team, is responsible for that sad legacy.  

We certainly can’t say Hugill is happy to be third choice, if that’s true I don’t want him in a City shirt! Too many like Naismith are happy to sit around and take the money without putting in too much effort….I want Hugill to be unhappy every time he doesn’t get picked, I want him keen to show he deserves a place on the pitch……..

The reality is we could be reliant on our third choice striker if Pukki gets injured and Idah fails to step up! So are we really happy to say Hugill can be a striker to get us goals in the premiership? I’m not so confident and as such would much rather see a real challenger to Pukki bought in!

32 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Hang on, Bill is Pockthorpe Pete?

yep, thought I would pop by as the info on Hugill is straight from one of the coaching staff. He is as bad as stated. No fault on Webber/Farke's part though. There have been others who have not worked out, that is the nature of the policy.

The problem has been trying to find another club who will take him. The thought being that wewill have to cough up most of his wages either way. But be absolutely assured, the club don't see him in their plans for the future.

That's all. I should be back around the end of August unless the contract is extended.