My partners grandson is nine, and I have managed to convert him and his brother to City fans, both are now junior members.The youngest  has just been spotted and been offered a trial for the Binners of all teams! I don’t know weather to be happy or sad

If he does well at his trial and they show some interest I would get in touch with Colney, or failing that Cambridge to see if he could have a trial with them

To be honest, if he’s been offered a trial, get in contact with the likes of Peterborough, they’ve got a superb set up there, they’d look at him too! Recent time’s Ipswich have ruined more youth products then coached them into success.

• Like 1

I've seen a few kids through the process of  trials and my advice to them is always the same " go and enjoy it, but remember,  your future will not be decided  today" as someone said, if he's any good, he'll get other offers but he should definitely  go to the trials ( called assessments  nowadays....less threatening to the little flowers) if for no other reason than the experience,  which will make any other  invites less daunting. To be invited,  he will already have been watched and impressed  someone in regular  games, remind him of this . Whatever the outcome,  it should be a good experience,  assessments of young players has moved on a long way from getting a tap on the shoulder after an hour and being told " Go home son, you're not  what we're looking for ". 

• Like 1

I think if they have a genuine chance of making it, you have to take your football alliance out of it. What would you rather, he go on to carve a decent career involving Ipswich, or he ends up not making it in football? 

• Like 1

Oh and like others have said, that could lead to him getting trials elsewhere, happened with my mates kid who had a trial with Norwich academy recently after training with Ipswich youth set up. 

That is amazing, I would be really proud, and would not worry about trying to switch academies to soon.  Norwich do a great job of poaching the best from the local other academies as the kid hit 14/15

11 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I think if they have a genuine chance of making it, you have to take your football alliance out of it. What would you rather, he go on to carve a decent career involving Ipswich, or he ends up not making it in football? 

It was really a tongue in cheek topic, I would be over the moon whoever he plays for! It is really just a pleasure just to see him playing and enjoying it at the moment. He is still only nine after all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chief stoker said:

It was really a tongue in cheek topic, I would be over the moon whoever he plays for! It is really just a pleasure just to see him playing and enjoying it at the moment. He is still only nine after all

To have  " spottable ability" at nine is a great thing.  Best of luck to him.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

That is amazing, I would be really proud, and would not worry about trying to switch academies to soon.  Norwich do a great job of poaching the best from the local other academies as the kid hit 14/15

Exactly, we are Cat.1.

They remain Cat. 2.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Exactly, we are Cat.1.

They remain Cat. 2.

Like water,  he'll  find his level.  

• Like 1

Id be ecstatic if any of my kids got a trial anywhere. Even Accrington Stanley! Took them twice weekly to an academy run by current/ex pro's until I realised they had no natural talent, no real interest and not much that could be coached!

6 hours ago, Chief stoker said:

My partners grandson is nine, and I have managed to convert him and his brother to City fans, both are now junior members.The youngest  has just been spotted and been offered a trial for the Binners of all teams! I don’t know weather to be happy or sad

All Stokers a beef, especially the Chief!!

9 hours ago, Windy Yellow said:

All Stokers a beef, especially the Chief!!

9 hours ago, Windy Yellow said:

Windy, if you know you know 😆

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

If he does well at his trial and they show some interest I would get in touch with Colney, or failing that Cambridge to see if he could have a trial with them

I prefer to look at it from the other angle: just imagine if he fails at Ipswich… 

Just joshing around - good luck to the young’un, OP

19 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

go on to carve a decent career involving Ipswich, or he ends up not making it in football? 

Much of a muchness, Ken

P.s good luck to your other half’s Grandson, Stoker!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Always take kids where they are wanted and will learn the most.  If that is Ipswich, so be it.  My lad who is 9 also is at Newport County (Cat 3) and absolutely loves the opportunity to play and learn.  He's at a level where I can't offer him too much now, his free kicks, ball control etc is better than mine already.

If one day he was offered Wales (schoolboy or better) rather than England, I wouldn't let my alleigance or his stand in his way.

Be happy, if he's any good he'll get the chance to showcase his talents and will get picked up by a bigger and better club!

22 hours ago, Chief stoker said:

Ok so maybe once a year or so I will do a post to say how things are panning out good or bad 

How about monthly during the season, will be interesting to know how he’s getting on 

58 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

How about monthly during the season, will be interesting to know how he’s getting on 

58 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Ok Frank, if there is anything to tell I will post it, at the moment though it is only a trial and as you know it may be of a case of thanks but no thanks.

6 minutes ago, Chief stoker said:

Ok Frank, if there is anything to tell I will post it, at the moment though it is only a trial and as you know it may be of a case of thanks but no thanks.

He's more likely to be told which parts of his game he needs to work on most, rather than ' no thanks' , if they don't take him on, with assurances that  they'll keep  an eye on him, after all  he is only nine, as the old chestnut  about players developing  at different  rates is very true. 

Though it hurts me to say it as I am no fan. There's  a bit in Roy Keanes early career  biography about his struggle  to even get a trial at all with some clubs, which may show the lad that there's many a slip tween cup and lip.... and one set back just sets up the next opportunity. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

He's more likely to be told which parts of his game he needs to work on most, rather than ' no thanks' , if they don't take him on, with assurances that  they'll keep  an eye on him, after all  he is only nine, as the old chestnut  about players developing  at different  rates is very true. 

Though it hurts me to say it as I am no fan. There's  a bit in Roy Keanes early career  biography about his struggle  to even get a trial at all with some clubs, which may show the lad that there's many a slip tween cup and lip.... and one set back just sets up the next opportunity. 

Thank you for your wise words, as I really don’t have a clue how these things work. I am just happy watching him play.